New Manager | Page 2 | Vital Football

New Manager

Starting to get worried now!
Perhaps the reason for appointing Spike was that nobody else would take the job, and now we are back to the same scenario?
I appreciate taking time to make the right appointment, but this is dragging on far too long. If there isn't an appointment by Friday then I fear Pools will be getting yet another "hope and see managerial appointment" coming out of an U23 setup at a Championship club.

Phil Brown is still available, is a return to his footballing roots on the cards?

Or perhaps Tony Mowbray is going to return to the Vic after having famously led out the Boro onto the hallowed turf?

Frankly nobody, outside of the Club, knows who has or hasn't been considered for the role of manager. Several names have been linked with the post in the media, or by individuals, who have then gone on to seek their fortune elsewhere. However, we've no idea if they were ever in contention for the role at Pools.
I do think that an appointment needs now to be made without further delay as the situation has began to cause discontent amongst the fan base. However, who should be given the job is, at this time just pure conjecture.

Last edited:
Well I think the fan base have a good right to feel discontented. Still no sign of a manager and meanwhile the decent out of contract players are picked up by others. By the time someone is appointed we will be in exactly the same position as last close season: too late to sign anyone decent while our star players move to pastures new. I am discontented.

Paul Hartley has been appointed as manager along with his assistant, Gordon Young, from Cove Rangers.
Seems to be an excellent appointment and I will be giving them ,as a confirmed Poolie, my wholehearted support.

It would appear Raj and the Board have gone the extra mile to get their man.

That'll do for me.

We've got a BOGOF with Hartley bringing his own choice second in command. Presumably either Nelson or Sweeny will be leaving but we need at least one of them to stay for continuity.

Any new manager appointment is a risk at our level but this seems to be the least risky. Not a journeyman that's been round the block several times but with a good pedigree at this sort of level.

Looking forward to loads of Scottish signings and wishing Paul and Gordon all the best.

As with Liddle leaving also they go with thanks for the effort they have put in.
Seems to me that the "decks are being cleared" ahead of Paul Hartley taking charge so that he can put his stamp on the squad and coaching style.

Lets hope the times ahead are exciting. Fingers crossed but have an open mind. Been a Poolie too long to be overly optimistic.