New signing | Page 3 | Vital Football

New signing

I think to dissect it even further, its his inability to hand over the reigns and walk away. I think over the years he has had offers (didn't the guy from MEMS make an offer???) but, if the rumours are true, he refuses to sell up more than half share as he wants to retain ultimate control.

It sounds harsh as I totally respect all he has done for us but, to use a well worn football phrase, he's taken us as far as he can. Sadly, if we are to progress, he needs to let it go.

The guy from MEMS has did come out a few years back and confirm he was happy at being a sponsor only and that no offers to buy the club was ever made. The problem is that the only people who really know if offers had been made is Scally and the other Directors and I don't believe they would discuss this with people outside the club.

That said, the hearsay I did hear was that he did have an interested party but they weren't prepared to invest the millions unless he got planning permission for The Scally Dome. I suppose it makes sense that if the investor's ambition is Premier League glory to want permission for a bigger ground granted than to spend and then be stuck in a 10500 capacity stadium. This was back when we suddenly started spending big wages on JET and the likes of O'Hara.

What we have had under Scally is a decade of success based upon the foundations on the pitch by Pulis followed by a fall back to the natural position in football we have occupied for most of our existence. It isn't so much that Scally has taken the club as far as he can as much as he has taken us as far as all our owners have been able to.