New Sporting Director | Page 3 | Vital Football

New Sporting Director

I presume player sales are on the cards then ( Harry ), cos another bank loan's looking rather unlikely.

Levy has done well to ring-fence the player budgets (as we witness when he backed Jose), but our cashflow has been and will remain shot to pieces until we can resume 'normal' operations - once that does occur, my figures show that we could repay the excess borrowings in as little as two years, but will mean we have a constrained transfer budget, so if a manager comes in who wants many and big changes, it will have to mean player churn.

Levy has done well to ring-fence the player budgets (as we witness when he backed Jose), but our cashflow has been and will remain shot to pieces until we can resume 'normal' operations - once that does occur, my figures show that we could repay the excess borrowings in as little as two years, but will mean we have a constrained transfer budget, so if a manager comes in who wants many and big changes, it will have to mean player churn.

That's a pretty aggressive repayment schedule. Is that assuming CL or no CL?

There is more than plenty of money we can raise without a major churn, and this is exactly why a DOF is needed - to clear out the dross asap and keep a healthy squad.

It really is time for a club with such limited resources to not have so much money invested in squad members who aren't good enough to play.

Fernandes was sent back which cleared £50 million off the books, Bale goes back, Rose leaves, then we have Gazza/Sissoko as deadwood and Aurier as brain dead.

Davies and Dier should be sold and we wouldn't need to replace any of them as Sess is coming back and Rodon arrived.

That's an easy £50-£60 million before we need to buy any replacement.

Add 'always injured' Lamela and Dele who hasn't delivered in over 3 years under different managers, and we have anywhere between £80 - £100 million - more than enough to build a good base.

Last edited:
There is more than plenty of money we can raise without a major churn, and this is exactly why a DOF is needed - to clear out the dross asap and keep a healthy squad.

It really is time for a club with such limited resources to have so much money invested in squad members who aren't good enough to play.

Fernandes was sent back which cleared £50 million off the books, Bale goes back, Rose leaves, then we have Gazza/Sissoko as deadwood and Aurier as brain dead.

Davies and Dier should be sold and we wouldn't need to replace any of them as Sess is coming back and Rodon arrived.

That's an easy £50-£60 million before we need to buy any replacement.

Add 'always injured' Lamela and Dele who hasn't delivered in over 3 years under different managers, and we have anywhere between £80 - £100 million - more than enough to build a good base.

I'd sell Kane as well. Time to build the team around a good base.

We were best when we had a solid spine.

And get rid of PEH. HE is NOT a Tottenham player.

Kane looked today like Rooney after his decline. Dropped way too deep and pretended to be a play maker. He held the ball for too long and made terrible passes, notably the one to PEH.

Son was just as terrible.

PEH had faded but there are 3-4 CMs we can sell before him.

We need players who can play the modern game, and that counts out most of our squad.

Alright 80...you are finally coming around to what I have been saying for a LONG time.

The main problem is we need to establish the foundation/base first. But yes you are correct...time for a full rebuild. This will take years, but it is needed.

Alright 80...you are finally coming around to what I have been saying for a LONG time.

The main problem is we need to establish the foundation/base first. But yes you are correct...time for a full rebuild. This will take years, but it is needed.

It won't take years if we get some outside investment and a DoF.

What got us where we are won't get us where we want to go.

There is no easy path for us going forward now. Between Levy, late-stage Poch and Mourinho this club has been in a real decline for 3-4 years.

I've consistently said that Levy's footballing decisions have been more often dreadful than astute. I'm not sure I trust Levy to allow a DOF to do what we need one to do. He just cannot help but micromanage everything into oblivion.

It's clear what Levy thinks of the fans' opinions on things too. With all the statements from clubs after the ESL withdrawal, we never received an apology as Spurs fans whilst Arsenal fans did. That was the final straw for me with Levy. I have no trust in him to make positive changes on footballing matters.

There is no easy path for us going forward now. Between Levy, late-stage Poch and Mourinho this club has been in a real decline for 3-4 years.

I've consistently said that Levy's footballing decisions have been more often dreadful than astute. I'm not sure I trust Levy to allow a DOF to do what we need one to do. He just cannot help but micromanage everything into oblivion.

