New Zealand Test Series | Page 6 | Vital Football

New Zealand Test Series

Wow what a run chase. Chasing 378 in the fourth innings, almost trouble free this morning to win by 7 wickets. Root and Bairstow still there at the end with a partnership of 269. Highest chase by England I think, brilliant
Just watched this myself. Brilliant!

I am (not joking) going to need to re think my life long mantra of win the toss, bat first and finish day one on 270 with 2 or 3 wickets down.

Credit to the people responsible for producing good (fair and balanced) pitches, which have hit the sweet spot when combined with the Duke's ball and the new England approach.

If you have a great side like the Aussies and West Indies used to have, then you don't have to be so gung ho as you can play positive, front foot bullying cricket which is relatively risk free and retains control.

With England they don't have a great side but do have three or four really excellent players so I see the approach as pragmatic: Let's be positive, aggressive and give it a go. Sometimes it will come off spectacularly but until we have a very strong team we will just have to accept that it will equally spectacularly back fire from time to time. Whatever, it will certainly make for gripping exciting matches more often than not with possibly a few 2 day tests thrown in for good measure :grinning:

Oh and another happy outcome from this test, Kohli will be absolutely (as Nas Hussain puts it) ticking. A brilliant cricketer and supreme competitor, but boy does he hate it when things don't go his or India's way.

Likes to give it out, well suck it up for once sunshine.

Oh and another happy outcome from this test, Kohli will be absolutely (as Nas Hussain puts it) ticking. A brilliant cricketer and supreme competitor, but boy does he hate it when things don't go his or India's way.

Likes to give it out, well suck it up for once sunshine.

In November 2019, Kohli had 27 test hundreds and Joe Root had 16.

In July 2022, Kohli has... 27 test hundreds, and Root has 28.

Wow what a run chase. Chasing 378 in the fourth innings, almost trouble free this morning to win by 7 wickets. Root and Bairstow still there at the end with a partnership of 269. Highest chase by England I think, brilliant
You wonder how many they could have got in these 4th innings! Didn’t look troubled and only 3 wickets down

You wonder how many they could have got in these 4th innings! Didn’t look troubled and only 3 wickets down

I think under the new regime we think we can chase down anything we want. If we’d try to bat out for the draw we’d have probably lost. I’m loving this positive outlook, it won’t always work but it just puts pressure on the bowling team to the point where they don’t know where to bowl to us