Newbies | Vital Football

Newbies

rossi2001

Vital Reserves Team
This is for all the Newbie City fans.
This is your week. Let me explain.
I first watched the blues, perched on top of an iron crush barrier in the Platt Lane end supported by my dad, then in early teenage years progressed to the delights of the famous Kippax, managing to harness the joys of swaying back and forth in the ever moving waves of human mass. Not for us a Spion Kop or dare I say a Stretford end but a complete side of the ground to witness the joys and sadness that our heroes would bestow on us.
Later years saw me transfer to the new North stand as season ticket holder and, in more mature and prosperous years, into the main stand.
Those decades were to be called “character building” according to my dad. How right he was.
You Newbies will never understand fully the meanings of small talk when we mention York City. Never understand why, at half time, chasing promotion and 3 nil up, decided to pass round an enlarged beach ball in celebration, only to watch the tide of expectation deflate our joy (as well as the beach ball) when we failed to hold onto that lead. Character building.
You’ll never understand the eulogising of Colin Bell, when you log into YouTube and wonder why there is only ten minutes or so of the man we called Nijinsky (and not even a wonder goal to watch).
You Newbies with your KDB shirts can only guess at some of the weird chants such as “We’re not really here” or “where were you when we was...!”
This is why you need this particular week. You can all join in with the songs but fail to feel the depth of emotion that has nurtured thousands of torn souls. So, in say, the next ten years, when City have probably won the Champions league a couple of times as well as all other trophies, you can stand proud, knowing you’ve earned the right to be there. You can remember this week as a true learning curve which City provide free of charge. In those future years you can lift your sky blue scarf high and sing to all and sundrie “We never win at home and we never win away” knowing full well you’ve earned the right.
That’s why you Newbies need this week.
As my dad said...”Character building son!”
Rossi.

Yes!
In the article I probably meant to emphasise the lack of camera coverage in those distant days when most of the best things were never actually committed to film (unlike today).
Your article certainly stirred up quite a bit interest via our VMC Facebook page. Nice one Rossi :clap:

Still the best strip next to sky blue. If memory serves we paraded it at Everton first. (Dont put money on it...the memory has developed cracks!!!)

I think they wore it in the semi fainal at Villa against Everton the bus was late getting there and we missed the start, but luckily we were at the end Tommy Booth scored the winner from a Neil Young corner

Wow....
The opening post was a pleasure to read,I've got no interest in the Premier League and all of the billions associated with it,it makes me sick,I dispare at the money that the top six clubs spend on transfers compared to what lower league clubs manage on,but what a post,I sometimes forget about the fans that supported them through the unglamorous years,forgetting that they deserve to see their club in the good times after the gloomy years of the 70's and 80's,I've still got no time for the 18yr old fans wearing their City/United/Liverpool/Chelski shirts who havie never been to a home game never mind an away one,but you Rossi and the others like you I appauld,that a great post sir

Last edited: