NEW THREAD FOR ALL THINGS TAKEOVER | Page 481 | Vital Football

NEW THREAD FOR ALL THINGS TAKEOVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Bahrainis really want us then I hope they don’t miss out by waiting and waiting and then someone else pips them at the post. If they want us......just pay the money, get it done then we can all relax and start to think about our future.....these dark days have gone on long enough,we need to move on.

Thinking about it, as has been said that there is money available to take us to the end of the season it's no wonder really bidders are in no hurry to clinch the deal. They whoever they may be would save themselves money by letting things tick over as they are until such time they really need to take control. I can see this dragging out as long as possible, It makes sense for the buyers.

Exactly this. What advantage would anyone have taking over now? Surely any potential owner will just sit and wait until it is absolutely necessary to take over from their point of view. There is no chance of any income now and no real way to influence on pitch performance to stay up so I suspect they will just save the costs and buy closer to the end of the season to start work through the summer. Not ideal for us fans, but makes sense to me. I think that exclusivity with the Spanish has cost us an ownership before Jan, and now it's probably a summer job.

Exactly this. What advantage would anyone have taking over now? Surely any potential owner will just sit and wait until it is absolutely necessary to take over from their point of view. There is no chance of any income now and no real way to influence on pitch performance to stay up so I suspect they will just save the costs and buy closer to the end of the season to start work through the summer. Not ideal for us fans, but makes sense to me. I think that exclusivity with the Spanish has cost us an ownership before Jan, and now it's probably a summer job.

Not think that would be a little short sighted by any new potential owner...the longer they leave it the more they have to do in a shorter time period....getting their own people in, additional management to help LR or poss maybe a new manager to replace him plus sitting down with them to see what recruitment will be possible.....not to mention the possibility of being pipped at the post.

Not think that would be a little short sighted by any new potential owner...the longer they leave it the more they have to do in a shorter time period....getting their own people in, additional management to help LR or poss maybe a new manager to replace him plus sitting down with them to see what recruitment will be possible.....not to mention the possibility of being pipped at the post.

Realistically I don't see anyone being 'pipped to the post' - I don't think we're a sort after commodity, certainly not enough to start a frenzied bidding war (which we have obviously seen since July).

Not to mention that it takes around 3 months for anyone to get through the process so you can see a 'competitor' coming a mile off.

With regards to timings, I would hazard a guess that the front runner would be tee'ing everything up to hit the ground running come the summer - but then it depends on their plans maybe a season in lg 2 is ok for them, who knows.

Also, in football new management etc can be implemented in no time, see it happen all the time.

It's just my thought, but if I was in the position to buy the club (and not a fan) I wouldn't take on the costs from now until the end of the season without the prospect of any income, it doesn't make much sense to me, but then again buying Wigan if you're not a local or a fan makes no sense to me either ha!

Last edited:
No the original plan was to buy a share in the club for a place on the board or if the was situation where the was no money and the club was looking at liquidation. Then to use the money to save the club by allowing it to keep the club going longer in the hope of finding a buyer. That was the original idea for it you just have to watch the interview jj and Carolyn did with Jay whittle when the fundraiser began. Where jj tells Jay multiple times it is not to buy the club outright as they can't afford it.
This only began to change when Lisa nandy started banging on about the fans owning the club and coming up with claims of local investment and council loans helping the fans to own the club. Which then led to Carolyn starting to say the same sort of stuff. The is only jj who seems have a real grasp of reality on it with him also stating in the pwu podcast after the Spanish pulled out. That the money will not be able to buy the club as the is not enough money.
You also claim it obvious about us dropping down the leagues in this last resort option. But I disagree the supporters club have said nothing to even imply giving up our league posistion. They also stated yesterday on the podcast whilst they have not got enough money at the mo as they would need 5-7 million. That they have plans in place of where they could get to. Which to me sounds like they are talking about increased investment.
Aswell as this the fan option is seen as a short term option to find new owners. But if we drop down the leagues and lose the stadium this then makes the club alot less attractive and the chance of new owners drops with it. As you are then buying non league club with no assets.

Sorry GG, I may have misled you by what I have posted.

I am not disagreeing in any way with you that the funds were raised for a specific purpose, nor am I saying that their original intentions were to purchase the club. I am merely putting forward my opinion, and I think that of others on here, that under the plan "B" scenario being put forward by the SC it would not in any way be possible for them to run the football club in the EFL. There is simply not enough capital available. Plan "B" was no doubt devised after the initial euphoria died down and the realisation set in that regardless of the amount raised initially in the crowdfunder appeal the on going day to day running costs to keep us in the league would be too much.

I believe the original plan, plan "A" if you will, was to use the funds to assist with the running of the club until a buyer was found or to gain access to a fans representative on the board of any new ownership, thus giving the fans a voice in the club.

As I say my response to you was merely that under their doomsday plan "B" it would not be practical to be thinking about maintaining our league status and that you were probably in the minority if that was what you were thinking.

My apologies if I was wrong and led to confusion.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the takeover isn’t completed until right until the last week of the season. Why take on monthly costs when you don’t have to, unless when you take over you inherit the funding which we currently have to tide us over until the end of the season

Realistically I don't see anyone being 'pipped to the post' - I don't think we're a sort after commodity, certainly not enough to start a frenzied bidding war (which we have obviously seen since July).

Not to mention that it takes around 3 months for anyone to get through the process so you can see a 'competitor' coming a mile off.

With regards to timings, I would hazard a guess that the front runner would be tee'ing everything up to hit the ground running come the summer - but then it depends on their plans maybe a season in lg 2 is ok for them, who knows.

Also, in football new management etc can be implemented in no time, see it happen all the time.

It's just my thought, but if I was in the position to buy the club (and not a fan) I wouldn't take on the costs from now until the end of the season without the prospect of any income, it doesn't make much sense to me, but then again buying Wigan if you're not a local or a fan makes no sense to me either ha!

I understand your point and the reasoning behind it, however if the funding to see the club through to the end of the season is available and in place then surely that would form part of the purchase as it would then be classed as a club asset on the balance sheet and would be acquired alongside all other assets owned by the club.

The only way I see that differing is if the funds are kept separate to the clubs accounts and are being fed in as required, which would be a strange way of accounting. The money to fund the club till the season end was, I believe, in the form of loans and grants from the EFL and PL to be used solely for the purpose of sustaining the club. I would imagine the EFL and PL would have a few things to say if that money was used for any other purpose.

I seriously doubt that any of the bidders will be holding back for the purpose you are describing.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the takeover isn’t completed until right until the last week of the season. Why take on monthly costs when you don’t have to, unless when you take over you inherit the funding which we currently have to tide us over until the end of the season
Yeah, I'm not sure the exact ins and outs of the non-football creditors but I remember reading the deadline was in March some time? after which we would be deducted 15 points if not paid(?) - so that's another reason, just from a PR perspective, who's going to want to be the guys that come in and say "we're not paying the debt and taking the deduction"? Easier just to let that run its course and then you come in after without looking like the bad guys. As harsh as that is to the people owed money, seems likely to me.

I understand your point and the reasoning behind it, however if the funding to see the club through to the end of the season is available and in place then surely that would form part of the purchase as it would then be classed as a club asset on the balance sheet and would be acquired alongside all other assets owned by the club.

The only way I see that differing is if the funds are kept separate to the clubs accounts and are being fed in as required, which would be a strange way of accounting. The money to fund the club till the season end was, I believe, in the form of loans and grants from the EFL and PL to be used solely for the purpose of sustaining the club. I would imagine the EFL and PL would have a few things to say if that money was used for any other purpose.

I seriously doubt that any of the bidders will be holding back for the purpose you are describing.

Yeah I get what you're saying, but the club is being run on barely nothing - so it surely would need more investment from now until the end of the season to get back up to scratch? I'm not sure us group of fans would be so accepting of a new owner who comes in and just keeps the status quo until the end of the season would we?

I don't know to be honest, but I would think that as soon as you buy the club it is going to start costing you money in some form.

The club will tick on in it's current state and if you're not going to invest right now (spend money) then why bother getting involved until you need to.

You are an utter tool, I only watched one video and have posted a link to it, no lies no claims to anything else it is not the same video that you are talking about, can you not get that through your thick skull.

You are the massive tool, you cannot get it through your thick skull a bid has not and never was been accepted from Frampton, he was a complete waste of space and effort , you come on here with your "inside information" without actually divulging anything and made yourself look like a complete and utter gullible twat , not withstanding getting many peoples hopes up and still won't admit you were wrong. Tragic really

Yeah I get what you're saying, but the club is being run on barely nothing - so it surely would need more investment from now until the end of the season to get back up to scratch? I'm not sure us group of fans would be so accepting of a new owner who comes in and just keeps the status quo until the end of the season would we?