It's clear what Levy thinks of the fans' opinions on things too. With all the statements from clubs after the ESL withdrawal, we never received an apology as Spurs fans whilst Arsenal fans did. That was the final straw for me with Levy. I have no trust in him to make positive changes on footballing matters.
You're being far too kind. I'd go much, much further & say he's been absolutely clueless. In fact as long as the brand grows i don't believe he particularly cares any more.

That's a pretty aggressive repayment schedule. Is that assuming CL or no CL?

Without. But with european football.

Assuming we can re-convene mass entertainment events, we have a huge pent up demand; so added into that are 15-20+ events per year - and they'll be big money spinners

Good general post there Matic, but the never getting an apology off of Levy, doesn't bother me, because all the teams apologies mean shite/fcuk all, they are just a PR stunts and do not mean anything, its all to appease, for me.
Its like the old classic "Blowing in the wind".

Without. But with european football.

Assuming we can re-convene mass entertainment events, we have a huge pent up demand; so added into that are 15-20+ events per year - and they'll be big money spinners

Fair enough.

The sub text of
Good general post there Matic, but the never getting an apology off of Levy, doesn't bother me, because all the teams apologies mean shite/fcuk all, they are just a PR stunts and do not mean anything, its all to appease, for me.
Its like the old classic "Blowing in the wind".

I do get what you're saying but it felt like a true insight into how the club really feel about their fans. The sub-text of the statement we received was "we are sorry YOU all had a problem with it" rather than "we are sorry that we made an big error."

The club desperately needs to reconnect with fans in a way that isn't clinically business-like. A DoF needs to take this on as a key part of his role.

I often find there are massively similarities between sports teams and gaming companies these days (like Xbox, Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft.) If you look at a change that has been rippling through the games industry in the last 5 years, the fans have once again been put centre stage, because the more astute companies realised that by continuing to ignore fans, whilst chasing larger profits, their sales were taking increasingly larger hits.

If you rely on fans as a business, you cannot allow that disconnect to grow. Tottenham have been doing that for years now and I think a lot of people would be surprised how much that can cause a toxicity that impacts everyone connected to the club.

The sub text of

I do get what you're saying but it felt like a true insight into how the club really feel about their fans. The sub-text of the statement we received was "we are sorry YOU all had a problem with it" rather than "we are sorry that we made an big error."

The club desperately needs to reconnect with fans in a way that isn't clinically business-like. A DoF needs to take this on as a key part of his role.

I often find there are massively similarities between sports teams and gaming companies these days (like Xbox, Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft.) If you look at a change that has been rippling through the games industry in the last 5 years, the fans have once again been put centre stage, because the more astute companies realised that by continuing to ignore fans, whilst chasing larger profits, their sales were taking increasingly larger hits.

If you rely on fans as a business, you cannot allow that disconnect to grow. Tottenham have been doing that for years now and I think a lot of people would be surprised how much that can cause a toxicity that impacts everyone connected to the club.

Unless your team is in London. Football runs deep like no other sport. But I agree that there has been erosion. The weird thing is, Levy really has been an excellent steward of the club. He's just not capable of taking it to the next level.

Unless your team is in London. Football runs deep like no other sport. But I agree that there has been erosion. The weird thing is, Levy really has been an excellent steward of the club. He's just not capable of taking it to the next level.

He has been excellent in terms of adapting the club to be more competitive off-field. His footballing decisions have been incredibly hit or miss for his entire time here.

The erosion is in-part out of his hands, because football has just been moving away from its working class roots for decades now. There are plenty of awful decisions the club has made down the years though that has just caused more and more disconnect with fans. Stub Hub was a great example. The way loyalty points work on the whole is another. A lot of our fans are more astute than Levy gives them credit for as they can see that they are more of a number than a welcomed part of the club.

He has been excellent in terms of adapting the club to be more competitive off-field. His footballing decisions have been incredibly hit or miss for his entire time here.

The erosion is in-part out of his hands, because football has just been moving away from its working class roots for decades now. There are plenty of awful decisions the club has made down the years though that has just caused more and more disconnect with fans. Stub Hub was a great example. The way loyalty points work on the whole is another. A lot of our fans are more astute than Levy gives them credit for as they can see that they are more of a number than a welcomed part of the club.

Don't disagree with any of that. But there isn't any doubt we are better off than we were 20 years ago. At the cost of on pitch performance.

SPorts teams are no longer play things for the ultra-wealthy, they are investment vehicles. Corporate sports is here to stay and this club is at the forefront of that evolution.