Newcastle and FFP | Vital Football

Newcastle and FFP

QPR are currently appealing against a £40m FFP fine after a tribunal dismissed their claim that it was unlawful. Not sure if the timescales but it was still ongoing as at 30th April.

McClaren in his first press conference was talking about them paying that fine over time and it limiting what they could do on transfers

Newcastle don’t have to pay anything unless they are relegated is my understanding of how the FFP sanctions work. Could be wrong but im pretty sure that was the issue with QPR.

Yep QPR stuck the metaphoric two fingers up to the Football League in the mistaken belief that they would stay up.

I am sure if Newcastle are relegated, the rules will be applied evenly. I would guess QPR would ensure that!

Newcastle don’t have to pay anything unless they are relegated is my understanding of how the FFP sanctions work. Could be wrong but im pretty sure that was the issue with QPR.

QPR are currently the test case. Leicester and Bournemouth have paid up much smaller amounts without being relegated yet. Do the rules say anything about interest being charged, because it's pretty certain they will get relegated one day. Outside the big six and Everton, has anyone lasted ten years at the top level out of the teams still there?

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/SEASONS-IN-TOP-FLIGHT----1888-89-to-2009-10.html

Just looking at this to the end of 2016/17. The longest serving club outside the big 6 (and Everton) was Sunderland who got relegated after 10 years. The strange thing is, the three longest serving clubs last season other than the big ones were Stoke, West Brom and Swansea, who all got relegated!

When I was born Everton had just been promoted to the top league. With the exception of Arsenal and Everton, I can remember all the Premier clubs playing in League 2.

It does seem utterly incompetent that rules stipulate you can’t spend unfairly to gain an advantage unless you spend enough to get promoted then you don’t have to worry & then if you do ever get punished the punishment for overspending is a massive fine. It’s shameful & that level of stupidity could only come from football authorities.

It does seem utterly incompetent that rules stipulate you can’t spend unfairly to gain an advantage unless you spend enough to get promoted then you don’t have to worry & then if you do ever get punished the punishment for overspending is a massive fine. It’s shameful & that level of stupidity could only come from football authorities.

Blame the PL as always as they refused to support FFP...

The fines for breaching the rules are set in stone:

There is a sliding scale for losses that fall between 8m and 18m, after that the fine is matched on the losses on a pound for pound basis.

The losses are only accountable if they relate to transfer fees and wages etc; infrastructure and Academy costs are not included.

That is why total losses do not always equal the amount the club breached FFP by; most clubs know how to use the rules to their advantage, hopefully we do now.

Once their accounts had been unravelled, Leicester and Bournemouth had no option but to pay up.

QPRs case was slightly different; they went down the appeal court route once it became clear they were bang to rights, which was their prerogative.

Be interesting to see how Newcastle's accounts are interpreted by the powers that be.

If clubs were and are getting off lightly you can bet your bollocks to a barn dance that the other clubs would be up in arms, but they are not.

The only people complaining are the malcontents on the interweb who do not understand the rules and think that their club are being hard done to.

What other sanction can they impose?

Penalties can only be levied once the rules have been breached.

Once an offending club is out of their jurisdiction, that is promoted to the PL, the FL have no power to enforce any other sanction.

Most clubs know how to bend and circumvent the rules, and they know what the penalties are and can calculate if taking a gamble will be worthwhile.

And that would be very much true whatever the rules are.