New Academy Facility | Vital Football

New Academy Facility

Thats not an extension- it's the new stadium ahead of the DW being sold for development 😉🤣

Thanks for the link. Have I missed something though? I thought we’d bought the facility outright? That article suggests that we are renting it from someone (the council?)

I thought we had alreasy got academy 2 status hence why U18s and U23s playing in higher divisions this season.

Leveraging the public use to help fund it all is a good move all round. Helps club and gives local community access to better facilities.

I thought we had alreasy got academy 2 status hence why U18s and U23s playing in higher divisions this season.

Leveraging the public use to help fund it all is a good move all round. Helps club and gives local community access to better facilities.
Who are the landlords in this?

I thought we owned this. As we booted out Walking football. Does the Rugby have some thing at the soccer dome yet

Seems a bit strange this, at the time we were told by the club that they had bought the facility. They kicked out most of the tenants and converted the building into the Academy. So how is it that there are now questions being asked about its ownership.

I, along with KDZ,was also under the impression that Cat2 status had been granted and we were playing higher rated teams because of that.

Same with the stadium you would have thought we would have got the name changed by now. Old Dave still as hold on us

This might have changed .... I used to like reading the information written by Pies-r-us. I hope he can change his mind and return (The nicer, tolerant Covid-19 exiting Pies-r-us version).

Dave Whelan owned the Soccer Dome and Gym Buildings but not the freehold.
Wigan Council actually own the land . It is part of the Stadium Lease agreement. The publicly available information is accurate up to 31st March 2020

From the sale document

‘‘Non-Stadium Land’’ the part of the land registered at HM Land Registry with
title number GM824601 shown edged and hatched red on the plan attached to the Stadium Lease Heads of Terms, which is currently used as a soccer centre and health club, changing rooms and associated car parking."

The postcode is WN5 0UN and all information can be requested from the Council via Freedom of Information (whatdotheyknow.com is the site to use)

Also the Council do publish Open Data and the lease information is noted in the URL below. Search for WN5 0UN
https://www.wigan.gov.uk/Docs/PDF/Council/Data-Protection-FOI/Open-Data/Land-Building-Assets.pdf

Unless the Council have flogged the land (I don't think that has happened) everything is on a long lease. No former Brighton owners wanted here!!

As well as an Academy, the youngsters in the Wigan area need better facilities.
'Elite' spot has its place but there are far more youngsters in Wigan playing football. As we all know ... Most Wigan prospects tend to have an accent west of Wigan ...........

The FA , I think, could do much better with the Premier League money, but there are at least 2 sites that will benefit (I could be wrong with 2 though)
The state of the public pitches in various areas of Wigan is of variable quality.
Nice slopes, ankle breaking divots, grass when cut left on the pitch, yobs riding their motorbikes on the pitches, dogs allowed to sh1t on the pitches and the sh1tty owners won't pick it up.... I could go on.

Last edited:
An academy category status is determined by different requirements .. EPPP has upto 10 different parts which clubs are judged on .. one being the games programme. Other requirements include facilities, coach to player ratios, educational programs just to name a few. Just because we are playing within a higher standard league doesn’t necessarily mean you have that status

Playing in that division gives us more points towards qualifying for that particular category status.