New signings this week?) | Page 2 | Vital Football

New signings this week?)

When you look back the players we have signed on loan or permanent from the Biggest clubs have generally been at best average at worst rubbish. I must say I never thought Willock would be that great .The Arsenal lads.That Chelsea midfield player we had a few years back. Going back at lot further that centre forward from Spurs Cooper what a waste of space.Target players from the likes of Southampton sure .But I would be happy if we never touched another player direct from the big six or seven clubs to be honest.

I am not suggesting that Cooper was the best thing since sliced bread but he was playing in a very poor side and I doubt if he saw a decent cross once in the season.

In today`s Kentonline:

Gillingham manager Steve Evans admits any new additions this season are now unlikely. Evans had been looking at bringing in uncontracted players to bolster his forward line but it’s been a frustrating hunt.

Speaking on Saturday, Evans was asked if they were likely to finish the season with what they had and said: “I think we have to. We are always looking if the right player becomes available.

“I said before I wanted one and he is still waiting on Real Madrid. He is kicking his heels training with a Championship club thinking there might be a deal there when he has been told there won’t be. It’s not just myself who is frustrated, I think there are other teams trying to get the kid as well. That is his business, not mine, we can only try."

So it seems that we`ll be making do for the rest of the season. Thinking about the Player alluded to above by Steve Evans, I suspect he could be talking about ex-Chelsea and one time mega prospect - Josh McEachran (now 27yrs) , who has been released by Birmingham City and is available to sign as an un-contracted player. A guy with terrific potential but injury-prone.

I’d make Evans right.
Not much point in any additional signings after the Wimbledon defeat.
We’re basically mid table and will remain so.
Little point in wasting money.

I’d make Evans right.
Not much point in any additional signings after the Wimbledon defeat.
We’re basically mid table and will remain so.
Little point in wasting money.

Agree with you for the most part - we're not going anywhere this season (in either direction), and there's certainly no point in signing anyone just to make up the numbers.

But if the right player does happen to become available, it might still be worth making a move now if we can afford the luxury of paying them for the rest of this season - leave it until the close season and you run the risk of other teams coming in for them.

Can't argue with the logic. But I hope that the team don't just rest up and go through the motions for the remainder of the season. We need another 10 points to be safe. And I would like to think that professional pride will encourage them to try and beat last year's total and position in the league. There's no reason why we can't break into the top 10 and get 25 points from the remaining 45 available; starting with a win tomorrow night!

we can start building for next season. Get players bedded in and showing Evans and Raynor what they can do.

Can't argue with the logic. But I hope that the team don't just rest up and go through the motions for the remainder of the season. We need another 10 points to be safe. And I would like to think that professional pride will encourage them to try and beat last year's total and position in the league. There's no reason why we can't break into the top 10 and get 25 points from the remaining 45 available; starting with a win tomorrow night!

Exactly. Our guys are pro footballers and they will want to win every game and SE should ensure that we are playing as a unit that is striving to win every game. Whilst we may not currently look like a promotion-form team, nothing`s impossible. What is probable is that a team/s currently sitting outside the top seven will end the season in the top seven. I know I bang on about it but, IMO, over the last couple of months the only thing that has stopped us being a play-off contender is the lack of a nippy goal scoring sniper up front. If one becomes available, we should sign him up. Waiting for Samuel will be a long wait.

Exactly. Our guys are pro footballers and they will want to win every game and SE should ensure that we are playing as a unit that is striving to win every game. Whilst we may not currently look like a promotion-form team, nothing`s impossible. What is probable is that a team/s currently sitting outside the top seven will end the season in the top seven. I know I bang on about it but, IMO, over the last couple of months the only thing that has stopped us being a play-off contender is the lack of a nippy goal scoring sniper up front. If one becomes available, we should sign him up. Waiting for Samuel will be a long wait.
While I agree with your principle LGR you seem to be assuming that most of the guys who are playing for us at the moment will still be around next season, and that is where we differ. I am not even confident that SE will be around after the last match has been played.

