New Sporting Director | Vital Football

New Sporting Director

Spursex

Alert Team
One of the consequences of this super-league mess is that at last Levy may well hand over responsibility for the footballing side of the business to someone who might do a better job.

Of course, it will mean truely handing over the whole of the power to hire fire and buy.

He has to do it, if he doesn't then new funding for the business will not happen.

The search is well under way.

who would you appoint?

This has to be the minimum move Levy does. His decisions in recent years have been appalling.

Anyone know who the best SD is? Is Frank Arnesen still around? 😉

Where are the appalling decisions?

The only one I can see is Mourinho and that was a risk I would have taken. Although I would have intervened much sooner. It's what he does next that matters.

He has put us in a position to move into the elite and the ability to stay there. As Ex alluded to in his opening post, that's as far as his abilities go. Now he needs to bring in the professional sports executives. If he does this, he will become the smartest most determined owner in the history of football. If he doesn't, he's nowhere near as intelligent as he's made out to be.

True talent knows what it is good at and sticks to it, everything else is assigned to someone who is good at that task. Never ask how you're going to get something done, always ask who is the best person to get it done.

One of the consequences of this super-league mess is that at last Levy may well hand over responsibility for the footballing side of the business to someone who might do a better job.

Of course, it will mean truely handing over the whole of the power to hire fire and buy.

He has to do it, if he doesn't then new funding for the business will not happen.

The search is well under way.

who would you appoint?
To be perfectly honest Ex, I have no bloody idea, will just read about everyone else's suggestions.

I have nout against DL, I do think he has done a good job at Spurs, oh a couple of misdemeanors but hey! who can say they haven't in their life, its always been what he thinks is the best, so I believe lessons will/have been learnt.

To be perfectly honest Ex, I have no bloody idea, will just read about everyone else's suggestions.

I'm told we're using some of the best in the business to put together a short list; but it looks to me from what a few well-informed people are saying, it might well be a top-bottom down complete restructure.

Guess we will know soon enough.

Now who'd make a good DoF?!

Although the thought occurs to me; it's a chicken and the egg situation - what comes first a brand new structure with a DOF or a new manager?

I'm told we're using some of the best in the business to put together a short list; but it looks to me from what a few well-informed people are saying, it might well be a top-bottom down complete restructure.

Although the thought occurs to me; it's a chicken and the egg situation - what comes first a brand new structure with a DOF or a new manager?
I would like a DOF to have input into to the structure of the club.

Where are the appalling decisions?

The only one I can see is Mourinho and that was a risk I would have taken. Although I would have intervened much sooner. It's what he does next that matters.

He has put us in a position to move into the elite and the ability to stay there. As Ex alluded to in his opening post, that's as far as his abilities go. Now he needs to bring in the professional sports executives. If he does this, he will become the smartest most determined owner in the history of football. If he doesn't, he's nowhere near as intelligent as he's made out to be.

True talent knows what it is good at and sticks to it, everything else is assigned to someone who is good at that task. Never ask how you're going to get something done, always ask who is the best person to get it done.

Here are a few appalling decisions from the top of my head:

Has got one manager right in 20 years of being chairman. Still ended up with no trophies.

He rarely gets the timing right when he sacks the manager.

He has failed continuously in the transfer market with his poor negotiating skills leaving us scrambling every transfer window.

Amazing how so many forget his shocking treatment of Martin Jol? Remember him sniggering in the stands and Jol found out during a game he was sacked?

The amazing chairman that made minimum wage employees furloughed and wouldn't top up the 20% until the fans put pressure on him. Then he and the club earn millions a year. What a guy hey.

His and ENICs decision to go for a super league move without even consulting the fans and manager just shows what an absolute deluded **** he is.

I'm sure there's millions more.

Oh yeah 1 trophy in 20 years. 😉

Him getting a SD in to do the nitty gritty stuff is 15 years to late as far as I'm concerned.

Chicken and Egg, good analogy, its simple find a manager and DOF who can work together, your right its not that simple lol!
Yep which one chooses who first.

