Newcastle United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Newcastle United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Newcastle United 3 Manchester City 4
FT Stats
Possession
Newcastle 17.7% City 82.3%
Corners
Newcastle 4 City 5
Offsides
Newcastle 1 City 0 (City OS no offsides)
Fouls
Newcastle 11 City 10
Cards
Newcastle 2 Y City 2 Y (Rodri, Cancelo)
On Target
Newcastle 5 City 6
Woodwork
Newcastle 1 City 1
Off Target
Newcastle 6 City 9 (PL site has 11 Newcastle shots, City 15 - City OS Newcastle 3 shots City 7 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/59253

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/newcastle-united-v-manchester-city

Stat attack...📈
🔹 Newcastle United's only victory in the past 27 Premier League meetings was by 2-1 at home in January 2019.

🔹 The Magpies have managed just 49 shots in their eight league matches against Pep Guardiola's Manchester City, averaging <23% possession across those games.

🔹 However, City have now only won two of their five most recent away league games against the Magpies despite taking the lead in all three games they failed to win (D2, L1).
Stat attack (part two)...📈
🔹 Pep Guardiola has led a team to the title in nine of his 12 top-flight seasons as a manager.

🔹 City establish an English league record of 12 successive away victories. They share the current record of 11 with Chelsea.

🔹 City will set a new record of 23 away games unbeaten in all competitions by a side in England's top four divisions, surpassing Notts County's 2012 run in League One.

1f4ca.png

Man City made 919 passes (completing 868) against Newcastle tonight – both totals were the most by a team in a PL match this season. The Magpies completed 129 of 191 passes

'Ferran's been a great signing'
Gareth Taylor on Ferran Torres:

"He’s had a great night, he’s been a great signing and for someone who’s 21 years old to be producing these types of performances, and he doesn't play week in week out but when he does he tends to have a massive effect."

22:10
'An incredible week'
Newcastle 3-4 Man City

Manchester City forward Ferran Torres, speaking to Sky Sports: "It has been an incredible week, we qualified for the Champions League, won the Premier League and I scored a hat-trick. Very happy.

"I try to improve day by day and also try to learn from my team-mates and my manager. I try to keep improving and getting ready for the Champions League final.

"I always try to go to the first post for set pieces, I flicked the ball and I think it was a very beautiful goal."

22:28
'We weren't quite good enough'
Newcastle 3-4 Man City

Newcastle manager Steve Bruce, speaking to BBC Sport: "Overall our attacking play was good on the counter attack and we just weren't quite good enough on the night.

"The biggest compliment I can pay them is that it's difficult to set up against them. There are large periods where you don't get a kick because they're so good in possession."

On whether Newcastle can keep Joe Willock: "We have to respect that Joe is Arsenal's player but if it's possible we'd love to keep him."

On criticism this season: "If you're going to do the job in the Premier League you come in for criticism, sometimes it's unjust. I always said when we had our players fit we'd be alright.

"I'm a football manager and I've been doing it a long time but I'm prepared to work away at it and grow an even thicker skin."

22:28
'The spirit was there'
Newcastle 3-4 Man City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to BBC Sport about Ferran Torres: "Incredible numbers and goals in his first season in the Premier League. He is so young and clinical. He is a guy brought as a winger but maybe we have to think as a striker. He is a good player."

On Raheem Sterling: "He was comfortable. He play a position up front. When we conceded 3-2 the way his action for 3-3 was magnificent."

On the game: "We play against 10 players in the box, they defend so deep. They are so, so fast on the counter. A tough, tough opponent. Even with that we attacked good in the pockets but we conceded three goals in set pieces and we have to improve that."

On Scott Carson: "We are incredibly happy for him. He is an important player for us. He is a real leader and today was an exceptional day to let him play."

On breaking records and going on winning runs: "It is what we have done, four years together. When people say you don't win the Champions League the team is a failure, or the players are a failure or the manager is a failure, football is consistent. The important is you win the Premier League. You have to celebrate, one day train and come here but the spirit was there. Once we were down, come back, 3-2 come back but just learn come back as soon as possible and arrive in the best condition as possible in the final."

22:33
'A proud moment'
Newcastle 3-4 Man City

Manchester City goalkeeper Scott Carson, speaking to BBC Sport: "I think have come to expect things like this when I play games!

"I enjoyed every minute of being back out there. I am glad we won at the end of the day. At one point I think I forgot what it felt like to actually play a game. Unfortunately no fans and my family couldn't come but another proud moment in my career.

"Three points were the most important thing, it wasn't about me."

On Pep Guardiola: "It is unbelievable. He is nothing like I have seen before. He is a tactical genius, as simple as that."

On possibly getting a Premier League winners medal: "I am not sure, if I get offered one I won't turn it down but I've role to play here. I just want to keep supporting the lads as best I can."