New rule : 25-man squad regulation | Page 2 | Vital Football

New rule : 25-man squad regulation

They never lay the plans out plainly I don't think. I had a look too but got more confused that I already was!

State of play on the "25" on14/01/21...
So we are now down to 24 with Miller going on loan...

If rumour about Vassell is true, down to 23.

Other possibilities to get room for manoeuvre...

If we send Blackman back (Warney said unlikely)... down to 22 (we'd still have two keepers left)
If we send Hirst back (Warney said unlikely)... down to 21
If Jozefzoon goes back (unlikely, but the Rams could recall him))... down to 20
If Mattock is not fit enough to play again this season (quite likely)... down to 19

Named in original 25, but not played much - Sadlier (injured) , Clarke, Thompson, Jones

NOT named in the original 25 - Ogbene (injured) , Tilt, Kayode, Proctor (latter two unlikely to be recalled)

Plus Hull, Cooper, Greaves, Gratton(now back in training) and the Academy squad can play in addition to the "25" if needed (Warney would probably only choose them in an absolute emergency situation)

Who is being added to the eligible squad? - I would guess Ogbene first (although still not fit), and probably Tilt. If what Warney said today is true, we are going to try to get through the rest of the season without a proper left back. That can't be a sensible strategy. I know Robertson can "fill in", but that's not his real position, plus he could easily break down again, made more likely by being played out of position.... or maybe somebody else will have to "fill in" there. Who knows? At Championship level our opponents may have "international" level wingers playing, so that is very risky. We may have got away with it in L1, but unlikely to at this level.

Last edited:
I meant those as possiblities to consider really , combined with bringing in new replacements. We definitely should name a full 25 man squad (or possibly 24 like last time). Ogbene and Tilt (if fit) can replace Miller and Vassell, at no cost and takes us back up to "25". Somebody else then has to go for us to bring a new left back in, somebody else in addition to bring a new striker in. Those would be minimum changes that I would go for (although we probably need more). Even if the recovery of Mattock goes as planned, he will only be available to play a few games near the end of the season. Sounds like Warney wants to keep Blackman and Hirst anyway, so in reality we may not see much alteration.

Last edited:
Blackman isn't the only Chelsea player who has been on their books a long time, but has hardly played for them. Midfielder Lucas Piazon left Chelsea this week after a TEN year stint with them... and three senior appearances for the club! There are probably other players in a similar situation too . Somebody on the TalkSport Radio just asked if he is getting a testimonial.:balloon:

Also some rumours now about Tilt going out on loan again, probably not back to Wigan though. Latest takeover bid there recently collapsed.

Last edited:
15/01/21

We are officially down to a squad of 23 now, following departure of Vassell. If rumours about Tilt are correct, we will have room in the squad to sign a new left back immediately
:please:

Last edited:
Our "outs" are always before our "ins" too... and just before a "six-pointer" this time
:(
Might have been an idea to hang on to Miller until after this game, with Jozefzoon unavailable. Strategic thinking may not be our strong point! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Now sounds like Tilt IS in the "25", Proctor isn't. We are up to 24, Ogbene would then make the 25 up if fit... So we will still need to get more players out, in order to bring anybody in. Most likely "outs" from Thompson , Jones, Clarke, or one of the keepers. If Sadlier and Ogbene come back ok, do we still need Jozefzoon?

Last edited:
20/01/21
Comments from Warney over last few days still suggest our three loaned-in players are staying until the end of the season... so if anybody goes out, it is unlikely to be any of them. He has just said that he still wants to add to the squad though.

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised when he came back from Wigan but then he's had a couple of appearances on our bench since - though that's maybe because we hadn't any other players to put there.

Robertson injury has been a problem - let's hope he can have an injury-free spell now. Also Warney has been reluctant to select Thompson to start. Tilt is left-footed, so I thought that he may have been tried at left back, but that hasn't happened.