NEW THREAD FOR ALL THINGS TAKEOVER | Page 234 | Vital Football

NEW THREAD FOR ALL THINGS TAKEOVER

C_Latic

Vital Squad Member
I wonder if part of the issues around the deal are getting the rugby back at the Stadium full time.
Their offices are situated at Robin Park and they had a matchday fanzone there before lockdown.
All taking money from the stadium owners.

Personally I'd have thought setting up their own matchday catering service would have been in breach of contract but obviously not.

Anyway getting them back to the stadium with a revised rental agreement and on a fixed term would increase revenue.
Why would Wigan Warriors agree to a revised rental agreement when their current agreement (which is an immensely good deal in their favour) is contractually binding? For example, let's say I signed a 50 year binding contract with the owner of a top of the range Ferrari giving me the right to drive that Ferrari twice a week for the price of £10 a month where only I and not the current owner or any new owner of the Ferrari down the line have the ability to break that clause. Then, 20 years down the line the owner sells the Ferrari to someone else, who then contacts me, telling me that the price has gone up to £100 a month, I'd wave the contract in their face and tell them to fuck off.

This essentially is what Ian Lenegan can do (and probably has done) to the Spanish should (as many suspect) they be looking to increase their rent.

Whelan's fucked us over on that deal and there's nothing we can do about it until 2050 or whenever the deal ends. Unless of course, the Warriors turn Robin Park into their own ground and leave the DW permanently.

Maybe there is no elephant to call out because there is no elephant. I do agree, I feel all parties are only serving their own agenda. Maybe this nightmare would of took the expected 3-4 weeks if all parties gave their best interest of the club. Maybe not.
What are their agendas though?

I'd say EFL want good owners so they get off the hook for killing us.

Council want good owners for sake of community and revenue club brings into town.

Nandy wants good owners so she can look good to her voters.

SC want good owners for sake of club.

Everyone has the same agenda. If the Spanish bid ticked all the boxes I think all parties would've endorsed it - but it appears that there is something putting them all off. Whatever that is - is the elephant.

ZAKKY

Vital 1st Team Regular
Why would Wigan Warriors agree to a revised rental agreement when their current agreement (which is an immensely good deal in their favour) is contractually binding? For example, let's say I signed a 50 year binding contract with the owner of a top of the range Ferrari giving me the right to drive that Ferrari twice a week for the price of £10 a month where only I and not the current owner or any new owner of the Ferrari down the line have the ability to break that clause. Then, 20 years down the line the owner sells the Ferrari to someone else, who then contacts me, telling me that the price has gone up to £100 a month, I'd wave the contract in their face and tell them to fuck off.

This essentially is what Ian Lenegan can do (and probably has done) to the Spanish should (as many suspect) they be looking to increase their rent.

Whelan's fucked us over on that deal and there's nothing we can do about it until 2050 or whenever the deal ends. Unless of course, the Warriors turn Robin Park into their own ground and leave the DW permanently.

Agree with most you say but surely to goodness when the contract and extension was signed it wouldent have meant for the 1999 rent price to remain in place till 2050. Surely theres cost of living clauses in place.

I stand to be corrected but as the company owning the D W Stadium has gone into administration then the agreement about rent ceases to a binding contract and need to be negotiate and signed by both parties.
With the Wigan Council owning the land that the stadium sits on, the lease with the stadium owners is that both the rugby and the football have agreements to play there with new contracts signed.
The statement by the administrators that substantial progress has been made with the council regarding the assignment of the lease may suggest that one party may have been a bit slow in signing on the dotted line for one reason or another.

Yon Mon

Vital Squad Member

As far as i'm aware the worriers current rent agreement only covers playing time and a percentage of matchday revenue.
The rugby have moved their offices from the DW to Robin Park. Have they got a cheaper separate deal doing this?
They have also set up a matchday fan zone serving drinks, food etc at Robin Park. Taking money from the stadium.

Maybe the Spanish have enticed them to move their offices back to the DW and close down their fan zone.
Therefore maybe a fresh agreement has been set up which also binds them from moving their offices again and setting up another fan zone elsewhere.

As Zakky says maybe this new rental agreement includes an annual increase.

Hampton

Vital 1st Team Regular
As far as i'm aware the worriers current rent agreement only covers playing time and a percentage of matchday revenue.
The rugby have moved their offices from the DW to Robin Park. Have they got a cheaper separate deal doing this?
They have also set up a matchday fan zone serving drinks, food etc at Robin Park. Taking money from the stadium.

Maybe the Spanish have enticed them to move their offices back to the DW and close down their fan zone.
Therefore maybe a fresh agreement has been set up which also binds them from moving their offices again and setting up another fan zone elsewhere.

As Zakky says maybe this new rental agreement includes an annual increase.
And who gave them Robin Park with a short spin pass 🤔
Wigan council supporting egg chasing first last and at all times inbetween since 1932.
Why don't the council lift the residential ban on Christopher Park to raise meaningful funds on sale for the football club and invite Latics to share Robin Park as a joint training facility ?
Now that really would support the 2 teams one town (alledged) objective.
And why it would never happen......!

jeffs right

Vital 1st Team Regular
And who gave them Robin Park with a short spin pass 🤔
Wigan council supporting egg chasing first last and at all times inbetween since 1932.
Why don't the council lift the residential ban on Christopher Park to raise meaningful funds on sale for the football club and invite Latics to share Robin Park as a joint training facility ?
Now that really would support the 2 teams one town (alledged) objective.
And why it would never happen......!
Absolutely spot on Hampton yet again.

Hampton

Vital 1st Team Regular
The worriers took over the operating lease from the council though not ownership.
Ahead of this the council paid £6m of local taxpayers money to upgrade the facility - to the warriors requirements - so Lenegan got a state of the art training facility, at no capital cost, a "for free" public use income stream from it to cover the operating costs and Latics got - feck all.
An absolute scandal IMO - if we had equal treatment the council could have bought the DW fm the admins for less than £6m, offered the football club a similar operating lease with a similar "for free" income stream (stadium revenues and rugby fair rental payments)
Now that would have been equitable across both pro clubs in the town.
Now where's our £6m ?

walgarthjohn

Vital 1st Team Regular
The worriers took over the operating lease from the council though not ownership.
Ahead of this the council paid £6m of local taxpayers money to upgrade the facility - to the warriors requirements - so Lenegan got a state of the art training facility, at no capital cost, a "for free" public use income stream from it to cover the operating costs and Latics got - feck all.
An absolute scandal IMO - if we had equal treatment the council could have bought the DW fm the admins for less than £6m, offered the football club a similar operating lease with a similar "for free" income stream (stadium revenues and rugby fair rental payments)
Now where's our £6m ?
It’s like banging your head against a wall. Some can’t see it

Now where's our £6m ?

What we need is the executive leader of the council to be a latics fan?