New Proposals | Page 2 | Vital Football

New Proposals

Of all TWO Premier teams to come up with this 'plan' is surely a joke (whilst getting the probable backing on the 'top six') but the problem is they have to get the backing of 14 of 20 Premier teams for it to even be a starter. Will any of them 14 back it, the vocal support so far has been deafening, not. Why would any of the Premier clubs support it if its not in their interests just to help out the EFL clubs?

The figures for the EFL look attractive and look like there's not a lot of negatives, but that gets me suspicious. Since when have any Premier club given a shit about the EFL, and I'm fucked if I believe either of the 'biggest two' are doing this without self interest first.

Parry will be happy if it comes to fruition as its a feather in his cap, but I can't see the lesser teams in the top flight going for it, just as I doubt Turkey's would vote for Christmas.
I share your doubts and cynicism. Wouldn't trust them as far as I could chuck them. Certainly doing this for their own benefit rather than genuine care for the pyramid.

As someone else referenced, what exactly would 25% mean for clubs like ours ? Devil, or Red Devils, in the detail of course and even then, the detail will be subject to unlimited change by the few that find themselves in absolute control.

Sounds a bit American to me. No coincidence that the owners of both Liverpool and Man Utd are mega rich Americans with other sporting interests in the USA. The concept of promotion/relegation doesn`t lend itself to self-preservation, so I guess there will be a closed shop, consisting of the 18 or so premiership clubs, with no relegation and a locked door on promotion.

The only way that "outside" clubs will get a foothold into the big-time will likely revolve around buying and selling Franchises. So that does really exclude all but those clubs who are able to find someone wealthy enough to either move an organisation from one city to another or buy in to the big league via an expansion system - controlled by the elite who would each take a share of the spoils or "entry fee" .

Money talks, so the elite will probably have their way. Whether it`s truly good for grass roots and good for the likes of GFC is another matter. We can`t stop progress......

I share your doubts and cynicism. Wouldn't trust them as far as I could chuck them. Certainly doing this for their own benefit rather than genuine care for the pyramid.
Of course they are. I dont think they are trying to claim they are doing anything other than this either.

Their suggestions will be driven by things like: fewer clubs in the prem = fewer games in the prem, i.e. more chance to rest before european games (or the cynic might say more chance for international tours).

More control over the strategy of the prem league going forward, due to the increased voting rights of the 'big 9'.

I don think they are trying to pull a fast one. They are probably being quite open they feel they will benefit from this. It's just a matter of working out what negatives other EPL and EFL clubs would incur.

As someone else referenced, what exactly would 25% mean for clubs like ours ? Devil, or Red Devils, in the detail of course and even then, the detail will be subject to unlimited change by the few that find themselves in absolute control.

Sounds a bit American to me. The concept of promotion/relegation doesn`t lend itself to self-preservation, so I guess there will be a closed shop, consisting of the 18 or so premiership clubs, with no relegation and a locked door on promotion.

The only way that "outside" clubs will get a foothold into the big-time will likely revolve around buying and selling Franchises. So that does really exclude all but those clubs who are able to find someone wealthy enough to either move an organisation from one city to another or buy in to the big league via an expansion system - controlled by the elite who would each take a share of the spoils or "entry fee" .

Money talks, so the elite will probably have their way. Whether it`s truly good for grass roots and good for the likes of GFC is another matter. We can`t stop progress......
I dont think they are suggesting getting rid of promotion/relegation at all.

Give it time. Major Sports in the US is very efficient at self-preservation.

Do you know how long it will take? NFL, Major League Baseball and Ice Hockey have all been around in the US for 100 years, do you reckon promotion / relegation in UK football will be abandoned in the next 100 years?

On this subject Martin Samuel in the Daily Mail comes out against this power grab. Ruining any chance of Leicester, Wolves or Everton breaking into the top four, they want to bring in UEFA FFP rules to stop any other clubs getting into the top six. Were this to go through it may work for us short term, but long term it will be the end of competitive club football in this country. Look what has happened in other European countries. Bayern Munich champions of the Bundesliga 14 times this century, Juventus Serie A champions 10 times, PSG ligue 1 champions from 2012 coming second in 2017. For other domestic fans is this boring or what? Liverpool and Man U appear to have initiated this, but Man City being the richest could well be the big winners.

