New Director of Football | Vital Football

New Director of Football

ZAKKY

Vital Football Hero
Joe Royle is being lined up by Wigan Athletic to become their new director of football.

The vastly experienced 69-year-old ls expected to work alongside manager Paul Cook to help deliver new signings as Wigan move towards a £22million takeover by Hong Kong-based International Entertainment Corporation.

Royle who has managed Oldham, Everton and Manchester City during a colourful career, left Everton again in December where he was professional development co-ordinator, helping young players from Everton's academy and Under-23 set-up progress to the first team while assisting with scouting and recruitment.

He also helped David Unsworth deliver the Premier League Two title.

Wigan are looking to build on an impressive last season and tied the highly-rated Cook to a new contract despite strong overtures from Ipswich Town.

I hope this doesn’t tie Cookys hands when it comes to decision making.
Also,is Peter Reid still with the club and if so how do you think he and Royle will get on......do you think there might be a clash of personalities/ interest there? As the saying goes....if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it!.......I hope this appointment doesn’t upset the applecart.

The thing with Directors of Football is they can be a fantastic help for a manager as long as they have a good relationship with them. I think Royle and Reid are arleady friends and I can't imagine Cook signed a new deal without discussing and being satisfied with a new director of football coming in and I can't imagine Sharpe allowing Royle to come in if it would upset Cook.

Royles got a lot of experience and contacts and worked in a similar role at Everton, so hopefully he'll bring a lot of useful knowledgeto the club. I imagine one of his main jobs will be improving the youth system asap.

You never know how things turn out in football but personally this isn't something that i'm that worried about. I think it's more an attempt to add extra on top of a winning formula rather than adjust it.