New Contracts | Vital Football

New Contracts

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
It’s been a busy few weeks with new contracts being signed by our young players.
Here are the latest players that have committed to the club -
Rodon until 2022
Fulton until 2021
Grimes until 2022

Last edited:
If I’m not mistaken James, Roberts, and VdH’s contracts run out the end of the season, so I assume there are on going negotiations for these players to be tied down.
Of course contracts do not mean much in present day football, only more money for the parent club in transfer fees, but the prospect of letting them go on a free at the end of the season is unthinkable.
Look at Ki as a prime example, he left for nothing at the end of last season and was snapped up by PL club Newcastle, big mistake by the club, losing out on at least a 5 mill transfer fee.

It was annoying to read about 21 year old Keston Davies who is out on loan at Notts County in League 2.
He’s been there since August and not had a game under Harry Kewell.
Davies skippered Swansea's Under-23s to a league and cup double two seasons ago.
Last season he was out on loan to Yeovil and made only 5 appearances for them before being recalled.
What a waste of a career.

You can add Kyle Naughton to our soon to be out of contract players, he signed for us on 22/1/15.
He will be 30 years old on 11/11/18.

False alarm. Just checked and he signed a 3 year contract extension on 4/7/17 up to 30/6/20

Last edited:
3/8/16 Nathan Dyer signed a new four-year deal that will keep him at the Liberty until 30/6/20. He joined the Swans from Southampton in 2009 and had one year left on his previous contract.
26/1/17 Wayne Routledge signed a new contract at Swansea City until 2019. The winger, 32, could earn a further year depending on the number of appearances he makes for the Swans (is that why we haven’t seen much of him this season?)

Another out of contract end of season -
Luciano Narsingh. Signed 12/1/17. Age: 28. Height: 1,75 m. Nationality: Netherlands/India. Position: Forward - Right Winger. Foot: right. Contract until: 30.06.2019

Let's hope Connor Roberts signs one next. Rumours going around today that talks have stalled but I don't believe a word of them.

So, initial rumours were that Dan James was out of contract end of this season, but it’s come to light that he signed a two-year contract extension last season so he is tied to the Liberty until at least June 2020.
The news feeds are full of Leeds interest in him and that they’ll be bidding for him come the January transfer window.
It’s highly unlikely that the Swans will release him though, with other wingers Narsingh, Dyer and Routledge already earmarked to be off loaded.

Connor Roberts new contract offer is taking a long time to negotiate, could be his agent is asking for too much money. Roberts himself has said he has left everything to his agent whilst he concentrates on his football.
Also concerning is that there is no word on a contract offer for vice captain VdH.

Well he’s finally done it and signed until 2022. VdH next surely, as GP said that there are more talks going on, with a few players coming to the end of their contract next summer.

More culling of the squad as Narsingh, Dyer, and Routledge have been told they can go. Three games all season between them, so it’s not surprising.
The question is are the players brought in by Potter any better.
McKay, Asoro, John, and Dando, have been flops so far and cannot hold down a first team spot, the exception is Celina, whereas the discarded trio are vastly experienced and have not been given a fair chance.
I would offer them new contracts with reduced wages in line with the rest of the squad. How can we adequately replace them with no money in the pot.

Last edited:
A shocking revelation by Newcastle, we sold them Federico Fernandez for only three million pounds!
A top centre back, huge experience as an Argentinian International, many years playing in the PL and in Europe with Napoli, and still only 27 years old.
Are we becoming a joke, the other clubs must be laughing at our clubs mis-management.

Last edited:
Now that Rodon and Roberts have signed new contracts, it’s coincided suddenly with a dramatic loss of form by both players in the last few games.
This seems to be a trend with Swansea players in the past and it’s puzzling me why it happens.

I thought Rodon has been doing alright lately, Roberts however looks like he could do with a rest. McBurnie too but we don't have the depth to allow it

As VdH starts talks on a new contract, I wonder why we’ve left it so late to tie him down when his contract expires the end of the season and subsequently he’s then free to talk to other clubs in January. He is also now in a better position to bargain for a raise if he stays.
The good form of VdH and Rodon has left Carter-Vickers out in the cold all season with four appearances to his name. His loan deal from Spurs was season long but because of his lack of game time Spurs want him to go to Ipswich on loan for the remainder of the season instead.
How things can change in the space of a few weeks. Routledge and Dyer had been told they could go but then last two games they were called up to the first team and both have been a revelation, especially Routledge, and two goals and two wins will maybe persuade GP to change his mind and offer new deals.