New signing about to be announced | Page 7 | Vital Football

New signing about to be announced

Back on topic are there any whispers about more signings this week? SE hinted there might be a few days ago.

Back on topic are there any whispers about more signings this week? SE hinted there might be a few days ago.
I think Rhys Bennett is the only name that's been floating about and pretty sure that's just because of his links with Evans.

I think Rhys Bennett is the only name that's been floating about and pretty sure that's just because of his links with Evans.
It is but it also makes sense as a signing. A potential leader of Ehmer’s age to sit alongside the likes of Tucker, Ogilvie and Medley.

Could be that Steve being in Scotland for a short while might put signings back a day or 2.

Although his hints that Phil alluded to, I thought were made after he knew he’d be going up there, so maybe not.

Think Fridays have been a usual announcing day haven't they?

I’d reckon Rhys Bennett is pretty well nailed on, assuming he’s happy to come south.
He’s been with Evans and Raynor at Mansfield and Peterborough.
Centre back or sitting just in front as the deepest midfielder.
Very tall and with bags of experience.
He certainly fits the bill.
The only sticking point would be if he gets an offer within commuter distance from where he now lives.

Could be that Steve being in Scotland for a short while might put signings back a day or 2.

Although his hints that Phil alluded to, I thought were made after he knew he’d be going up there, so maybe not.

Think Fridays have been a usual announcing day haven't they?
I think after putting a player’s name to Scally and sitting down with the player to sell the club, I think the rest of the job is Scally’s to negotiate terms.

I don't think so OSK.

Evans gives scally his targets and scally does the deals. Steve should be able to focus on his family without impacting deals being announced.

The only exception would be if a new player was made available and we had to decide if we wanted him

I don't think so OSK.

Evans gives scally his targets and scally does the deals. Steve should be able to focus on his family without impacting deals being announced.

The only exception would be if a new player was made available and we had to decide if we wanted him
Not sure i agree there. Players have told us numerous times upon signing words to the effect of "after speaking with the manager it was an easy decision". Evans has also talked about having players whole families (mums, dads, pet goldfish to play in the water feature) down to the club before they sign.

The feeling i get is that Evans goes on a heavy charm offensive with all players that sign, giving them full on tours around the clhb, training pitches etc, probably taking them for lunch to schmooze them (hopefully he treats them to more than just his favourite, dominos). He'll make sure he makes them feel fully valued etc. Of course the money/negotiating will be down to scally, but also in the same respect, if evans has a budget, then evans has to be involved also as he doesnt want scally signing his budget away overpaying on players leaving him nothing to spend on other players.

Id imagine evans has more involvement than you expect. Its not just like handing over a list of names that Scally then does his business with.

Its worth noting also that we only see the players he successfully convinces. I have no doubt for every one he does sign, theres 2/3 that choose to go elsewhere. So thats alot of tours and lunches. No wonder he's so fat. Didnt he sign 22 players one year at peterborough? I hope he has a nandos black card.

Last edited:
Not sure i agree there. Players have told us numerous times upon signing words to the effect of "after speaking with the manager it was an easy decision". Evans has also talked about having players whole families (mums, dads, pet goldfish to play in the water feature) down to the club before they sign.

The feeling i get is that Evans goes on a heavy charm offensive with all players that sign, giving them full on tours around the clhb, training pitches etc, probably taking them for lunch (hopefully he treats them to more than just a dominos). Of course the money/negotiating will be down to scally, but also in the same respect, if evans has a budget, then evans has to be involved also as he doesnt want scally signing his budget away overpaying on players leaving him nothing to spend on other players.

Id imagine evans has more involvement than you expect. Its not just like handing over a list of names that Scally then does his business with.
I’d say that you are pretty spot on there 👍

The feeling i get is that Evans goes on a heavy charm offensive with all players that sign, giving them full on tours around the clhb, training pitches etc, probably taking them for lunch to schmooze them (hopefully he treats them to more than just his favourite, dominos). He'll make sure he makes them feel fully valued etc. Of course the money/negotiating will be down to scally, but also in the same respect, if evans has a budget, then evans has to be involved also as he doesnt want scally signing his budget away overpaying on players leaving him nothing to spend on other players.

Its worth noting also that we only see the players he successfully convinces. I have no doubt for every one he does sign, theres 2/3 that choose to go elsewhere. So thats alot of tours and lunches. No wonder he's so fat. Didnt he sign 22 players one year at peterborough? I hope he has a nandos black card.

gold fish in the water feature

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yep sorry I over simplified my response. What I really meant was after evans had sold the club to the player then scally would take over with the contract negotiation and formal administration of signing and announcement of the player.

Hahahaha first Steve Treacle & now Mozzer...I'm being held accountable for other posters words. 🙃

I admit I've edited my post as at first this was a whoosh and your joke went over my head.

Oh Dear. I didn't realise that you were so short that stuff went over your head. Can I change my mind about that "each way" bet please?:punch::loser:

It is but it also makes sense as a signing. A potential leader of Ehmer’s age to sit alongside the likes of Tucker, Ogilvie and Medley.
Yea, don't get me wrong I think it would be a great signing. A zakuani type of experienced head to compliment the gifted youngsters.

Yea, don't get me wrong I think it would be a great signing. A zakuani type of experienced head to compliment the gifted youngsters.
The combined age of about 65 is what worries me most to be honest. We need an experienced CB IMO. Hopefully even one that is a leader.