New Premier League of Europe? | Page 4 | Vital Football

New Premier League of Europe?

Lets not underestimate how dangerous it is for our club and our current ownership. If it goes through in it's current proposal and there is no chance of a club like Villa ever qualifying for European competition, why would a couple of International billionaires stay around when they could buy an alternative club in Europe that does qualify for it?

If this goes ahead there's no reason for there not to be other European competitions. Maybe a revamped Europa League. Maybe the European Cup brought back in its old form, or even the existing Champions League continuing.

Even if there weren't, winning the Premier League is surely a pretty good target for our owners to aim for.

The Champions League was formed under pressure from a few clubs who threatened to set up a separate league. Don't think that pressure now exists. At one time it would have been meaningless to have a PL without certain clubs. Now it would be quite possible. I think UEFA and the FA are in a strong position to protect the game.

If this goes ahead there's no reason for there not to be other European competitions. Maybe a revamped Europa League. Maybe the European Cup brought back in its old form, or even the existing Champions League continuing.

Even if there weren't, winning the Premier League is surely a pretty good target for our owners to aim for.

The Champions League was formed under pressure from a few clubs who threatened to set up a separate league. Don't think that pressure now exists. At one time it would have been meaningless to have a PL without certain clubs. Now it would be quite possible. I think UEFA and the FA are in a strong position to protect the game.
I think you need to know that our owners are not spending hundreds of millions to play in a second tier league.

The rest of the PL should rebel against these wankers and propose a fairer system where revenue is shared more evenly amongst all league clubs. If they don't like it, they can fuck off to the European Super Duper League. Oh, and take Citeh with them.

Last edited:
The PL isn't a second tier league. I've been impressed by the balanced objective view they seem to have of things.
Who has a balanced objective view? The European clubs who want to destroy the Premier league and have a closed shop? Be under no illusion if this goes ahead the Prem will be a second tier.

Let them fuck off and never let them back in, unless they start at the bottom of course. Utterly disgusting that they wanted to take money from other clubs by discontinuing the league cup and reducing the Premier league to 18 just so they can fit in an entire league season of jetting around the world getting battered by Barca, Real and Bayern.

This would mean a guaranteed 60+ games a season for each club involved in this farce so that means bigger squads so raiding "smaller clubs" for talent even more.

Personally I'd expel each team involved from all domestic and UEFA competitions, ban all players playing for those clubs from their national teams and if they ever want back into their national association they must start from the bottom.

Might take a few decades but the same will happen with this new league as has happened with the champions league and Premier league. The richest and most successful will simply want more for themselves till eventually football will just be Real Madrid and Barcelona playing each other in a different city each week. Unless FIFA, UEFA and the FAs get together and put a stop to it.

There's no chance that it will be a set league of teams with no promotions and relegations surely? Half of last seasons champions league semi finalists wouldn't qualify for this new league.
It said there would be no relegation for the first 20 years. I suppose they would be hoping in that time it would become established and accepted as part of the game.

The way to kill this is to say that only one team per City and only two teams per country can enter it.
It will already be restricted by only allowing teams from the top 5 leagues, so they can't really complain or they have to open it up to Hungary Bulgaria etc .

Anyway its just more bollocks, it will never get going if the fans revolt

How does bank funding of £6bn or whatever fit with any version of FFP? It doesn't. As stated by others this is purely a money making exercise.

Initially as a new toy it will no doubt be attractive to many, especially 'plastic fans', but surely over time the true value of proper football and real competition will win the day. Real fans pay and are entertained for and by proper games and the excitement of relegation and proper championships with promotion. These factors and the more down to earth nature of the residual game will out-pull simple monetary rewards given to clubs and players, together with no doubt fresh cringe-worthy marketing ploys.

This is a weak idea on many fronts, given impetus only by the greed of the participating clubs. The true values of 'real' football will win out IMHO and at that stage joining this charge into the unknown may be seen as nothing other than a suicide pill.

A set League with no relegation and promotion and the same clubs playing each other over and over again. Non-starter! This is designed by the big Italian, Spanish and German clubs to remove the financial strength of the Premier League and let them get back to dominating financially at the expense of smaller less powerful clubs. Liverpool and Manchester United are the Tories of the Premier League so they'll be all in favour of letting financial power and competiveness rule the roost.