Yes it seems "times they are a changing".

The new manager must be part of the process of bringing in a DOF/SD.

We have seen everytime in the past where the DOF has fallen out with the head coach.

It seems DL gets all the blame for no Trophies, naughty boy DL, nothing todo with the other sides stopping us winning them then, or even bad luck.

If...
He gets the manager dead right and we still do not win any, blame DL.
We buy players that are right and we still do not win any, that's right blame DL.

Before SKY came along and putting their big bucks into the game not much was said about Trophies, then the brain washing started.

DL built a brilliant training facility, a magnificent ground, investment, with dreams for the future, along comes a bloody Pandemic, scuppers everything, then add a mistake appointing the has-been, he's gone now, so clean sheet/slate start again and try yes try to win something.

My problem is that DoF's mostly get attributed to incoming transfers i.e. recruitment. When you go back and look at Arnesen, Commoli, Baldini etc it was all about that. Hence why the last name on anyone's list was Luis Campos from Lille.

Quite frankly, I would do something like break the club down into football vs non-football operations and appoint a 2-in-the-box leadership structure reporting to the chairman.

The non-football operations lead runs everything from the stadium hospitality franchises, the retail arm, sponsorship and the NFL / other events. Somebody that can optimise all these revenue streams and ensure that the long-term debt is in control. More of a commercial DNA.

The football operations lead would be bigger than the previous DoF roles. They would be singularly accountable for the men's, women and academy activities including transfer activity. It would need to be someone with an opinion on football matters and huge credibility in the game. My choice would be Joachim Leow especially if we're considering someone like Nagelsmann for the 1st team role.

It seems DL gets all the blame for no Trophies, naughty boy DL, nothing todo with the other sides stopping us winning them then, or even bad luck.

If...
He gets the manager dead right and we still do not win any, blame DL.
We buy players that are right and we still do not win any, that's right blame DL.

Before SKY came along and putting their big bucks into the game not much was said about Trophies, then the brain washing started.

DL built a brilliant training facility, a magnificent ground, investment, with dreams for the future, along comes a bloody Pandemic, scuppers everything, then add a mistake appointing the has-been, he's gone now, so clean sheet/slate start again and try yes try to win something.

He doesn't get all the blame for not winning trophies as that is also the players and managers responsibility.

But if you are the big cheese running the ship for 20 years and have failed to win anything you damn right questions should be asked. There isn't a industry on the planet where this doesn't happen.

I couldn't careless about the training facilities or stadium. All paid for by bank loans and the fans/TV money will be paying the debts off not them scum bags.

My problem is that DoF's mostly get attributed to incoming transfers i.e. recruitment. When you go back and look at Arnesen, Commoli, Baldini etc it was all about that. Hence why the last name on anyone's list was Luis Campos from Lille.

Quite frankly, I would do something like break the club down into football vs non-football operations and appoint a 2-in-the-box leadership structure reporting to the chairman.

The non-football operations lead runs everything from the stadium hospitality franchises, the retail arm, sponsorship and the NFL / other events. Somebody that can optimise all these revenue streams and ensure that the long-term debt is in control. More of a commercial DNA.

The football operations lead would be bigger than the previous DoF roles. They would be singularly accountable for the men's, women and academy activities including transfer activity. It would need to be someone with an opinion on football matters and huge credibility in the game. My choice would be Joachim Leow especially if we're considering someone like Nagelsmann for the 1st team role.
That sounds very good, each to their own, tight ship, it could well work, but will something of that type happen?

He doesn't get all the blame for not winning trophies as that is also the players and managers responsibility.

But if you are the big cheese running the ship for 20 years and have failed to win anything you damn right questions should be asked. There isn't a industry on the planet where this doesn't happen.

I couldn't careless about the training facilities or stadium. All paid for by bank loans and the fans/TV money will be paying the debts off not them scum bags.
Ok RD, where does it say or written that us winning these Trophies are our god given right.