New signing today | Page 3 | Vital Football

New signing today

You seem to have a bit of an obsession with me, just because I have a high opinion of and back our own club, rather than blow smoke up the arse and inflate the size and quality of rivals in our division. Also, I’ve never called a former player of ours a “prick”, Finally, one of our players going to someone Who finished below us last season is a bit different to this guy moving from a team who finished 7th in League Two last season going to a team who finished 10th in League One.
I can accept that, through rich backers, a team of our size or only slightly bigger may have a sizeably bigger budget than us. I realise that higher wages makes players think a move to such a club may be attractive for money and Championship ambitions, even if they finished below us this season.

This isn’t failure to back your own team, as you label it. I’m happy with our two signings so far and with another heap of signings I’m looking forward to another play-off challenge.

Having strong opinions on the punishments for Sheff Weds and Wigan isn’t pathetic pandering to Charlton, either. I know they were shit last year and probably deserve relegation, and I’ll even throw in a mention that they’ve tried stealing our fans before.

I’m glad I’m not going back to Luton next year, but wouldn’t have minded Boro or another trip to Brum.

I think that it’s inevitable that they will vote in favour of a squad salary cap.
The proposal for our division is a cap of 2.5 million quid.
That will eliminate much of the advantage of the big league one clubs and level the playing field.
A club can still sign a star on big money but that means that the others will get less.

I do have to laugh at the Eaves comparisons every time we sign a target man with a poor record. Let's be brutally honest with ourselves: Eaves has been the exception to the rule.

For one player in Eaves who defied expectations and his past record: I give you Mandron, Williamson, Wilkinson, Facey, Mulligan and Norris. Generally, every time we have signed a guy with an average record, they have gone on to be just that.

Happy to be proved wrong on him, and it's good we have beaten off competition for him - but it's not one to get the pulse racing imo.

Happy to be proved wrong on him, and it's good we have beaten off competition for him - but it's not one to get the pulse racing imo.

Let’s be honest. Any signing that we could possibly make to “set the pulse racing” would require a transfer fee or a huuuge wage. It isn’t going to happen and I am actually very happy about that. In the current climate.

Eaves hit a period of freak form with us - that’s not to say he can’t do it elsewhere, but his countless confident finishes with his feet definitely showed he was a different finisher to previous. We didn’t expect that when we signed him.

Key to me is a striker’s complete play - if they didn’t score many then they should be causing a nuisance, strong, setting up loads. If a striker comes to us with a poor goal record and didn’t receive praise for his other play, then he’ll probably be shit. We’re not signing Oliver in the hope he’ll turn into a pure goal scorer like Eaves, we’re hoping he’ll provide everything else in a hold-up striker.

That said, if he’s in the box when a cross goes in, then he should still be getting an ok return.

I can accept that, through rich backers, a team of our size or only slightly bigger may have a sizeably bigger budget than us. I realise that higher wages makes players think a move to such a club may be attractive for money and Championship ambitions, even if they finished below us this season.

This isn’t failure to back your own team, as you label it. I’m happy with our two signings so far and with another heap of signings I’m looking forward to another play-off challenge.

Having strong opinions on the punishments for Sheff Weds and Wigan isn’t pathetic pandering to Charlton, either. I know they were shit last year and probably deserve relegation, and I’ll even throw in a mention that they’ve tried stealing our fans before.

I’m glad I’m not going back to Luton next year, but wouldn’t have minded Boro or another trip to Brum.

So do I. That happens and teams can buy/acquire players above their standing with the investment of funds a a rich back - it happens in pretty much every division in every league in the world. My original comment was purely that I was disappointed for us and Max that he has made a sideways/backward move (and I was talking about "on the pitch" rather than money) - no one can doubt Bristol Rovers finished below us last season can they (although judging from previous posts, some might try). My comment about "blowing smoke up the arse" of other clubs was aimed at some bizarre attempts to try to prove Bristol Rovers are a bigger club than us by making statements like they were once a top flight club (they never have been) and in their promotion season, they got double our average attendance (they didn't get anything like that).

As a backer of my own club, when it comes to a debate about whether we are bigger or better than a rival (and I am of course biased, which is the very nature of supporting or backing your club), in respect of us v Rover, I would point out that we had five successful seasons in the second tier in fairly recent memory, they haven't attained that status (let alone top flight status) for about 30 years and have been a non league club in the past decade, we haven't in my lifetime, rather than making things up about top flight status and fictional average attendances.

He must definitely bring something more than just his goal record. They saying he was MOT Series in the play-offs. Anyone on here watch their games?

I watched all three, OSK. Less fancied Cobblers dominated both Exeter and Cheltenham in their post-season promotion run. The main reason for that success was NT`s attacking spearhead of Vadaine Oliver and Callum Morton (youngster on-loan from WBA). Vadaine scored during that run but it was his strength, pace and link-up with Morton that the opposition found hard to deal with.

Sounds and looks good to me! Got to trust SE in building his own team. He has the results and records to prove and show for it so let’s just support his signings and let him do the job. Nice he’s selling it to players that we want to challenge this year, not just consolidation or a relegation fight. Fully behind SE on this, UTG!!

So do I. That happens and teams can buy/acquire players above their standing with the investment of funds a a rich back - it happens in pretty much every division in every league in the world. My original comment was purely that I was disappointed for us and Max that he has made a sideways/backward move (and I was talking about "on the pitch" rather than money) - no one can doubt Bristol Rovers finished below us last season can they (although judging from previous posts, some might try). My comment about "blowing smoke up the arse" of other clubs was aimed at some bizarre attempts to try to prove Bristol Rovers are a bigger club than us by making statements like they were once a top flight club (they never have been) and in their promotion season, they got double our average attendance (they didn't get anything like that).

As a backer of my own club, when it comes to a debate about whether we are bigger or better than a rival (and I am of course biased, which is the very nature of supporting or backing your club), in respect of us v Rover, I would point out that we had five successful seasons in the second tier in fairly recent memory, they haven't attained that status (let alone top flight status) for about 30 years and have been a non league club in the past decade, we haven't in my lifetime, rather than making things up about top flight status and fictional average attendances.
There you go, running on about historical success again. Absolutely, they are not much bigger than us historically. But what you seem to keep missing is that just because they havnt been bigger than us in the past, that it may have changed. Even if they finished below us last season, next season is a different story.

They have funding and are spending good money in comparison to alot of the other clubs in this division. Its likely that with good management they could/should be up there (note, its by no means a cert, but with good management its achievable). Last seasons performance has no bearing on next seasons, nor does the last 30 years. Thats the classic circular argument that so many 'big clubs' used to have when we were in the championship, waving their dicks around claiming they are a bigger club than the others. Its pathetic. No one cares how big you are when the players turn up on the pitch.i used ti love it when we beat these big time charlies that were more focused on their historical size. If it was up to them the league table would be decided purely on average 100 year league postion and attendances, without the need to play any games. But i have diverged...

The key point that was made when he went there was that we just couldn't afford to offer the money they are able to, in fact we couldn't even offer a contract as the season had not even been announced.

While Bristol rovers are absolutely a club weve been able to compete with financially in the past (just last year didnt our keeper come from there?), they now are spending big it seems, so we just cant compete any more.

Unfortunately for us, bristol rovers could risk it/afford it and did.

We simply cannot compete against the money bristol rovers are now able to offer.

Whether that fits with your weird assessment of the last 30 years of their success (or lack of it), or 'whos bigger than who', is irrelevant to their current situation vs our current situation.

They will be expecting to be much more successful than us next year. And if the money they've spent has been spent wisely they probably will achievd it. Thats surely the two key points on ehmers mind in this move:

Is he better off financially? Yes

Is the club likely to do well or better than gills next year? Well yes, he'll be thinking with the spending they have done, they will do very nicely too.

Last edited:
My prediction is that Gills will finish above Bristol Rovers next season.

Me too and I very much hope so. I genuinely get the impression some here hope we don't and even if we do, they'll make something else up to fit their argument. No one seems to have addressed my point of the fictional claims about top flight status and made-up attendances....

I’m hoping so too. But they have made 5 or 6 quality signings. If I were a Rovers fan I’d be delighted with the way the squad is shaping and shouting about promotion prospects at every turn.

There you go, running on about historical success again. Absolutely, they are not much bigger than us historically. But what you seem to keep missing is that just because they havnt been bigger than us in the past, that it may have changed. Even if they finished below us last season, next season is a different story.

They have funding and are spending good money in comparison to alot of the other clubs in this division. Its likely that with good management they could/should be up there (note, its by no means a cert, but with good management its achievable). Last seasons performance has no bearing on next seasons, nor does the last 30 years. Thats the classic circular argument that so many 'big clubs' used to have when we were in the championship, waving their dicks around claiming they are a bigger club than the others. Its pathetic. No one cares how big you are when the players turn up on the pitch.i used ti love it when we beat these big time charlies that were more focused on their historical size. If it was up to them the league table would be decided purely on average 100 year league postion and attendances, without the need to play any games. But i have diverged...

The key point that was made when he went there was that we just couldn't afford to offer the money they are able to, in fact we couldn't even offer a contract as the season had not even been announced.

While Bristol rovers are absolutely a club weve been able to compete with financially in the past (just last year didnt our keeper come from there?), they now are spending big it seems, so we just cant compete any more.

Unfortunately for us, bristol rovers could risk it/afford it and did.

We simply cannot compete against the money bristol rovers are now able to offer.

Whether that fits with your weird assessment of the last 30 years of their success (or lack of it), or 'whos bigger than who', is irrelevant to their current situation vs our current situation.

They will be expecting to be much more successful than us next year. And if the money they've spent has been spent wisely they probably will achievd it. Thats surely the two key points on ehmers mind in this move:

Is he better off financially? Yes

Is the club likely to do well or better than gills next year? Well yes, he'll be thinking with the spending they have done, they will do very nicely too.

Half of my comments about historical success was responding to a made-up claim of someone in your camp who was trying to trump up Bristol Rovers by saying they were a top flight club, when they weren't.

Like shotsy, I hope and expect us to do better than Bristol Rovers next season. I was disappointed Max went, but Trust Evans to do do his business in the transfer market and inspire a similar, if not better, on-field performance next season.

No one seems to have addressed my point of the fictional claims about top flight status and made-up attendances....

Yeah, I pointed out they’d never been in the top flight.

But regarding attendances, they have certainly been higher than us both historically (often) and recently.

Last 3 seasons we’ve averaged pretty constantly 5,200 or thereabouts.

Their last 3 seasons home averages have declined a bit, but are 8,900, 8,200 and 7,900.

So around 50 - 80% higher.

Looking at the stats you’re right, Bristol Rovers haven’t been in top flight any time recently. That’s not me trying to make up things, you can blame my dad for putting it in my mind that at some point in the 90s the two Bristol teams were a force.

In terms of attendances I’d say they’re better than ours on average - their recent division 4 attendances match our Championship ones, and other than us spending a season or two more at that level they beat our attendances. It means we would have to be in the Championship to get the attendances they’ve been getting in League 2.

Recent media reports have shown surprise at recent attendances, but I can imagine it going back to 8-9k this season. We’ll piddle about with 5.5-6k.

First set of figures below are Bristol Rovers, second set are Gills.

D342E3CF-DC36-494C-828D-8BE047A68252.jpeg

EBA00CF8-159E-456B-849C-6D6F465C9A1F.jpeg

I think you’re refusing to accept that they’ll have a more competitive budget than we will. Let’s just see how our teams shape up at the start of the season and how we do.

Last edited:

You may well be right, but one thing for sure, the new season is going to be like no other any of us will have witnessed or played in - even the bookies must be worried as it could turn out to be a free for all. The most successful team might not be the team with the best players in it - it might be the team whose players have their heads on message throughout ! To say that Managing and Coaching are going to be key this new season is a huge understatement. Good news for GFC is that with SE & PR, we are strong in that department.

Me too and I very much hope so. I genuinely get the impression some here hope we don't and even if we do, they'll make something else up to fit their argument. No one seems to have addressed my point of the fictional claims about top flight status and made-up attendances....
Could you advise who youre actually talking about here? As ive never claimed anything of the sort, so its absolutely irrelevant to the argument ive put forward. Seems your clasping at straws of some other poster rather than discussing the rights or wrongs of my points.

Seems also that you are aiming the dig about 'some wanting rovers to do better than us' at me also. What a fcking stupid comment.what planet do you live on? Because we accept rovers currently have more money than us, despite being historically similar, it means we now want rovers to do better than us? How does that logic even follow?

I love that we do better than these so called rich clubs with money to throw away. theres no better compliment than when someone like the ipswich chairman moans about other clubs on a tenth of their budget does better than them, as did happen a few weeks ago.

We might finish higher than rovers, if we spend our money more wisely then maybe we will. Thats exactly the challenge we face. We have to spend our money far more wisely. But we did it to a few clubs this year and i hope we do it again.

Looking at the stats you’re right, Bristol Rovers haven’t been in top flight any time recently. That’s not me trying to make up things, you can blame my dad for putting it in my mind that at some point in the 90s the two Bristol teams were a force.

In terms of attendances I’d say they’re better than ours on average - their recent division 4 attendances match our Championship ones, and other than us spending a season or two more at that level they beat our attendances. It means we would have to be in the Championship to get the attendances they’ve been getting in League 2.

Recent media reports have shown surprise at recent attendances, but I can imagine it going back to 8-9k this season. We’ll piddle about with 5.5-6k.

First set of figures below are Bristol Rovers, second set are Gills.

View attachment 41255

View attachment 41256

I think you’re refusing to accept that they’ll have a more competitive budget than we will. Let’s just see how our teams shape up at the start of the season and how we do.
I 100% accept that Rovers budget is bigger than ours because ours is the lowest in the division and always has been 😉.
The point of their larger average attendance is because they are a city team as opposed to a provincial one like us.
I think that they will be under enormous pressure at home this season to deliver.
Their fans seem to think they will piss this division.

I 100% accept that Rovers budget is bigger than ours because ours is the lowest in the division and always has been 😉.
The point of their larger average attendance is because they are a city team as opposed to a provincial one like us.
I think that they will be under enormous pressure at home this season to deliver.
Their fans seem to think they will piss this division.

And more importantly to me, who's their manager? In the current climate, that's probably a more important factor than anything and we've got a seasoned wizened nasty old pro, they've got a young lad with all the badges and experience of youth and reserve team football at some top clubs, but little first team experience. I know what I'd rather have...

And more importantly to me, who's their manager? In the current climate, that's probably a more important factor than anything and we've got a seasoned wizened nasty old pro, they've got a young lad with all the badges and experience of youth and reserve team football at some top clubs, but little first team experience. I know what I'd rather have...
Well we'll see wont we. Ill be there at the memorial ground supporting the gas to success next year. Up the gas!