NEW THREAD FOR ALL THINGS TAKEOVER | Page 514 | Vital Football

NEW THREAD FOR ALL THINGS TAKEOVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on "the plan" is simply Choi lost us to Au Yeung in a game of cards.
Obviously we know Choi is a gambler and I reckon Au Yeung one of his lackies.
Au Yeung had the better hand and Choi gambled us on the turn of said hand.

Afterwards Au Yeung with no money to fund us looked to get rid ASAP.
Sounds crazy but very feasible.

He could still sign the contract offered to him by us with the offer of us not standingin his way should the big boys still come knocking.
At first I thought he or others should be duty bound to sign after the significant investment of time and money but then asked myself about the amount of youngsters scrapped by clubs and even us this season moving potentially good young players out to bring journeymen and loan players in. Complicated.

Moneyball anyone
Dr Tom Markham (Phoenix 21 director) has some interesting papers on LinkedIn concerning footy club valuations and when a manager should be sacked/retained

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21649480.2013.768829

http://www.sportingintelligence.com...n-at-42m-whats-your-club-really-worth-250102/

" The lesson, therefore, is that managers who perform below expectation usually remain that way and therefore it may be optimal to remove them from office sooner rather than later; on the other hand, those managers who are merely somewhat disappointing should be given time to further develop their teams. "

The Moonay philosophy ?

Let's face it without the youngsters coming through being sold etc we would have been in deep shit. The fact we had a very strong academy / development side to the club has kept us competing as well as surviving. With this in mind the new owners ought to make Leam and Gregor a priority stay. Offer them what they need to rebuild the development squads. Let them return to doing the brilliant job they have done. Bring a manager in now to try to avoid relegation. A few out of work at present. I'm sorry but we need to tell Cookie to feck himself and keep away from Leam. Both Leam and Gregor have earned a place at Wigan Athletic and we should pull out all the stops to keep them here.

MEN article by Jay Whitte mentions Admin agreed to lower the price but creditors would still be paid accordingly. So it sounds like Admin agreed to take less of the add ons or additional fees.

Bahrain-based investor close to 'imminent deal' to buy Wigan Athletic - Manchester Evening News

Nixon saying that it was the Bahrainis choice to go public - so after all the secrecy it appears they are certain they must be getting it to break the silence after keeping their identity hidden for so long.

Nixon is very impressed with the UK team put together and also says that the Supporters Club Money is going to be paid back to the fans. To be honest I'd like us to buy into the club, but if the new owner doesn't want 800k then he must have some money to burn!

I'd still like it though if maybe we could use that money on the academy or something, so all those fund raising efforts could still yield something positive for the club on top of anything our new owner is happy to spend.

Let's face it without the youngsters coming through being sold etc we would have been in deep shit. The fact we had a very strong academy / development side to the club has kept us competing as well as surviving. With this in mind the new owners ought to make Leam and Gregor a priority stay. Offer them what they need to rebuild the development squads. Let them return to doing the brilliant job they have done. Bring a manager in now to try to avoid relegation. A few out of work at present. I'm sorry but we need to tell Cookie to feck himself and keep away from Leam. Both Leam and Gregor have earned a place at Wigan Athletic and we should pull out all the stops to keep them here.

There is no sentiment in business or football Leam needs to be judged on his ability as a manager not on the fact he's been with us all season and to be fair he has been employed all season and is not doing it out of love or free.

Under any other circumstances would you consider him for manager ? I understand people's loyalty to him, he seems a genuine nice guy but is he right for us going forward I'm not so sure, but that's just my opinion.

" The lesson, therefore, is that managers who perform below expectation usually remain that way and therefore it may be optimal to remove them from office sooner rather than later; on the other hand, those managers who are merely somewhat disappointing should be given time to further develop their teams. "

The Moonay philosophy ?

It seems the message is that managers should be left in place or sacked sooner
In the case of Hutchings - good quick call
In the case of the lovely Coyle, Malky and the coach from MUFC - too slow

It seems the message is that managers should be left in place or sacked sooner
In the case of Hutchings - good quick call
In the case of the lovely Coyle, Malky and the coach from MUFC - too slow

I'm with this. I think all managers should be given time, but there needs to be visible signs of progress. That might mean that even though we're losing games, you can see that things could be turned around.

To add to DatM's list, I still think Caldwell was potted too early ........ though I have to concede that his subsequent record elsewhere doesn't bear out the confidence I had in him.

Last edited:
Remember nothing is certain in this life. Unless all sides have signed the appropriate paperwork within the law and regulations, this is not 100% nailed down.
Manchester Evening News statement ie close to, is not close enough. This could still go belly up.
Some sleepless nights still to come

There is no sentiment in business or football Leam needs to be judged on his ability as a manager not on the fact he's been with us all season and to be fair he has been employed all season and is not doing it out of love or free.

Under any other circumstances would you consider him for manager ? I understand people's loyalty to him, he seems a genuine nice guy but is he right for us going forward I'm not so sure, but that's just my opinion.

