New clubs | Vital Football

New clubs

Red Wimp

Vital Football Legend
Apropos of nothing, I noticed the lowest attendances at the opening weekend of the EFL were at Harrogate, Forest Green, Salford & Stevenage. Guess it shows you can pump money in but takes more than that to build up a fanbase.
Slightly surprised at Harrogate as although wasn't there 1st league game must have felt a bit like it as first chance for fans to see them.

Harrogate must be one the smallest places ever to play in the league?
Up there with Rushden?

Hmmm. It wasn’t all that long ago we struggled to pull in 2.5k at home.

And another thing, sub-600 away fans for a ‘top’ League One side, first game of the season after 18 months without crowds, is nowt to shout about.

Harrogate must be one the smallest places ever to play in the league?
Up there with Rushden?

I know some people from Harrogate quite well. They insist on claiming they're from Yorkshire. They get irritated when I say that it's part of Surrey that just got transplanted.

I'm very surprised they get crowds over 1,000 as anyone who follows football there traditionally supports Leeds United (or York City).

That's their biggest problem the clubs around have well established fan bases always going to struggle to get support

My daughter lives in Harrogate, the noise when Leeds got promoted was far more than anything generated when Harrogate did.