New Manager, or can Rowett turn it around? | Page 2 | Vital Football

New Manager, or can Rowett turn it around?

Rowett to stay or go?

• Total voters
But MA, have you ever really believed Johnson to display the commitment and energy in a Derby shirt that he used to show for Norwich? The same for me is true of Martin since his injury in early 2015, Bryson since his injury just before Wembley 2014, Butterfield and Shackell after their first seasons? Soul destroying for any manager.
Let Morris, or an honest and able ‘deputy’, sort what needs sorting, contracts/finance wise and let the manager get on with the football undistracted...only then, as mac implies, can we judge.

We just don't learn with handing out contracts do we?
Forsyth ,Thorne come back from a really bad injury, now I'm all for sentiment but give them a season to proof themselves before you hand out an extended contract .
Martin ,Bryson another two what the he11 are we doing handing out mega contracts and then farming them out on loan unbelievable .I know it was a different manager then, but the board should take some of the blame.
We have one ageing striker in Nugent and we go and buy another in Jerome but already have one on loan at Burton , what are we thinking !!
We bring in a Premier loanee in Palmer and don't deem him good enough to start a game , who bl@@dy well scouted him I'd like to know
I could go on , big problems loom. I really see a Sunderland type battle next season

We just don't learn with handing out contracts do we?
Forsyth ,Thorne come back from a really bad injury, now I'm all for sentiment but give them a season to proof themselves before you hand out an extended contract .
Martin ,Bryson another two what the he11 are we doing handing out mega contracts and then farming them out on loan unbelievable .I know it was a different manager then, but the board should take some of the blame.
We have one ageing striker in Nugent and we go and buy another in Jerome but already have one on loan at Burton , what are we thinking !!
We bring in a Premier loanee in Palmer and don't deem him good enough to start a game , who bl@@dy well scouted him I'd like to know
I could go on , big problems loom. I really see a Sunderland type battle next season

I’d be surprised if we’re relegation candidates next season eddy, but your points about Forsyth, Thorne, Bryson, Martin and Palmer do illustrate the muddled thought that has got us into this mess. My question is...who’s actually really responsible for such decisions?

Reactions: KFC
Well if it was my money someone was trying to spend on injured players I'd have a say & if my manager wanted to sign someone from the Premier I'd ask if he would be the first name on the team sheet if he came, if the answer was no then he wouldn't come
I have managed teams, professional football is a simple game over complicated by mangers with formations even if they don't suit the players

But MA, have you ever really believed Johnson to display the commitment and energy in a Derby shirt that he used to show for Norwich? The same for me is true of Martin since his injury in early 2015, Bryson since his injury just before Wembley 2014, Butterfield and Shackell after their first seasons? Soul destroying for any manager.
Let Morris, or an honest and able ‘deputy’, sort what needs sorting, contracts/finance wise and let the manager get on with the football undistracted...only then, as mac implies, can we judge.

His yellow cards to appearances ratio this season might point to him showing a tad too much commitment..........

His yellow cards to appearances ratio this season might point to him showing a tad too much commitment..........

Some yellow cards are as much a sign of stupidity and lack of pace or technique as they are of commitment MA. Once you start being outclassed you start picking up bookings...I speak from experience...as (usually) a right back who seemed to be permanently outclassed. ;)

Bradley Johnson is one of our most disappointing signings imo. Could absolutely see the point of signing him...seemed to have all the attributes including valid and successful Premiership experience. I thought we’d signed a talent who had a real physical quality to his game and wouldn’t have been surprised to see him made captain. Unfortunately, imo, although I would still love him to ‘come good’, he’s another who’s now over thirty and has fulfilled a tiny percentage of his potential with us.

The fact that much of this is also true of Wisdom (Pt 2), Shackell (after his first season back), Butterfield, Blackman, Palmer and Lawrence remains the disappointing mystery.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFC
I did say "might" rA ;) . I think the problem with BJ is not so much that he has become slower/more stupid/rash or whatever. It's the same issue as with Lawrence, IMO. Rarely, if ever, played in his right role. Ronnie Webster was as good a right back as there was in the day. Not so hot going forward (although I was present for that scorching header of his v Citeh 1971 -
) but a solid and dependable right back who would have been lost at left half, for instance.

BJ is a left side attacking midfielder who scores a lot entering the box late a la Bryan Robson but not as good. How often have we played him there?

Lawro is an attacking central mid, IMO, and we keep playing him as a winger......

As for the yellow cards, Bobby Charlton got more bookings in his career than I did in mine and I am very proud of the fact that I received a nice round number of them. You can be hard but fair and I like to think that I was. I did foul players occasionally but never, ever did it expressly. If I got done by an opponent I would do my damnedest to get back and have another go at the tackle but not a hair on my head ever dreamt of deliberately tripping a player or pulling him back by his shirt or an arm.