With regard to the playing staff, we have a couple of players who are almost certainly going to be poached (Dempsey and Graham) by bigger teams with more dosh, I'm not sure exactly what the situation is with Bonham but it has been suggested his contract runs out at the end of the season and he might also attract interest elsewhere. We have a number of loan players who almost certainly will not be around when pre-season begins and the rest is pretty threadbare. I can say with my hand on my heart that I hope your optimism trumps my pessimism but there is a little warning bell ringing in my head saying it won't.

PS, regarding this (Waiting for Samuel will be a long wait) there were a lot of apprentices at Chatham Dockyard who were sent for a long weight at the tool magazine. It was a standard prank by the old timers.

While I agree with your principle LGR you seem to be assuming that most of the guys who are playing for us at the moment will still be around next season, and that is where we differ. I am not even confident that SE will be around after the last match has been played.

With regard to the playing staff, we have a couple of players who are almost certainly going to be poached (Dempsey and Graham) by bigger teams with more dosh, I'm not sure exactly what the situation is with Bonham but it has been suggested his contract runs out at the end of the season and he might also attract interest elsewhere. We have a number of loan players who almost certainly will not be around when pre-season begins and the rest is pretty threadbare. I can say with my hand on my heart that I hope your optimism trumps my pessimism but there is a little warning bell ringing in my head saying it won't.

PS, regarding this (Waiting for Samuel will be a long wait) there were a lot of apprentices at Chatham Dockyard who were sent for a long weight at the tool magazine. It was a standard prank by the old timers.

Alex F, no, not assuming anything about next season, just talking about not giving up on the current one. I`ve always agreed with those who say that the number one priority for GFC this season is keeping the club afloat but, i`m also in the camp of looking for our next win and not believing it`s over until it`s actually over.
Like the dockyard wind-up, good stuff, people should have more fun at work - it`s good for morale.

Alex F, no, not assuming anything about next season, just talking about not giving up on the current one. I`ve always agreed with those who say that the number one priority for GFC this season is keeping the club afloat but, i`m also in the camp of looking for our next win and not believing it`s over until it`s actually over.
Like the dockyard wind-up, good stuff, people should have more fun at work - it`s good for morale.
I, too, also stand in the "looking for our next win" camp unfortunately our lot quite often flatter to deceive, losing to opponents we should really be battering and then, somehow, pulling off a great result against the top teams when most of us had already accepted that we were going to lose. Part and parcel of being a Gills supporter.

I have given up on this season as it happens. In my mind we do not have a hope in hells chance of getting into a play-off position although I would very much like to be proven wrong. As much as I respect what Evans has managed to do for us, I do not think he has the tools to take us out of this league. Not his fault, I hasten to add, he has worked miracles with a small squad and little money - his miracles just do not compare to that bloke who fed 5000 people with only 2 loaves and 5 fishes. Now that really was a miracle........

I, too, also stand in the "looking for our next win" camp unfortunately our lot quite often flatter to deceive, losing to opponents we should really be battering and then, somehow, pulling off a great result against the top teams when most of us had already accepted that we were going to lose. Part and parcel of being a Gills supporter.

I have given up on this season as it happens. In my mind we do not have a hope in hells chance of getting into a play-off position although I would very much like to be proven wrong. As much as I respect what Evans has managed to do for us, I do not think he has the tools to take us out of this league. Not his fault, I hasten to add, he has worked miracles with a small squad and little money - his miracles just do not compare to that bloke who fed 5000 people with only 2 loaves and 5 fishes. Now that really was a miracle........

Hear what you say and i`m sure you`re not alone with those thoughts. You may well be right but, in spite of my occasional criticism of GFC, I prefer to Never Give Up, on anything, we`ll get there in the end....

Hear what you say and i`m sure you`re not alone with those thoughts. You may well be right but, in spite of my occasional criticism of GFC, I prefer to Never Give Up, on anything, we`ll get there in the end....
Perhaps we could start a petition asking the club to change the motto to "Nil desperandum carborundum". In spite of everything, I'll pay my money to watch them this evening either sleep easy (win or a draw) or not at all. Let's hope it's the former!