New rule : 25-man squad regulation | Vital Football

New rule : 25-man squad regulation

mikemiller

Vital Football Hero
Information from Paul Davis (Advertiser)>>>
Championship clubs are now required to name a 25-man squad . The Millers have actually named a 24-man squad, which doesn't include Ogbene or Price or our loaned out players, but DOES include Robertson. Can make alterations in the New Year. Don't know if we are allowed to use extra youth players - eg Hull.
Current spare slot allows us to sign an extra "out of contract "player if needed

Last edited:
20/10/20
BBC Radio Sheffield presenter last night hinted that it was Robertson. We'll soon find out! (Apologies for my mistake in original opening post - I have corrected it to avoid confusion)

Update - Robertson not in tonight's match squad, nor Mattock.
S. MacDonald on bench - two games per week probably too much for him.
Several players are going to be playing out of position again

Last edited:
Given the goal drought from our forwards, an out-of-contract "Leon Best" type short-term signing might be worth considering as "25th player" in the squad. Nobody comes to mind, but Scotty may be on the case?
I realise that with our luck with injuries, it would be high risk!

Last edited:
Re opening post - Carl Robinson was on the radio yesterday suggesting that, given the coronavirus situation, teams should be allowed five extra youth players in their squads - so presumably they are excluded beyond the "25" at the moment.

It wouldn't really affect us, as Warney is very unlikely to pick youth team players anyway (even as sub), but it would definitely be useful for some clubs , especially in L1 and L2. It would also fit the EFL youth development policies too. If one youth player had to be a goalkeeper, it would get around the "emergency keeper loan" problem as well.
Again - not sure what the situation is with that curently. What happens at the moment if a club's squad keepers get injured/quarantined//ill - is the game postponed?

Last edited:
It wouldn't affect us, Mike, because most of our youth lads are out on loan!

Like you, when you think of injuries and possible quarantining I don't think twenty-five would be enough.

Surely no team will be forced to start a game with an outfield player in goal ? No idea if that is the ruling though

06/11/20
Paul Davis (Advertiser ) Twitter - Millers talking to unattached midfielder as possible "25th man" for RUFC squad

Update - we have now signed a new keeper instead.

With the high number of injury-prone players on our books, you are right , Caz, our 25-man squad already doesn't seem enough, even only a few days after it was announced :confused:

Last edited:
Let's hope Vickers might be persuaded to play at left-back as I feel we are strongly in need of someone there.

I thought Wiles had a very good game at the back, but, as Sixpence says, I really think we need him in midfield.

Just checked summarised version of the "25 man squad" rules on Daily Mirror website . According to that:

We ARE allowed to use under-21 y.o. players in addition to the "named 25", unless they have come in on loan (don't think we have any?).
Also permission may be given to sign an emergency keeper, if EFL agrees that is needed.
"25 man squad " rules do not apply to cup competitions.

ie We can add Hull and Greaves to our squad anyway, and also Cooper and Kayode when their loans may be terminated ( January) if needed.
Hope that we won't need them, but if injuries continue at this rate... who knows?

Last edited:
Possible changes to our "25" in January? Some difficult decisions to be made- Blackman, Vassell and Hirst to go? Unless the latter two show something completely out of character at this level , like scoring a few goals!
By the time some of the injured players are fit, the season will be almost over, so some of them might not make the "25" either. Will need to judge on individual fitness progress - no point in some player coming back, playing a couple of games and breaking down again, or having a player on the bench who is not actually fit enough to come on
Tilt could make a return , if still fit by then, as we are short of left-footed defenders. Possibly bring Kayode back? Probably not Proctor, as Warney told him that he was ranked behind Vassell and Hirst anyway at the start of the season

Last edited:
I can't remember what contract Hirst is on - was it until Jan or until the end of the season?

I don't think he will get rid of Vas as he's playing well at the moment - it's just a matter of keeping him fit.

Be nice to see some of the young ones come into the squad although I can't see that happening until we are safe - which might be at the end of the season (or not).

Just checked EFL website for Winter regulations for naming/changing "25 man squad". Can't find anything on there about deadline for that. Presumably some time in early February, after the transfer window has closed? Let's hope that somebody at RUFC has contacted the EFL about this - could be quite important for us re players (hopefully) returning from injury. We will probably want to wait until as late as possible before naming the "25". There is still a Spring transfer deadline, until which time (I am guessing) clubs who had not named a full "25," could bring in "free agents". Not sure about loan regulations this time around. Lots of material on the website, but couldn't find details that could be important for us!

Last edited: