New signings.... | Vital Football

New signings....

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
In the last week Sheffield Wednesday and AFC Wimbledon have signed players.
We are crying out for reinforcements surely between Evans and Scally common sense could prevail and we could sign somebody or is that against the EFL loan conditions?

I don't believe we can sign anyone until January and that only after someone leaves.The only player as I understand who we could bring in in theory at least is Kelman.He is officially still our player.Even when we get to the window I believe someone will have to leave not easy apart from loans perhaps especially if contacted players are still injured.
I would say we can't depend on new signings this season apart from swapping a loan or two .Generally the loans have been OK so there isn't much going to happen there .Unless we sell a player for decent money I can't see a way out. Scally seemed convinced that this embargo that should not be named as such continues for two years .The players we have are at least fighting but I can't see that we will be able to change much apart from bringing back injured players.That in itself could feel like a new signing when they are fit.

Last edited:
In my opinion judging on the things that have been said about the embargo it appears we need to seriously look at how we can come out of it before the end of the season. Having it still in place in July would in my view paint a bleak picture going forward. Especially as it appears to mean every single player will be out of contract at the end of this season and potentially next.That means any players can be simply recruited by other teams for little or no transfer fees.
This will of course mean we lose any player worth having in each of the next two seasons.If this is the plan going forward then I really can't see any chance whatsoever of competing at league one level next season. If we can't get out of this situation this season I fear for the clubs future.
Many fans dismissed the embargo as nothing important. When the fact that we can't offer long contracts to anyone and can't compete on wages with many at our level means even league Two sides can offer far better deals while this embargo is in place.The fact that revenue appears to be worse than expected leaves us in a very bleak position indeed in my view unless Scally can get investment or sell the club.
I don't think it is any coincidence that Gillingham and Fleetwood both now find ourselves in the bottom four .The embargo rules in my view make it almost impossible for anyone in that situation.

Last edited:
Whatever you want to say about Scally good or bad - Evans has signed all these current players he demolished the original squad and has bought his own players in over the past 2/3 seasons. His style is to get in as many as he can muster and offload the ones that don’t work out. Well I think most of us could manage that model and make a half decent effort. The coaching of the players and style is down to Evans and Rayner - no one else - we all know you have to manage a squad but to have 10 injured players takes some doing ? Ie did he bring in the wrong players to begin with ? We all know when you struggle in the lower 6 clubs - little tends to go you’re way. We’ve all made similar comments as such in the past when we’ve struggled with previous managers. The buck has to stop with evans on this one he bought Akinde in and it’s not Scally’s or the fans fault he can’t hit a barn door with a banjo ?. On balance there’s been some very good signings but overall he’s made some bad decisions and wasted funds. When the Evans merry go round of players coming and going stops - quite simply he struggles. That being said I want him to ‘ coach ‘ these players and get them back to winning ways. I don’t want Gills to drop down to league 2 and I’m sure neither does anyone else. Of the team is winning a lot of fans will come back. Let’s be honest some of his hoof ball techniques he’s employed in the early season has been pretty dire. Although I don’t like him or his style I still want the team to do well. It’s those horrible 0-1 losses like yesterday that get to me when we should have got a result.

Whatever you want to say about Scally good or bad - Evans has signed all these current players he demolished the original squad and has bought his own players in over the past 2/3 seasons. His style is to get in as many as he can muster and offload the ones that don’t work out. Well I think most of us could manage that model and make a half decent effort. The coaching of the players and style is down to Evans and Rayner - no one else - we all know you have to manage a squad but to have 10 injured players takes some doing ? Ie did he bring in the wrong players to begin with ? We all know when you struggle in the lower 6 clubs - little tends to go you’re way. We’ve all made similar comments as such in the past when we’ve struggled with previous managers. The buck has to stop with evans on this one he bought Akinde in and it’s not Scally’s or the fans fault he can’t hit a barn door with a banjo ?. On balance there’s been some very good signings but overall he’s made some bad decisions and wasted funds. When the Evans merry go round of players coming and going stops - quite simply he struggles. That being said I want him to ‘ coach ‘ these players and get them back to winning ways. I don’t want Gills to drop down to league 2 and I’m sure neither does anyone else. Of the team is winning a lot of fans will come back. Let’s be honest some of his hoof ball techniques he’s employed in the early season has been pretty dire. Although I don’t like him or his style I still want the team to do well. It’s those horrible 0-1 losses like yesterday that get to me when we should have got a result.
I don't see Evans as a coach, perhaps Rayner may be. It's difficult to describe Evans coaching ability, players seem to like playing for him but I don't see him being the one to get us out of our current predicament.
He also needs to stop alienating other coaching teams.

