New Season Ahead 16/17 | Page 19 | Vital Football

New Season Ahead 16/17

Getting a few chances now at least! Rogic and Dembele really making a difference!

McGregor who has only just come to life in the last 5 mins has gone off and Sviatchenko is on. Back 3 with Janko and Tierney as wing-backs.

This has been a case of hold on for dear life. The ref hasn't helped us at all tonight either. He's been poor!

OMG! We held on! HOW THE HELL did we come out of that and go through? We need to up our game away from home a LOT for the group stages!

Apology wee_od

My internet went down shortly after they scored their 2nd...

Ha! An absolute minimum of £25m to us! Yaldi \o/

...added to £9m for that International cup.

£34m guaranteed in and we've yet to play our third league game :emoticon:19

It needs to be spent on some more quality additions to the team! Janko is still young but he showed pretty much all of his weaknesses tonight! Bit of an Ambrose performance unfortunately. Will need to see if he can bounce back from it. To be fair to him, this was probably not the right game to play him as a RB of a back 4. If he'd started as the RWB with a 3 at the back then he may have had a better night but as a RB in a back 4 in a game like that, we needed him to do a lot of defending and he showed that actually he's not that good at it!
Lustig never looked comfortable or commanding as a CB tonight, again in a back 3 he can do the job but up against any more than SPFL competition and it looks as though he'll struggle!
It looks as though CL football may be a step too far for McGregor. Another one who had an off night.
Craig Gordon needs to become a more commanding GK. He needs to dominate that box!

AGree with the above wee_od.

BR needs to quickly realise that at least two of tonight's team should be nowhere near a European bench far less the starting XI.

He have more than enough money to fix it too. I was a tad conservative with my earlier £25m minimum ... the actual guaranteed minimum payout is actually £30m 30m!

So when the international cup payout is added to our CL pot we'll have pocketed £39 effin million quid ... minimum!

That's really quite ridiculous! I love it though! I think the important thing for the fans and the players in particular is to forget about last night's performance. It was horrid, there's no denying that! However there's no point in dwelling on it now, we've made it! BR will have learned a few things last night....he'll have known about our poor away record in Europe....now he needs to figure out how to fix it, and quick!

We should also remember that some of that team last night have never played CL level football, which credit to HBS they were of that level that you'd find in a group game. When you consider the cost of their squad compared to ours as well, it makes us look like muppets too! If Janko can use last night to learn from and improve from then he still has the makings of a decent RB. Lustig needs to learn that there's nobody behind him to mop up, he is that final line of defence and needs to take charge!
McGregor has been, at times, fantastic for us and offers something different in midfield.....but he just couldn't get into the game last night. The very least he should have done was chase down the ball and press them at every opportunity. If that meant he tired himself out quickly, so be it. He can be subbed....

For me though the system just seemed a little bit unknown. They came out flying and our system wasn't right to deal with them, so we had to alter it....which we know BR likes to do anyway. But it just seemed like the players were then not the right ones for that system.
I still believe that away from home in Europe, you go with 2 solid banks of 4 and then 2 up front. Let the two up front work something, hold the ball up between them, cover both sides of the pitch for the inevitable long ball clearance. It means there isn't just Griffiths up there trying to do it all by himself and having to wait for someone to get close to him.

It was an awful game. This looked like Ronny ball where everyone just punted it up the park and hope Griffiths or Sinclair could beat a defender with a 20 yard lead and get to the ball first. I didn't really understand the tactics unless Rodgers just wanted to defend for 90 minutes, which is what we watched. I don't know why players weren't trying to run the ball out. It worked fabulously in the first leg.

Janko is exposed, to me. I think he's good against SPL opponents but not in Europe. He's too easily fooled and was clearly panicked. I can't believe he lasted the entire match. McGregor stayed composed, but his limited tools become exposed against better competition. Bitton is also an offensive liability. The attack just bogs down around him. He was good in the second half of the first game when we needed someone to stabilize things, but that's all he can really do. He's too slow and too tentative over the ball.

Pretty accurate welch!

However.....the bigger picture is that we have 6 massive games to look forward to in the Group Stages where we landed.....yes you guessed it, Barcelona! We also got paired with Man City and Borussia Monchengladbach. I don't think any fans were expecting any group we got to be easy or that we would make it out of the group and to be honest.....our hopes haven't got any better! All we can hope for is to not be humiliated and to put in good performances. Perhaps a home win against the Germans and a couple of draws would be nice!

Reports are suggesting Johansen may be on the brink of an exit after undergoing a medical in London last night.

Latest Celtic News