New signing | Page 2 | Vital Football

New signing

Am I the only one getting sick and tired of Evans constantly whinging about our budget?
Every time we sign someone he says “there were a host of league one and Championship clubs after him” and in the next breath he is saying we can’t get anyone half decent because we have the smallest budget on the planet.
No one is listening anymore Steve.
Why don’t you spend your time trying to get the best out Graham, Johnson, Dempsey etc. by getting the lads playing some football?

Every manager wants more funds but these are exceptional times where survival is more important than anything else.
I would like to see us move on from the 5-0-5 formation to say, 4-4-2 or something.

Every manager wants more funds but these are exceptional times where survival is more important than anything else.
I would like to see us move on from the 5-0-5 formation to say, 4-4-2 or something.
I recall a documentary with Karen Brady and she said every single manager that she had ever worked with had one thing in common.
One more player. I just need one more player.

Am I the only one getting sick and tired of Evans constantly whinging about our budget?
Every time we sign someone he says “there were a host of league one and Championship clubs after him” and in the next breath he is saying we can’t get anyone half decent because we have the smallest budget on the planet.
No one is listening anymore Steve.
Why don’t you spend your time trying to get the best out Graham, Johnson, Dempsey etc. by getting the lads playing some football?

Stop getting sick and tired of it Bathnight. Steve isn’t going to change. He’s been like that for 30 years of management.

It actually gobsmacks me that people still get annoyed. What does it matter?

In one ear, out the other.....

Steve’s comments here probably explain why he hasn’t been able to sign any experienced players recently:
“We all want to go for the same type of player and you have to be in the pecking order, you have to accept that you are not going to take the ones you ideally want.”

“Our offers for players is going to be less than what others can offer, but you can’t get down, if you get down in this game you would give up. We are where we are, we can afford what we can afford and we are working hard to strengthen the group”

Agree, the problem has always been the same, we can't offer a competitive wage for the type of player we want to come and play for us compared to other clubs. We seem to rely on the player wanting to come, in spite of the financial offer. Either were going for players out of our range or pushing hard to get better quality than we can afford to pay the going rate for.

Agree, the problem has always been the same, we can't offer a competitive wage for the type of player we want to come and play for us compared to other clubs.

Overall, Paul Scally has been great for our club - saving GFC from oblivion, a rebuilt Priestfield, three Wembley appearances, 5 years in the Championship, a string of great players - but his one massive failing has been his inability to find other investment to take us to the next level. We've been treading water for years. As a result, League 1 midtable mediocrity is the best we can realistically expect. I can't see it changing any time soon.

PS: Before other people say it - yes, Scally has made loads of other mistakes too. But the inability to bring in serious new money in 20 years of trying is the one that really matters for me.

Would make sense if it was a Wycombe forward .I can't see us being able to afford any of the others.

Overall, Paul Scally has been great for our club - saving GFC from oblivion, a rebuilt Priestfield, three Wembley appearances, 5 years in the Championship, a string of great players - but his one massive failing has been his inability to find other investment to take us to the next level. We've been treading water for years. As a result, League 1 midtable mediocrity is the best we can realistically expect. I can't see it changing any time soon.

PS: Before other people say it - yes, Scally has made loads of other mistakes too. But the inability to bring in serious new money in 20 years of trying is the one that really matters for me.
I think to dissect it even further, its his inability to hand over the reigns and walk away. I think over the years he has had offers (didn't the guy from MEMS make an offer???) but, if the rumours are true, he refuses to sell up more than half share as he wants to retain ultimate control. The only answer for me would be to sell up completely to someone who has the financial clout to take us forward. I wouldn't have thought there would be anyone who would just plough money in but leave the decision making to PS.
It sounds harsh as I totally respect all he has done for us but, to use a well worn football phrase, he's taken us as far as he can. Sadly, if we are to progress, he needs to let it go.

Fred Onyedinma???
Might make sense lively can play on both wings ordown the middle.Played regularly but not scored.its guess work but could be worth a punt good age too.

I think to dissect it even further, its his inability to hand over the reigns and walk away. I think over the years he has had offers (didn't the guy from MEMS make an offer???) but, if the rumours are true, he refuses to sell up more than half share as he wants to retain ultimate control. The only answer for me would be to sell up completely to someone who has the financial clout to take us forward. I wouldn't have thought there would be anyone who would just plough money in but leave the decision making to PS.
It sounds harsh as I totally respect all he has done for us but, to use a well worn football phrase, he's taken us as far as he can. Sadly, if we are to progress, he needs to let it go.

Agree with your sentiment, Nobby. But would add that, in the current climate, we might need change just to stay where we are, let alone progress.

I do agree with this, yet we need to be careful what we wish for.
I remember 15/18 years ago and Charlton were sitting 4th in the premier league around January time. It may have been the season we beat them in the cup actually. Anyway come the end of the season and they had dropped to their usual placing of 8th to 12th, this was obviously the time when all their fans began moaning that Curbishley had taken them as far as he could they wanted someone new to push them that little bit further to trouble the top 4 regularly.
Well, we know what happened when they did replace him.
Now I know a manager is different to a chairman but sometimes it is better to stick with what you know.

I do agree with this, yet we need to be careful what we wish for.
I remember 15/18 years ago and Charlton were sitting 4th in the premier league around January time. It may have been the season we beat them in the cup actually. Anyway come the end of the season and they had dropped to their usual placing of 8th to 12th, this was obviously the time when all their fans began moaning that Curbishley had taken them as far as he could they wanted someone new to push them that little bit further to trouble the top 4 regularly.
Well, we know what happened when they did replace him.
Now I know a manager is different to a chairman but sometimes it is better to stick with what you know.
Absolutely agree 100%. My ramblings above were more a hyperthetical discussion, by no means is it my wish. I've said on here many times (to derision from some quarters) that I'd much rather have a steady ship under Scally in the knowledge that we were pretty safe in terms of existence than risk everything for a flirtation with the PL and possible doom.
I don't think the PL dream would happen under PS purely for lack of funds for the reasons I stated above but you know what? I'd take L 1 or even 2 safety any day, its where we've been for nearly all of my 45 years as a fan and you cant miss what you never had.
I know some see that as lacking ambition but, as you say, clinging onto the club we all love is priority during these uncertain times.

I recall a documentary with Karen Brady and she said every single manager that she had ever worked with had one thing in common.
One more player. I just need one more player.

incidentally that’s what the Peterborough chairman said about our Steve

my experience of raising money/ getting investment into a business has shown it’s really hard work & that there’s loads of pretenders out there that don’t get past due diligence.

must be even worse trying to do the same as a football club.

Last edited:
my experience of raising money/ getting investment into a business has shown it’s really hard work & that there’s loads of pretenders out there that don’t get past due diligence.

must be even worse trying to do the same as a football club.

Agree and it must be even harder to persuade someone to invest their money into a football club whilst wanting to keep control yourself.

Agree and it must be even harder to persuade someone to invest their money into a football club whilst wanting to keep control yourself.

According to our Paulie, there have been prospective investors that were only interested provide he DID continue to run the club.

Never named them though. Strange that.....

According to our Paulie, there have been prospective investors that were only interested provide he DID continue to run the club.

Never named them though. Strange that.....

Think those investors only contacted him during the night, when he was horizontal and his eyes were shut though.