I don't see Evans as a coach, perhaps Rayner may be. It's difficult to describe Evans coaching ability, players seem to like playing for him but I don't see him being the one to get us out of our current predicament.
He also needs to stop alienating other coaching teams.
Evans had us well organised. But we simply have nobody with confidence in front of goal.That is mainly a financial thing.Yes he could have gone for other players and personally I feel we desperately need to try to move a few on in January especially Akinde in my view.

I believe Evans gave up the Diplomatic service so that he could advance the cause of football, raise the standard of coaching and ensure that managers get the respect they deserve.

Embargo means we can only make signings in the transfer windows. Also we are limited on first team squad size to either 23 or 24 players, depending on whether you believe the EFL rules or what Scally said on his last chat.

Embargo means we can only make signings in the transfer windows. Also we are limited on first team squad size to either 23 or 24 players, depending on whether you believe the EFL rules or what Scally said on his last chat.

And any loans we bring in have to have all their wages paid by the parent club.

Yes true. So that massively restricts who we can sign of course.

A big reason for keeping SE IMO. His contact book might be critical in getting a couple in on loan (once Kelman and A.N Other loans finish in Jan).Will still be a tough ask though.

A big reason for keeping SE IMO. His contact book might be critical in getting a couple in on loan (once Kelman and A.N Other loans finish in Jan).Will still be a tough ask though.

A contact book is all well and good, but you need those contacts to be in a position to help. The football industry is fluid very few coaches stay that long at any club. Managers need to persuede other clubs to loan them players, they to have a gift of the gab to do a deal not just knowing who to phone, but also have a reputation of improving players.

A contact book is all well and good, but you need those contacts to be in a position to help. The football industry is fluid very few coaches stay that long at any club. Managers need to persuede other clubs to loan them players, they to have a gift of the gab to do a deal not just knowing who to phone, but also have a reputation of improving players.
Certainly Norwich look at the style of football before sending a player on loan.I would guess that the Adshead deal was only agreed as he was a defensive midfielder. Because of the defensive direct style that Evans deploys it would make it more difficult to get smaller strikers on loan.Kelman's departure might have had a lot to do with the minutes played.But it could also have been the style of football. It need not be any clash of personality as some might have assumed.

Certainly Norwich look at the style of football before sending a player on loan.I would guess that the Adshead deal was only agreed as he was a defensive midfielder. Because of the defensive direct style that Evans deploys it would make it more difficult to get smaller strikers on loan.Kelman's departure might have had a lot to do with the minutes played.But it could also have been the style of football. It need not be any clash of personality as some might have assumed.

re: Kelman. It could have been any of those things Chris.

But I’d have thought a 19 yo loanee who’s hardly played and never scored telling the coach to “f off” is a big reason. The fact he left a day or so later and not weeks either side tends to back that imho.

re: Kelman. It could have been any of those things Chris.

But I’d have thought a 19 yo loanee who’s hardly played and never scored telling the coach to “f off” is a big reason. The fact he left a day or so later and not weeks either side tends to back that imho.

I wasnt at the WHU U23s game but the reports of bust up between Raynor and Kelman suggest that's the reason.

Management team has to retain full authority and stamp down hard on anything like that especially from a young fringe player on loan.

The real shame is I look at Saturday and how isolated Akinde was and think would Kelman have played. Is kelman more of a natural goalscorer than Akinde ? Oliver injury could have given kelman a run of games and maybe that's what he needed to show us what he's capable of.

Assuming he goes back out on loan in January it will be interesting to see what he does elsewhere