new signing to be announced today | Page 3 | Vital Football

new signing to be announced today

Let's just trust Evans to know what he's doing and what kind of players he wants, eh?
Or alternatively we could do as most football fans seem to do these days, we should all ignore the fact that Evans is an experienced manager, and pretend we all have a clue about football, and criticise every signing thats made, and suggest only completely unachievable targets instead, and then when Evans takes us to mid table again we will 'happily admit we were wrong on this occasion', before doing exactly the same next year...and ad infinitum... until it finally doesnt work for a manager (which is absolutely inevitable that it will happen at some point given the average life of a manager at any one club) and then we will say we were right all along and go on about how we never liked evans from the start.

Thats how it works isnt it?

I’m all for a proper debate on new signings discussing strengths weaknesses, opportunities and concerns. I’d love to hear Colchester fans’ opinions on specifically his defending. I like the sound of his play going forwards though.

What frustrates me is there are people, particularly on social media, who have a negative mindset. With every club announcement someone’s thinking “right, what’s the first negative I can find”. They’ll post one or two sentences only, saying:

Signing a young kid from above: “he’s inexperienced. We need experience to get us through these times, players who’ll hit the ground running”

Signing a stand-out player from a league below or Scotland: “he’s only done that vs [name the bottom two/smallest teams]. Non-league rubbish”

Signing a fellow League 1 player: “Why didn’t they re-sign him, then?”

We’re going to be doing this another 10 or so times, aren’t we?
Yep. Last year i think i started a preseason cliches thread, and a few of the examples youve come up with, and many more were raised.

What frustrates me is there are people, particularly on social media, who have a negative mindset. With every club announcement someone’s thinking “right, what’s the first negative I can find”.

Sign Messi: "Evans never did rate Hanlan, he never wanted any of the players that were here when he joined, just wants to bring in his own players"

Cheer up Chris. At the risk of overlapping this thread with the kids' TV one, it's like listening to Eeyore when you're in this kind of mood.

We've got a RB who's by all accounts been one of the best players at a team who did pretty well last year in L2, he's younger than Fuller (who, good as he may be, isn't getting any younger), and who knows the club well and won't therefore have too many problems settling in.

You've been telling us all for ages about how we're looking at reduced budgets, smaller squads, etc. Given those restraints, we could've done a lot worse. Let's just trust Evans to know what he's doing and what kind of players he wants, eh?
We currently have about 10 players including 3 right backs under contract who could all insist on staying. Apart from the fact I believe Fuller is a better player for this reason too I believe it is a massive risk .Unless something is already settled with Fuller or Hobson then I do think that is a serious reason with a tight budget why you don't sign a right back until you know 100% you have the remaining budget left.

It's all about opinions and most of us are working on very little evidence and plenty of wishful thinking. I think but do not know that Fuller and Hodson will go. I will be surprised if either stays. I am convinced that further signings are imminent and I will probably have little knowledge of the newcomers. I am encouraged that we have made a signing at all; it shows that we are planning to train and play matches. That's a start.

We currently have about 10 players including 3 right backs under contract who could all insist on staying. Apart from the fact I believe Fuller is a better player for this reason too I believe it is a massive risk .Unless something is already settled with Fuller or Hobson then I do think that is a serious reason with a tight budget why you don't sign a right back until you know 100% you have the remaining budget left.

Now, that's a more reasonable point. As Evans has made it crystal-clear to both Hodson and Fuller that they're not in his plans, you'd have to assume that we're going to be able to offload at least one of them (preferably Hodson, I'd be quite happy to see Fuller stick around as backup - next season is going to be a strange, condensed season, it'll be difficult for any player to be ever-present, you'd have to think).

You're right though that if for whatever reason we can't offload at least one of them, then it's not the best use of budget. There'll be plenty of time to moan about that later though if it proves to be the case.

So, leaving aside concerns about whether it's the best use of our budget, and bearing in mind that, like it or not, Evans doesn't see Fuller as a first teamer for next season - do you not think Jackson is a decent signing?

It's all about opinions and most of us are working on very little evidence and plenty of wishful thinking. I think but do not know that Fuller and Hodson will go. I will be surprised if either stays. I am convinced that further signings are imminent and I will probably have little knowledge of the newcomers. I am encouraged that we have made a signing at all; it shows that we are planning to train and play matches. That's a start.
I used to drink with a bloke who’d say
I’ll tell you where that Alex Ferguson is going wrong.
Seriously 😂

OK I am perplexed at this signing especially given our lack of budget.But maybe Evan's can make Jackson into a great defensive player or maybe he is changing the roll of our right back.IE playing 3 at the back and wing backs.Maybe Fuller has had enough and no longer wants to stay or is not fit enough for another season. I except I have no way of knowing.

Last edited:
It’s not hard to explain. SE even thought at the start of last season that Barry was too old. Barry proved him wrong by playing exceptional.

But Barry is now a year older and SE did mention (as said earlier) that Barry was running out of puff in the games before the shut down, and then he picked up an injury in that last game. SE has since told Barry straight that we are looking for a younger player.

So, what is so wrong with the signing of a younger, quicker RB? He might not be better in your eyes Chris, that’s ok. But move on now, SE has proved he can pick decent players and Ryan’s our new RB and a pretty decent one at that.

Some of the negative comments amaze me. It’s like COVID doesn’t exist. I was seriously concerned that we’d end up with 5 or 6 senior pros and the rest of the squad made up of whatever youngsters that are still on the books. This signing suggests that we will still be competitive in the market and capable of putting a decent squad together.

Last edited:

I think you have a point on the risk - but maybe the message is being lost in all of the negativity and obvious man-love towards Fuller.

As it goes, I think this is the way that Evans’ does man management. He’s already said that Hodgson and Fuller won’t play a part. In bringing in another right back pronto, it might gently encourage Hodson and/or Fuller to leave if an offer comes along.

I think you have a point on the risk - but maybe the message is being lost in all of the negativity and obvious man-love towards Fuller.

As it goes, I think this is the way that Evans’ does man management. He’s already said that Hodgson and Fuller won’t play a part. In bringing in another right back pronto, it might gently encourage Hodson and/or Fuller to leave if an offer comes along.
What are you on about Fuller is a good league one player that's it.Jackson to my knowledge has never proven himself at this level Perhaps Evan's is right only games will tell .But I feel that in my judgement it is a poor signing. The fact that Evan's gave up on Fuller before might just be could his judgement. IE he was too old then.Sorry based on there performances for us that I have seen there really is no contest.i do wonder if Evan's has seen Jackson in this league before if he had would have signed him?