TBH Zakky, Yes I would consider him to have proven himself more than capable as a manager.

He has literally built three teams this season due to the amount of players brought in and let go and yet we are still in a position were survival is still in our hands. He has shown that alongside Gregor Rioch he can blend youth and experience to find a side capable of progressing. Prior to the January window he had built a team that was winning games and competing with those around us, that team was then dismantled through players returning to their home clubs and injuries robbing us of home grown talent.

He is in the process of rebuilding with the players brought in, who we all agree are journeymen professionals and rejects from other teams and yet in recent games we have shown the ability and team spirit to challenge teams at the top of the division in games.

He had the guts ripped out of the original players he inherited at the start of the season as the assets were sold off and yet he had the ability to recover from all that was going on to make us competitive even at that stage.

In my opinion he has stepped out of Paul Cooks shadow and proven himself to be capable of taking the hot seat. Although he has had little in terms of stability in the playing staff he has got the best out of them and engendered a team spirit that I still believe will see us safe.

So, Yes, for me he is someone I would be confident in allowing to continue in the role. Give him some time and a transfer budget and allow him to rebuild next season and if that doesn't work out then perhaps that would be the time to move on, but for now he would be my favourite.

I think Richardson will join cook he has done a good job with what little we had left here
And I feel he will enjoy joining cook and moving on
Plus new owners if it happens will already have plans in place

TBH Zakky, Yes I would consider him to have proven himself more than capable as a manager.

He has literally built three teams this season due to the amount of players brought in and let go and yet we are still in a position were survival is still in our hands. He has shown that alongside Gregor Rioch he can blend youth and experience to find a side capable of progressing. Prior to the January window he had built a team that was winning games and competing with those around us, that team was then dismantled through players returning to their home clubs and injuries robbing us of home grown talent.

He is in the process of rebuilding with the players brought in, who we all agree are journeymen professionals and rejects from other teams and yet in recent games we have shown the ability and team spirit to challenge teams at the top of the division in games.

He had the guts ripped out of the original players he inherited at the start of the season as the assets were sold off and yet he had the ability to recover from all that was going on to make us competitive even at that stage.

In my opinion he has stepped out of Paul Cooks shadow and proven himself to be capable of taking the hot seat. Although he has had little in terms of stability in the playing staff he has got the best out of them and engendered a team spirit that I still believe will see us safe.

So, Yes, for me he is someone I would be confident in allowing to continue in the role. Give him some time and a transfer budget and allow him to rebuild next season and if that doesn't work out then perhaps that would be the time to move on, but for now he would be my favourite.

I can't disagree with most of what you say he has done a good job but going forward I think we need an established experienced manager and I do feel Liam is happier with Cook. We should definitely try to keep Gregor and all the academy staff though.

MEN article by Jay Whitte mentions Admin agreed to lower the price but creditors would still be paid accordingly. So it sounds like Admin agreed to take less of the add ons or additional fees.

Bahrain-based investor close to 'imminent deal' to buy Wigan Athletic - Manchester Evening News

Nixon saying that it was the Bahrainis choice to go public - so after all the secrecy it appears they are certain they must be getting it to break the silence after keeping their identity hidden for so long.

Nixon is very impressed with the UK team put together and also says that the Supporters Club Money is going to be paid back to the fans. To be honest I'd like us to buy into the club, but if the new owner doesn't want 800k then he must have some money to burn!

I'd still like it though if maybe we could use that money on the academy or something, so all those fund raising efforts could still yield something positive for the club on top of anything our new owner is happy to spend.
They’ve copied Kendrick’s piece. Nothing new in there

I can't disagree with most of what you say he has done a good job but going forward I think we need an established experienced manager and I do feel Liam is happier with Cook. We should definitely try to keep Gregor and all the academy staff though.

I totally agree that GR and the academy are the jewels in the crown and need to be offered new contracts as a priority.

My problem with bringing in an "experienced " manager at this point is that it could disrupt the squad and cost us points as he settles in. I would much rather let LR see the season out as he obviously has the clubs best interests at heart and also the players seem to have a respect for him and are prepared to play for him.

If Leam feels that he wants to move on at the end of the season then no doubt he should do so and would go with the best wishes of all of us.

No new manager is coming in until the end of the season, get that out of your heads now. It’s Richardson until the end of the season like it or not. He has a job to finish and no other manager is putting a relegation on their CV with a team whom the vast majority won’t be here next season. Next season is a fresh start with a brand new team and coaching staff. The only question left is what league we’ll be playing in.

They’ve copied Kendrick’s piece. Nothing new in there
You are correct, but some seem to think that some media sources are demi gods, as I said earlier in this thread all that was known as early as last Wednesday and was to be confirmed when PK and some fans groups met with Stanley on Friday but Stanley and the new buyers had not finalised their negotiations so it was held off.

Status
Not open for further replies.