Hmmm, sad to say you won't get into the Vital first XI rA as I too was a right back and, in the Gary Lineker style of play, never got booked. Well OK I could switch to the left, but that foot was usually there to stop me falling over.

That said I agree, our seeming stubborn refusal to play a player in his preferred position seems to bite us in the arse time and time again. I mean, would you buy a Porsche 911 and use it for taking garden waste to the council tip, and then potter on down to Sainsbury's *?

Johnson, Lawrence, Vydra, Weimann, Russell to name a few have been square pegged in recent times. When we go out an try to buy players, do we have any regard for how they will fit in or do we assume that if we just chuck them onto the pitch they will acclimatise to any role?

All of the 5 named above have been tried out wide when not generally widemen - except Johnson who seems to have been tried anywhere but wide in many games. Is this the Derby Way - it looks like it

OK professional footballers should be adaptable but they have preferred roles and are unlikely to put maximum effort in if they feel they should be playing somewhere else.

* or any other grocery retail giant

Hmmm, sad to say you won't get into the Vital first XI rA as I too was a right back and, in the Gary Lineker style of play, never got booked. Well OK I could switch to the left, but that foot was usually there to stop me falling over.

That said I agree, our seeming stubborn refusal to play a player in his preferred position seems to bite us in the arse time and time again. I mean, would you buy a Porsche 911 and use it for taking garden waste to the council tip, and then potter on down to Sainsbury's *?

Johnson, Lawrence, Vydra, Weimann, Russell to name a few have been square pegged in recent times. When we go out an try to buy players, do we have any regard for how they will fit in or do we assume that if we just chuck them onto the pitch they will acclimatise to any role?

All of the 5 named above have been tried out wide when not generally widemen - except Johnson who seems to have been tried anywhere but wide in many games. Is this the Derby Way - it looks like it

OK professional footballers should be adaptable but they have preferred roles and are unlikely to put maximum effort in if they feel they should be playing somewhere else.

* or any other grocery retail giant
Yeah, but I’m versatile as well as vital, aka ‘jack of all trades...master of none’!
Suffice it to say, my finest moment was in an international match, (okay it was a UK - plus one Swiss - Eurocamp X1 v Local Italian X1) when I scored with my left from the right hand corner of the box.
The crowd, there really was one, actually applauded wildly but sadly we lost...5-2 I think...and the Swiss guy wouldn’t come back on after half time because he thought he was going to have a heart attack.
Sadly, again, I’ve probably turned into him now so I’ll pass on selection. There again...if you’re the only competion....when’s the match?

P.S. Blimey, just realised that was twenty five years ago...how did that happen?
P.P.S. You may never have been booked...but I’ve never been banned from a forum!!:lol:

Last edited:
I too was a right back and, in the Gary Lineker style of play, never got booked.

You n me both Rog lad. Since I stopped playing I have donned my ref's kit quite a bit. Given the odd card out when necessary. Passed the FA exeam as part of either my L2 or L3 coaching badge course. KNVB I did the ref's course and passed that exam as well. I stopped for a while as things were getting hectic on the pitches across Holland with at least 1 ref physically assaulted every weekend. When invited to return to reffing I decided to accept the offer but now, I go into both teams' dressing rooms pre match and tell them exactly what I will and won't accept and what will happen if they do something I don't accept. I also let them know that, if they promise not to get anti and verbal at any decisions they think I might get wrong then I will refrain from loudly berating every missed pass, missed tackle, poor positioning, ball through keeper's legs etc etc. I then proceed to act precisely as I said I would and the odd faux pas on my part gets accepted. Job done.

Yeah, but I’m versatile as well as vital, aka ‘jack of all trades...master of none’!
Suffice it to say, my finest moment was in an international match, (okay it was a UK - plus one Swiss - Eurocamp X1 v Local Italian X1) when I scored with my left from the right hand corner of the box.
The crowd, there really was one, actually applauded wildly but sadly we lost...5-2 I think...and the Swiss guy wouldn’t come back on after half time because he thought he was going to have a heart attack.
Sadly, again, I’ve probably turned into him now so I’ll pass on selection. There again...if you’re the only competion....when’s the match?

P.S. Blimey, just realised that was twenty five years ago...how did that happen?
P.P.S. You may never have been booked...but I’ve never been banned from a forum!!:lol:

Its fun being an outkast!

Anyway, following a tip from an insider I tried to register a new account on a new email identity that I created.

I registered the account on the forum and it said that an activation email would be sent by return so that I could post comments. That was some 25 hours ago now, and I still await the activation email so I suspect I will remain a lurker. Sometimes you just know when you are not wanted!!

Perhaps choosing the name DerbyDayDream was an error and saying that I had been referred by Rams4Justice compunded it, but even so.... surely these things are automated?

Latest Rams News