One of the biggest worries as a football fan is they have proved they can play without any fans in the ground. Just what the Americans love a franchise, just up sticks and move Manchester United to where ever they want, in the world because it's a brand like McDonald's or Coka Cola etc. WE've already seen Man City sort of trying it and Red Bull .

Football as we know it ended a long time ago, my fear is the plastic PlayStation generation love this sort of thing and they outnumber real fans these days

The Champions League has lost a lot of it's draw already in this country - once BT bought it. Who the hell wants to pay for all their dross sports just to get the odd prem game and the CL?

So they can extract the big teams, line it up on PPV and sell it around the World. But grass-root UK fans have sort of moved on already (unless you are in it).

IF we won the first prem league title after a split where say Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Liv and Arse had left - how would we value that victory?
Interesting...

The Champions League has lost a lot of it's draw already in this country - once BT bought it. Who the hell wants to pay for all their dross sports just to get the odd prem game and the CL?

So they can extract the big teams, line it up on PPV and sell it around the World. But grass-root UK fans have sort of moved on already (unless you are in it).

IF we won the first prem league title after a split where say Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Liv and Arse had left - how would we value that victory?
Interesting...

Mate, I was buzzing after we won the playoff final, I'd be doing handstands if we won the league any league, it's what football is all about, not finishing top6

Mate, I was buzzing after we won the playoff final, I'd be doing handstands if we won the league any league, it's what football is all about, not finishing top6

I personally think the way football works means we always see value in it. We have rivalries, want to beat teams with better form and a trophy is a trophy.

"You can only beat what is in front of you"?
If the big teams want to become the Harlem Globetrotters then it's not our fault.
Are some of these teams REAL teams anyway now?
Are we even a real team - once Doug left?

Interesting...
Agree I don’t think the CL is the same draw anymore. It’s always the same teams in the latter rounds, PSG, Barca, Real, Juventus, Bayern add in a couple of English teams and occasionally Atletico, and the group games no one cares about the majority of them. Feel like the novelty of a European league will wear off, certainly in this country although perhaps not so much internationally.

I still think the PL will continue to be one of the top domestic leagues along with maybe the Bundesliga as it is so well supported domestically which can’t be said of many other leagues outside a handful of clubs.

A closed league might work for a few years, but Leicester city winning the league from no where was the best thing to happen for the fans, the entertainment and profile of the league. Leicester will be the name of Netflix series to come and they’ve attracted a new type of Asian fan - those who like the story of under dog winning. They have millions more “social” fans than us, fair play to them.

A closed league ultimately brings none of that excitement, also the rivalries need to get manufactured.

I also don’t understand how even the most armchair Man Ure or Spurz fan would enjoy finishing 12th-14th every season, they become the Burnley of the league.

Man U fans are dropping off domestically, they don’t seem to have the support they used to. Spurs fans used to be up there as some of the best away fans the prem, but they’re become a plastic fan base and getting away tickets is easier.

Point that a few have made, I don’t see spurs as a big club - no bigger than us. They just happen to have reached their peak in recent years whilst we had some of our lowest in history. These things come and go in cycles, which is what they want to prevent.

A closed league might work for a few years, but Leicester city winning the league from no where was the best thing to happen for the fans, the entertainment and profile of the league. Leicester will be the name of Netflix series to come and they’ve attracted a new type of Asian fan - those who like the story of under dog winning. They have millions more “social” fans than us, fair play to them.

A closed league ultimately brings none of that excitement, also the rivalries need to get manufactured.

I also don’t understand how even the most armchair Man Ure or Spurz fan would enjoy finishing 12th-14th every season, they become the Burnley of the league.

Man U fans are dropping off domestically, they don’t seem to have the support they used to. Spurs fans used to be up there as some of the best away fans the prem, but they’re become a plastic fan base and getting away tickets is easier.

Point that a few have made, I don’t see spurs as a big club - no bigger than us. They just happen to have reached their peak in recent years whilst we had some of our lowest in history. These things come and go in cycles, which is what they want to prevent.

They have been saying that there may be 5 places for English teams. So one of the "big 6" won't be in it. Is that Spurs or Arse I wonder?