New Signings | Vital Football

New Signings

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
So far Nothing!!
I'd anticipate, even with all those offered new deals accepting, Pools need to recruit, at least, 10 more players. In the EFL they have a 7 man bench so the matchday squad is 18, minimum. This coupled with the "transfer window " means that you need 18++ to cover for injuries, suspension or loss of form.

On a positive note I see that there's a little Argentinian become a free agent in Spain - perhaps he could be a new Gus Dilella? (apologies for any misspellings)

The silence is a little unnerving to say the least. Not even Dave C has signed a new contract. I appreciate the club will have made offers to players and given them time to think it over, but surely there needs to be some sort of time limit. I guess we cant sign new players until we know which existing players are staying or going because of budget calculations. The impression I have picked up from various mail articles is that the out of contract players are the subject of interest from a number of clubs so the players have a variety of options and I presume they can play one club against another but surely someone needs to say "enough is enough". These are purely my views but I doubt we will see Rhys Oates in a Pools shirt next year or indeed, Luke Molyneux and Jamie Sterry. As for the others I have no idea. Whatever happens we need to know one way or another, sooner rather than later.

For me the euphoria of winning promotion, via the playoff final, is wearing off and the reality of being able to compete in League 2 is becoming, increasingly, a concern.
Pools are already behind other teams in terms of preparation due to the lateness of the Playoff final, and this along with the lack of finance will be impacting on squad recruitment. Like you Alf2 I doubt Oates or Sterry will be at Pools next season. The other players offered deals should indicate their intentions before the end of the week, I hope!
I'm hoping that signings will be forthcoming this week ahead of the commencement of preseason training, and that DC will have committed to a new contract. All of which may prove to be just wishful thinking.

It appears, Liddle and Featherstone have finally signed so by my calculations that makes six players from the promotion team on board for the new season, seven if you count Crawford though he didn't play much. We are waiting for Oates, Sterry, Molyneux and the Killip. Armstrong, Johnson and Cass already gone.

Last edited:
So far Pools have signed two defenders, Ogle and Byrne, along with a midfielder Smith.
I'm assuming that Mols isn't going to accept the deal he's been offered, neither is there a likelihood of Francis-Angol being with Pools this season.
The lineup in today's friendly will be interesting, by my reckoning the only forward on Pools books is young Joe Grey, in respect of forward position selection.

Joe Grey as a striker and transfer listed McDonald on the wing are the only forwards on Pool's books as things stand. I presume there are a few trialists knocking about hoping to get a contract by impressing in the pre-season games. Certainly could do with a forward or two with defence and midfield now fairly well covered. I suspect Angol has moved on, hence the signing of Ogle who, though a right back "by trade" is able to play anywhere across the back line including left back. Angol looked really good in the games he played and I was hoping we might be able to keep him. Anyway, as you say it will be interesting who plays in this afternoons run out.

I believe that Pools currently have a squad of 18, including Francis-Angol and Cullen who we are led to believe are expected to sign up, I think I read previously that DC wants a squad of 24. This means we can expect only 2 or 3 more permanent recruits, leaving space for 2 or 3 loan signings from Premiership/ Championship clubs. Of these Pools require at least 1 more goalkeeper.

The "trialists" in tomorrow's game will be interesting, especially after DCs comments after the Spennymoor match.

Aside from Cullen can we expect any further Signings before the season opener against Crawley?
With my pessimistic head on, other than perhaps a goalkeeper, I don't believe there'll be any squad additions.

Confirmation now that Cullen has signed, along with Lawlor. I'd anticipate that we will sign another goalkeeper, after that any additional recruits will be loanees.

Pools seem to have plenty of defensive players but are looking short of numbers in midfield and, especially, attack.

Interesting couple of additions to the squad ahead of Saturday's game at Oldham
Mike Fondop and
Jordan Cook

They could make a difference, if selected

I must admit I have not heard of Cook but Fondop has scored a few over time particularly at Wrexham. Hopefully they will provide the "presence" we are so badly in need of. Cook can play in midfield as well as up front so he may prove a useful addition. Something new to add to the team which could make a difference. Here's hoping.