I don't know to be honest, but I would think that as soon as you buy the club it is going to start costing you money in some form.

The club will tick on in it's current state and if you're not going to invest right now (spend money) then why bother getting involved until you need to.

As I said I do understand your logic and totally agree that it would need extra investment in both the management and stadium but I still seriously doubt that that would be a reason to delay any takeover as the extra cash needed to bring the stadium back to full repair will be needed whenever the takeover goes ahead.

As far as keeping the status quo goes, apart from the appointment of a manager and additions to the coaching staff there will not be a great deal the new owners can do to affect this season.

It would however benefit the new manager to have a budget and possibly some recruitment plans in place before the end of this season. It is well known that recruitment takes time to identify and target the players any manager wants and to this end I would think that any new owner who is knowledgeable about the game would want to be in place asap.

I think with the Supporters Club debate many of us actually agree on 90% of the situation.

I imagine virtually everyone understood the Supporters Club were not at all set up or well qualified for the responsibilities that would come and would probably admit that themselves - hence why they leaned on Jackson. But they certainly could've communicated far better.

I also think most of us also feel they have the clubs best interest at heart and did a fantastic job raising the money in the first place.

I can't imagine many people would argue that and it's just frustration. But I think their poor communication has probably made them look far worse than they have done, I suspect if we all knew the details they are probably doing more than we realise. They've made a rod for their own back by being so secretive. As I said in another post they have gone for the extreme of saying virtually nothing and there is a happy medium between that and breaking an NDA.

If I was them I'd have done regular updates just stating what they have done. Something like 'this week we spoke to a new bidder, the conversation was constructive and they are open to us being on the board' or 'this week we have heard from the EFL that the checking process into a bidder is ongoing but they are hoping to give us more info in 2 weeks' - nothing incriminating, no names, no details just a general update so the fans have some insight. Just a little bit regularly probably could've kept fans getting fed up and assuming the worse.

Couldn't have put it any better myself. Lisa Nandy has told us a 10000x more than the supporters club has and has she broken an NDA? Nope.

Lisa mentioned on one podcast she might get in trouble by the admins for saying something....think this is the problem with the SC they are frightened to death of saying anything, it getting back to the admins and they don't continue to give them information.

Lisa has clearly proved you can say stuff without breaking the NDA's, heavens forbid why the SC won't.

"Lisa has clearly proved you can say stuff without breaking the NDA's, heavens forbid why the SC won't."

Could it be that as an MP she is able to get away with a lot more than the SC can?

I think the admins would think twice before suing a sitting MP who would probably have some legal clout provided by her party whereas any of the members of the SC committee could find themselves embroiled in a legal battle they could ill afford.

Of course they will want to take over now. Its vital we get promoted next season if we do drop into league 2 so they will want their manager and his team in asap to prepare. Last thing we need is total upheaval in the close season let's plan as soon as possible under a new owner now not later.

Lisa Nandy won't have had to sign any NDA as she isn't involved in the administration/buy out process unlike the SC
She's an MP phoning up the likes of begbies, the SC, the EFL, interested parties etc.. pushing them along & asking for info
They're 2 completely different situations and doesn't show in any way that you can say stuff without breaking NDA's

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt re this. No more bloody statistics. No silly ambiguous statements. Zilch. .......... and further updates are suspended too.

Surely, the only reason to take this line is if you're entering into serious discussions.

I may be wildly off the mark ................... but it's the only way I can make sense of the update.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2021/february/Statement-From-The-Joint-Administrators-26-02-21-/

That was my initial impression too.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt re this. No more bloody statistics. No silly ambiguous statements. Zilch. .......... and further updates are suspended too.

Surely, the only reason to take this line is if you're entering into serious discussions.

I may be wildly off the mark ................... but it's the only way I can make sense of the update.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2021/february/Statement-From-The-Joint-Administrators-26-02-21-/

I still fail to understand the necessity for them to give weekly updates just to satisfy the needs of those who continually whine about the lack of information coming out.

There is nothing that can be said other than the negotiations are ongoing and we will announce the takeover when it happens. They only encourage speculation within the fanbase by announcing that another bidder has joined or that one bidder has provided proof of funds, it just causes more problems than it solves because of the way some people read into it.

There are also those that don't believe anything the admins say and therefore just print negative comments which once again causes uproar on this forum as people try to make out that they know something different.

Much better in my opinion to leave it all to Nixon and the press to make the speculative comments as more people have belief in them.

Hopefully, but you never know with our administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.