New Manager | Vital Football

New Manager

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
I know Pools have said they are going to take their time, to ensure making the right appointment. But surely they can't afford to let it drift too long.
Though I've been less than impressed with the names, apart from Sweeney, who've been touted as contenders so far!

Andy Woodman seems to be the favourite and he would do for me. He has done wonders at Bromley with a small budget. He has the ability to get the best out of limited players and is tactically astute. He was very positive about Pools when we knocked Bromley out of the play offs. Pete Wild of Halifax might also be a good appointment. He has a similar skill set to Woodman. I also think it wouldn't be a bad idea to give Sweeney the job permanently. We shall see in the fullness of time. I dont think we are "drifting" as yet though a loss to Newport on Friday could damage the anchor chain.

Pools have form in taking the easy, cheap, option of promoting from within. That has usually happened because the incumbent has been sacked and it hasn't always worked out well. We are in a different situation this time with a team that is doing OK and a club that must be relatively attractive to aspiring recruits.
Sweens now has considerable experience working under different managers with varying degrees of success. He knows the club inside out. I think last time he was dropped in it temporary he proved to be fairly successful. Personally I'd be happy to give him the job. Of course there are risks in that but the same with whoever is appointed.
What we don't want is an out-of-work former manager/player with experience at the highest levels. It takes a whole different skill set to do well in the lower reaches with players who are not the best and a limited budget.
Fabritzio Ravanelli ? Please NOOOOOOOOOOO

A definite No to Ravanelli. My only concern with Sweens is that he may not want the job, preferring to follow Challinor to Stockport. He had a very good relationship with our former messiah so I would not be surprised if the move was made within the next couple of months. Hope I am wrong.

Personally would like to see Wild, Woodman and Flynn on the interviewee list.
Sweeney loves the club and it would break a lot of hearts, his primarily if he were the manager, when that love affair comes to an end in the event of poor form, performances etc. resulting in him having to leave the club.
I would imagine he would love the role one day but I’m not sure that day is today.
:red:

I know what you mean about Sweeney Mr 2dogs, but would there ever be a good time for him to step into the permanent manager role? I suspect if not now, when Pools are stable on and off the field, then probably his chance won't come around again.

I feel sure that Raj will take everything into account when making his next appointment, including the cost of any compensation required to release a ma from his existing role.

I doubt we'll ever get to know if Pools got compo for DC moving to Stockport. However, if they did it won't be anything like the, reputed, £4.5million Villa have paid Rangers for Stevie G!

Hopefully, Pools won't have to cough up mega-bucks in compensation for their new manager.

Last edited:
BBC Tees sport say it isn’t him, Bromley say it isn’t him, the Northern echo say it is him. We won’t find out until after their televised game with Stockport, I’m sure Bromley would prefer not to suffer the same fate as pools did when our players found out Challinor was going, particularly on TV.
:red:

I think we can all assume that it won't be Andy Woodman.
Pools are, I think, more likely to go for someone like Mark Sampson who resigned from his role as 1st team coach at Stevenage earlier in the week. Can't see Pools wanting to pay compo for a new manager.

Essentially, I believe tonight's match and Tuesdays replay are Sweeney's opportunity to nail down his credentials for the role permanently. Really hoping that he can do it as I believe he is best placed to keep the show on the road.

Last edited:
It's now a fortnight since DC resigned and no sign of who his successor is likely to be. Trying to guess from Raj's recent Q&A it would seem unlikely to be Sweeney , my guess is that it will be an experienced lower league manager, but who............?

Interesting that Clint Hill wasn't involved last night. Does this mean that a new manager appointment is imminent?

It's confirmed Clint Hill has joined up with DC at Stockport.
Good luck to them both, but as we all know football is fickle and there is no guarantees of promotion in any league, probably more so in the National League.

Stockport have pots of money, loads of players who would be first team regulars at most League 2 and some League 1 sides and have an excellent manager with tons of NL lexperience. The only problem I can forsee is clashes of ego with the players and backroom staff. Also of course, Challinor could easily be tempted away if a bigger club comes calling because as we have seen, contracts mean nowt.

Pools are now taking too long to get a permanent manager in place, IMO.
Though, hopefully, they get more of a bounce from the appointment than Carlisle and Scunthorpe!

I wonder if the recent parting of ways of Curle and Greyson at Oldham and Fleetwood will impact on Pools search for a new manager? ( I'm not suggesting Pools go for either of them)

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree Pools need to get their finger out. All in favour of not being too hasty but this is dragging on too long and the results are getting worse. According to the Mail, the Halifax manager who is the bookies favourite for the Pools job has said he is not interested.