I am less concerned about what the prem does and more concerned about EFL clubs surviving.

Unless another option of cash inflow comes forward we may have little choice but to accept the 250M.

Promotion to the PL must be maintained though. Its that hope that makes the championship one of the best leagues.

Anyone else think the best thing might be to let them do it. We all survive (hopefully) and then the top 6 (or 8 or 10 I don’t really care) eventually just break away to their Euro League and play Barca and Juve 8 times a year to a billion worldwide TV audience. That’ll never get boring 🙄

The rest of us can move on with a 4 league EFL consisting of all the other clubs, from Saints, Villa and Newcastle, down to us and Accy and Port Vale.

I am less concerned about what the prem does and more concerned about EFL clubs surviving.

Unless another option of cash inflow comes forward we may have little choice but to accept the 250M.

Promotion to the PL must be maintained though. Its that hope that makes the championship one of the best leagues.
Its worth noting that L1 and L2 clubs only require £90m of that. The championship clubs account for a further £160m. While their owners are collectively worth over 30 billion.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...pionship-owners-worth-combined-32BILLION.html

Last edited:
It does amuse me somewhat that the PL itself is against it but they started this money machine so can't be surprised the big clubs want to take it further.

I'd not be too bothered if the big clubs buggered off to an invite only European Super League.

The remaining English clubs could just then have one unified league of real football (like back in the day). Sure there are some top teams in the country not in it but I'm sure we'd all have a lot of fun without them.

It does amuse me somewhat that the PL itself is against it but they started this money machine so can't be surprised the big clubs want to take it further.

I'd not be too bothered if the big clubs buggered off to an invite only European Super League.

The remaining English clubs could just then have one unified league of real football (like back in the day). Sure there are some top teams in the country not in it but I'm sure we'd all have a lot of fun without them.
That’s been my stance for years.
Given that the big clubs generally fly to away games of any distance, then it’s a small step from flying to Newcastle to flying to Madrid.

I couldn’t care less if the big six bugger off to a European league.

Football would actually be a far better ‘competition’ without them.

A closed European super league would not be possible under current UEFA rules. As the voting system would include a number of countries that do not have teams able to compete at that level, but will still want a slice of the cake. Leaving UEFA would also mean leaving the FA and FIFA, none of their players or officials would be eligible for any internationals or tournaments. As most players and officials around the world still value representing their country this could make it a non starter. Do UEFA/FIFA have the nerve to try and stop it? As I doubt there will be much money in it for them.

I couldn’t care less if the big six bugger off to a European league.

Football would actually be a far better ‘competition’ without them.

I agree, but with these proposals of 25% of income coming to the EFL, when the so called big boys feck off to the European League, the PL will effectively cease to exist and therefore they'll be no 25% available from that point on.

Ok, we'll at least manage to survive for now, but the long term future of accepting this deal is having funding cut off.

Personally, I think the FA should remove their affiliation to the PL, effectively forcing them into a European League or Super League, (but who would oversee them, UEFA?), bin the Championship name and go back to Divisions 1 to 4.

Basically feck 'em all and let's get back to what football should be, for the fans of proper football not nancys rolling around the floor all the time.

I'd accept the new deal if the "big 6" just f#cked off straight away and formed their Euro/World league or whatever perpetual money orgy they've got their eyes on.

We can then go back to a proper football pyramid.

(just thought, we might end up with an EU 2nd tier in another 10 years when there's a new "top 6" emerged).

Personally, I think the FA should remove their affiliation to the PL, effectively forcing them into a European League or Super League, (but who would oversee them, UEFA?), bin the Championship name and go back to Divisions 1 to 4.

Basically feck 'em all and let's get back to what football should be, for the fans of proper football not nancys rolling around the floor all the time.

Let's take the 250m first though.