New signing about to be announced | Page 4 | Vital Football

New signing about to be announced

I wonder if coyle might play further forward rather than wide.

Pace from midfield means they can quickly join the attacks that yhe big men hold up. That said Hanlan, if he signs, could be that pacy striker if he can be coached to read the knock downs.

I am really excited about this season, just fearful that corona will screw it up for us fans.

Imagine being brilliant in restricted capacity and no away games. Bloody awful prospect.

Last edited:
What about this Arsenal kid and Akindie.Akindie has a scoring record mainly in league two of course.
I dont know.....What about the arsenal kid? Not sure how relevant that is in talking about last season's performances.

My response was to your comment stating that last season we had games where we struggled to create chances. I don't think that's entirely correct, or definitely not the norm for us last year anyway. One of the key reasons we were so keen to get a good striker in (Akinde) was that we had plenty of chances and our players didn't seem to be able to finish them, so quite the opposite of what you stated.

We didnt see much of Akinde last year before lockdown (well i didn't, anyway). Hopefully the Arsenal lad will be a better finisher also.

Let's hope he's [Hanlan] been shown where the net is this year. If he adds goals to his game, and he continues to trouble defences in the way i saw last year, people will see him as a pretty good league 1 striker.

Don’t count on it. Hanlan has a 1-on-1 with the Colchester keeper on Saturday. Kicked it straight at the keeper.

If scally had some investment he'd be shouting it from the rooftops. It would be total vindication of his strategy. I am not considering conspiracy theories. I think we just have a few players on bug contracts and others on smaller contracts.

I do hope we can afford them if fans aren't allowed in any time soon.
Could a investment maybe be pending?
IE A investor wants proof that we can have championship potential before investing. Therefore it might be worth Scally's while biting the bullet in the short term himself to achieve that.After all he is probably our highest earner.If he has cut back his own income why not tell us though. But if he hasn't I am not sure where he has the funds for everything we have in place already let alone another few players.

Potential free agent/loan strikers to look at: Tyler Walker, Jordy Hiwula, Omar Bogle, Tyreese John Jules, Darren McQueen.
Of the group, I`d choose Omar Bogle. Of course, we could not possibly afford him, mmm

Omar Bogle signed for Grimsby on a 3 year deal in July

Could a investment maybe be pending?
IE A investor wants proof that we can have championship potential before investing. Therefore it might be worth Scally's while biting the bullet in the short term himself to achieve that.After all he is probably our highest earner.If he has cut back his own income why not tell us though. But if he hasn't I am not sure where he has the funds for everything we have in place already let alone another few players.
Think you're probably best to avoid trying to fill in the blanks of what we don't know. People said this years ago when we had JED, apparently the investment put into JET, Konchesky etc. was all because he had an investor who would only purchase us if we were in the championship or something. It's just people making up rumours trying to read between the lines. 2+2 does not equal 5.

On your other point, sadly I actually doubt he's cut back his income, or he'd have been very quick to tell us that too. I have to admit to being a bit annoyed that he's not dealt with the matter of STs or his salary. He's now had plenty of time.

It says he signed on his profile on Wikipedia, but it doesn't show on Grimsby's site, so maybe he hasn't

Wikipedia isn’t a good source of information as it can be edited by anyone. Bogle hasn’t dropped to League 2 and hasn’t signed for Grimsby.

If Dempsey fell out with Joey Barton that probably shows he's a good character!

Barton is an absolute tit.
Hmm ive always thought hes a prick, but to be fair to him he must have something about him as he's taken a small budget at fleetwood and did well last year, so i guess the players must have been playing for him.

Hmm ive always thought hes a prick, but to be fair to him he must have something about him as he's taken a small budget at fleetwood and did well last year, so i guess the players must have been playing for him.
Not so sure Fleetwood had a small budget. They are being heavily subsidised. I would say they over achieved probably on a average budget.
Madden, Whelan and co would not have been cheap.

My own theory on us managing to get Kyle is that previous big clubs who were interested in him, now can’t fit him in their cap.

I think both Hull and Sunderland are possibly already at or over the limit due to the numbers in their squads. They have to pare back imho.

We have the luxury that with only 12 or 13 contracted, we still have space to offer a player like Dempsey what he is worth. Not overs, just a decent wedge. Hull and Sunderland probably had to drop out of the race for him.

Couple that with maybe giving him the captaincy and SE selling the club and Kyles part in our future, bingo 👍

Either way and however we got him here, he’s a lot better signing than I imagined we’d be making.

My own theory on us managing to get Kyle is that previous big clubs who were interested in him, now can’t fit him in their cap.

I think both Hull and Sunderland are possibly already at or over the limit due to the numbers in their squads. They have to pare back imho.

We have the luxury that with only 12 or 13 contracted, we still have space to offer a player like Dempsey what he is worth. Not overs, just a decent wedge. Hull and Sunderland probably had to drop out of the race for him.

Couple that with maybe giving him the captaincy and SE selling the club and Kyles part in our future, bingo 👍

Either way and however we got him here, he’s a lot better signing than I imagined we’d be making.
Definitely time we used to armband to advantage go bit of business and if the lad is happy and plays well we gain regardless of how good he is at skipper.

I think selling the club is one of Scally's and SE's biggest strengths. Kyle's mum has posted some very complimentary words on The Gills facebook page about how their family was treated by them and the club as a whole during the talks process.
I imagine it can go a long way if you know you and your family are being treated well.

I think selling the club is one of Scally's and SE's biggest strengths. Kyle's mum has posted some very complimentary words on The Gills facebook page about how their family was treated by them and the club as a whole during the talks process.
I imagine it can go a long way if you know you and your family are being treated well.
The main reason I have softened my opinion of Steve Evans is the a official told me while Steve is a nightmare on the side of the pitch.Away from the touchline Steve Evans was a gentleman.

Last edited:
The main reason I have softened my opinion of Steve Evans is the a official told me while Steve in a nightmare on the side of the pitch.Away from the touchline Steve Evans was a gentleman.

Yeah, from afar I get the impression Steve and Paul suffer from “white line fever” when involved in a match.

But when you hear him talking, being interviewed and the things people say he does in the community and how he treats players etc he sounds a different person. He always comes across to me as very articulate and educated. Nothing like his image among opposition fans (us in the past).