New Proposals | Vital Football

New Proposals

jogills

Vital Football Hero
So the Big Six are the first to break cover with proposals for a reorganisation of domestic football. A bit of a curate's egg and quite clear what their real motivation is but it does provide immediate respite for the likes of us. 25% of income to the EFL alongside a withdrawal of parachute payments and an immediate subvention of £250M. Not much to object to for League One & \Two fans there. The down side is that the Big Six plus and a few randome others get to make the rules up and police themselves.

This looks like the first step towards the drawbridge being pulled up and the formation of a European Super League. That would have been a deal breaker for me once upon a time but I just want real football to continue and I've lost interest in what they do further up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499998

So the Big Six are the first to break cover with proposals for a reorganisation of domestic football. A bit of a curate's egg and quite clear what their real motivation is but it does provide immediate respite for the likes of us. 25% of income to the EFL alongside a withdrawal of parachute payments and an immediate subvention of £250M. Not much to object to for League One & \Two fans there. The down side is that the Big Six plus and a few randome others get to make the rules up and police themselves.

This looks like the first step towards the drawbridge being pulled up and the formation of a European Super League. That would have been a deal breaker for me once upon a time but I just want real football to continue and I've lost interest in what they do further up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499998
Just what I was thinking. Short of selling the club to an Arabian multi billionaire, the PL is, realistically, out of reach for us so to survive as a half decent EFL club that flirts with the championship (or whatever it becomes known as) will do fine for me. Its not like we'll be missing something we once had and survival has to be priority for clubs like ours at the moment.

I have said for a very long time that the big six will dump the smaller premier league clubs.This is the first step .It could well lead to all out war at the top of the game especially if the clubs in the premier league are no longer on merit alone.At least they finally seem to be waking up to the fact that parachute payments need to end.While the 25% would be most welcome the power these clubs might have is certainly not.

A European super league seems a logical idea, although one in which I have no interest. Anything which sends a regular flow of money to the lower orders, who hold few cards, would seem a good idea too.

Interesting that two of the three non-top six sides in Southampton and West Ham has bounced in and out of the premier league a few times. What would happen if West Ham got relegated again? Presumably they wouldn't be able to vote on Premier League changes if they found themselves in the Championship at the time.

I guess if they do scrap the EFL Cup (and charity shield to a lesser extent), then maybe teams will start to take the FA Cup more seriously again as it will become harder to win a trophy.

I guess if they do scrap the EFL Cup (and charity shield to a lesser extent), then maybe teams will start to take the FA Cup more seriously again as it will become harder to win a trophy.
Except the likelihood is the top clubs will want to get straight through to the last 16 or 32.

It'd be silly for the small Prem clubs to accept this. They'd basically have no future voting rights from how I read it.

It sums up football at that level but would be good for ours.

It'd be silly for the small Prem clubs to accept this. They'd basically have no future voting rights from how I read it.

It sums up football at that level but would be good for ours.
The answer could be a alliance between EFL clubs and smaller premier league clubs. But the chances are that they will go towards the smell of the money.

How much is 25%?. And how much do we get now? And presumably most money will go to the Championship anyway.

I think the big boys have pitched it to attract as many as possible from the 72 Chris. They have given up on getting the support of the lesser Premiership clubs. I think jokerman & LockdownLife have identified the interests of the parties. In short I've no illusions about the motives of the movers and I don't support a super league but believe it is coming anyway. If that is the case we should the proposals it in order to survive.

No parachute payments means no security. Meaning promotion will mean the team will no have any chance of competing the gap will widen anyway. But this will totally destroy competition.But as you say Jo we may have no choice in reality.

No parachute payments means no security. Meaning promotion will mean the team will no have any chance of competing the gap will widen anyway. But this will totally destroy competition.But as you say Jo we may have no choice in reality.
Technically the relegated clubs are getting a parachute payment by treating their currently contracted players’ wages put down as the average £1.7k a week.

I see parachute payments as a seeping poison from above inflating salaries through the leagues and working against fair competition. They were introduced to try and help clubs back into the greedy league. I fear that this offer is a one off born of the pandemic and if we turn it down any subsequent offer will be inferior.

A shocking plan .....
....and Sky News fell into the PL's trap by focusing on 25% revenue to the EFL - while passing over the "re-structuring" without any detail.

It turns out:
"The plan calls for the nine clubs with the longest continued presence in the league, which includes the 'big six', to be given "long-term shareholder" status and the ability to make changes with the support of just six of the nine."

Turning political......
(i.e before someone accuses Free-marketeers / Conservatives of supporting anything that free-market capitalism throws up.....)

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport released a statement on Sunday.
"We are surprised and disappointed that at a time of crisis when we have urged the top tiers of professional football to come together and finalise a deal to help lower league clubs,
there appear to be backroom deals being cooked up that would create a closed shop at the very top of the game."

And there's the thing.
We "capitalists" believe there should be rules to stop predatory corporatism - and especially prevent monopolies and "sweetheart deals".

'big six long-term shareholder status and the ability to make changes with the support of just six of the nine." falls foul of genuine competition.

Timing a "gift" of £250 million to the EFL at its worst moment of crisis is cynical in the extreme.
One wonders whether the MSM fans of the PL will expose this - or gloss over it.

Last edited:
The loss of the EFL cup is the biggest positive from it all. It's a nothing cup that neither lower league or premier league clubs care about at all. Yes it's a bit of silverwear, but winning it certainly wont keep you your job as a manager. The fans just dont care about it. It holds no weight. We have lost players to injury during this cup also. I suppose it provides a few extra games that we get income from, but it sounds like 25% of a premiership TV deal might more than make up for this.

The only way of making the FA cup mean more to clubs also is to put a champions league place up for grabs to the winners IMO.

That said, people love to criticise that the FA cup is undervalued, but all the teams in the quarter finals were prem clubs, and the 4 teams in the semi final last year were the 'big clubs' (Man U, Arsenal, Man City, Chelsea). With Liverpool only being knocked out the round before to finalists Chelsea. If that's not big clubs taking it fairly seriously then I don't know what is.

Last edited:
They[parachute payments] were introduced to try and help clubs back into the greedy league.
No they weren't.

They were introduced to allow teams that get newly promoted to actually compete on a more level playing field with clubs already established in the premier league. If you do not have parachute payments, then it makes signing prem level players on prem wages very hard for newly promoted clubs. They do not have any level of certainty of lasting in the prem league for more than 1 season, so it's incredibly risky to offer any sort of long term contract for any player if you're just coming up. All that means is that the teams coming up simply wont even have a chance of signing the decent prem level players needed to compete with the other prem clubs, as the players in question will rightly choose to go to already established clubs who are able to offer much more secure/long term contracts.

If you dont have parachute payments, then you might as well just close off promotion to the premiership, as teams getting promoted will just all get relegated the subsequent season (more so than happens already).

Of all TWO Premier teams to come up with this 'plan' is surely a joke (whilst getting the probable backing on the 'top six') but the problem is they have to get the backing of 14 of 20 Premier teams for it to even be a starter. Will any of them 14 back it, the vocal support so far has been deafening, not. Why would any of the Premier clubs support it if its not in their interests just to help out the EFL clubs?

The figures for the EFL look attractive and look like there's not a lot of negatives, but that gets me suspicious. Since when have any Premier club given a shit about the EFL, and I'm fucked if I believe either of the 'biggest two' are doing this without self interest first.

Parry will be happy if it comes to fruition as its a feather in his cap, but I can't see the lesser teams in the top flight going for it, just as I doubt Turkey's would vote for Christmas.

Last edited: