Never seen this clip before | Vital Football

Never seen this clip before

Remember listening to the live commentary. We played so well that night and to come back with 10 men showed real guts. What was more frustrating was that Thommos first booking was for kicking the ball away. Remember feeling absolutely gutted at the final whistle. Promotion to the second division had been so close thanks to that fantastic run from the new year. There was still an outside chance as Carlisle had to play Chester the following night. But this was a Lincoln and you just knew it wasn’t to be. Think Carlisle cruised to a 3-0 win and took the last promotion spot. Can’t believe that was 38 years ago.

I remember there were some “neutrals” around me. It was a long journey home that night. Where have those 38 years gone, blimey.

We were in the Stand to the side where the camera is here. Loads of Imps in there with us, hard to judge how many were there overall but not the 5k I’ve seen bandied about over the years. My guess was between 2.5-3k, in a crowd of 20k which showed the potential of Fulham back then I suppose, and who went on to compete well at the top end of the old Div 2 with the likes of Gordon Davies, Jeremy Coney and Ray Houghton etc. 😞

If memory serves me correctly, I think I was in one of the stands with the home supporters - along with the Ashtons. Not sure how that came about!? I remember sitting next to some of the locals and exchanging friendly banter during the game with a shake of hands at the end. Was totally gutted though. Also remember Tony Cunningham hitting the post at 1-1. So close!

I could not get there on the night; remember listening to the commentary - on Radio 2 iirk. Totally gutted that night.

The coach I travelled on was quite late getting to the ground. As we approached the ground, already after kick off, the police were sending us away to walk around some side streets and get to the away end. Quite a few went in at the home end.

On the subject of highlights not seen before - I found a video nasty of our 0-6 home capitulation to Barnet in September 1991. I know it's not a game to dwell on, but I was curious to see if our defending was as bad that night as I'd thought !
It's on a Barnet season highlights compilation. The City match is 9:48 into it....

Were there home supporters in the away end that day?

Yes Spartan there were quite a few as I re call . Some of us were chatting to a couple of them whilst queuing to buy a pint from the bar at the top of the terrace .One of them was a decent lad and very amiable he advised us he had seriously under estimated how many Imps were going to be there that night .His mate however was a Gobby Sh1te and got chinned for mouthing off .

Will never forget that day. Three of our coach windows bricked on the way home. I was 16, so moody anyway. Listening for the Chester - Chesterfield result to see if we would go up too, getting the news we wouldn't be. Even more miserable. But it was one hell of a following!

Will never forget that day. Three of our coach windows bricked on the way home. I was 16, so moody anyway. Listening for the Chester - Chesterfield result to see if we would go up too, getting the news we wouldn't be. Even more miserable. But it was one hell of a following!
I think you mean Chester v Carlisle the following night - Carlisle needed a point to overtake us, and won 1-0.

My first Imps season and the closest we've been to the second tier.
Such a shame there's so little footage of our games back then.
What a great side they were.