New Zealand Bans Smoking | Page 2 | Vital Football

New Zealand Bans Smoking

It might just help reduce a % of youngsters who would have tried it otherwise mighten it? And then, those who still want to will find a way and will no doubt regret it.

I am sure the likes of Fieldy wish they had never started, unless I'm in any way wrong @mike_field

Nope, wish I'd never started and wish I'd have been able to kick it by now. Must admit I don't know a single smoker who feels differently either.

It is certainly one of the most addictive things out there, got to be up there with crack cocaine and heroin, if it was easy to kick, so many would, even if you take into account the price, let alone the rest of the baggage of fags!

It's why I've always said if the Gov were serious about quitting for the health aspects, they'd have forced companies to reduce the additive levels by 5/10% each year to help wean people off.

As it's also the habit addiction - I get can through 4-6 fags without realising I've had them when I'm concentrating and working - but can go hours without one at other points when I simply keep myself occupied in other ways - even if it's just gripped to a decent programme and I make sure they are out of reach.

It's all those daft little habits I'm working on changing now as that's what buggered previous attempts to quit.

Yes, totally get the habits side of it. If I smoked, I would be a nightmare, I'm bad enough with snacking. As you say, you can smoke x amount (or eat x amount) without even thinking about it. I know with food, or drink (apart from when really on a session) I try to be 'mindful' and think what I'm eating/drinking and enjoy it. So then probably want less to be satisfied!

Very similar to snacking on the daft habits. Just a couple biscuits for a dunk and next thing you know you've rifled through the entire pack etc without realising.

It can be done though.

It really pisses me off these days that my wife smokes. She's effectively burning away £60+ of our money a week. The kids go mad at her but she takes no notice and refuses to try quitting.

Went to a little restaurant today with the little one, sat outside and some old duffers came on the table next to us - all lit up straight away then it was basically chain smoking. They were moaning about there not being ash trays and arguing about losing trade if you piss the smokers off.

Can’t see it, the next generation are all social smokers at best. Good riddance to ash trays and outdoor smoking, ban it in bars and restaurants too outdoors

Do people still get yellow fingers? My grandmother used to have them but you don't really see that any more.

I've quit loads of times. It's not that hard. Staying off them long term is the hard part. I think 2 years is the longest I've done off them since I was a teenager.

Average rule of thumb is these are the top mist addictive substances

1. Heroin
2. Cocaine
3. Nicotine
4. Barbiturates
5/ Alcohol
6/ Caffeine
7/ Sugar addiction

In 2019 alcohol addiction was costing this country 25 billion a year across all the services