Never keep us Down v Already Down | Page 9 | Vital Football

Never keep us Down v Already Down

Jones needs to shoulder the blame for that second goal
The free kick is alright in so much as he got it on target but Jones set up his wall poorly just as he did the other week as the shot didn't go over the wall, it was able to be curled round it with relative ease.
Jones should have put another 1 or 2 men in the wall to guard that side of the goal and make it a near impossibility to put the ball round the wall.
Whereas it was such a poor wall the free kick taker knew he just had to put a slight curl on it, get it on target and it was a goal. He didn't need to even put any pace on it.
It was exactly like he did the other week with that free kick.
As I've said all season, fair play for his dedication and everything but at the end of the day he just isn't very good

You're another one fitting the narrative to suit your pre conceived agenda...ball went over the wall by 18 inches not round it, thus rendering your version null and void. Free kick was just excellent..definitely last word from me on the whole subject.

Good! Because you're talking out of your jacksie as per usual!

:LOL:
Hindley has already:
- bowed to your superior knowledge of bullshit
- bowed to your superior knowledge of piss poor responses

As he's declared that he's had his last word on the subject, I think it only right that I should respond on his behalf, and speculate that he'd be happy to:
- bow to your superior knowledge of talking out of your jacksie.

You're welcome.

:innocent:

You're another one fitting the narrative to suit your pre conceived agenda...ball went over the wall by 18 inches not round it, thus rendering your version null and void. Free kick was just excellent..definitely last word from me on the whole subject.

It doesn’t though - it goes round it and not over it. Had it gone over it Jones would probably have been able to react more to it as he would have seen it earlier. As it went round it, he saw it later and was unable to react. The wall was also placed centrally rather than to cover one side

I also don’t have any agenda although whilst I’m at it, I’ve no idea what he was doing for their third goal and he was beaten yet again by a long range effort.
Personally I’d keep him as a back up keeper but I’d make signing a decent 1st choice keeper as my priority this summer if I was Richardson

Any keeper in that situation covers his side with his starting position to force the taker into going over the wall - so he should've knew where it was going and know to be ready to dash across.

If the free kick beats the wall and keeper moves accross but the placement and pace beat him then fair enough he can't do much no problem. But if the strike beats the wall but is more central or not hit with that much pace and the keeper was moving across he gives himself a chance to save it.

You don't know until the strike comes in if it will be unsavable so you have to prepare yourself to get over as far as you can in case it isn't. It appears not for the first time Jones was completely flat footed and didnt show any sign that he was anticipating the strike. If that was a savable free kick it still would've gone in if keeper not ready.

Your first paragraph sums up my point.

JJ positioned himself to cover the far post and centre of the goal but the ball went over or through the wall and into the net near the other post. Not sure if the guys in the wall jumped or whether the ball was hit perfectly and dipped but it was definitely out of reach of the keeper.

Clearly you are not of the same opinion and I am happy to leave it at that.

Your first paragraph sums up my point.

JJ positioned himself to cover the far post and centre of the goal but the ball went over or through the wall and into the net near the other post. Not sure if the guys in the wall jumped or whether the ball was hit perfectly and dipped but it was definitely out of reach of the keeper.

Clearly you are not of the same opinion and I am happy to leave it at that.

I've watched it back and i think it's actually a lot worse than i thought it was at the time.

The wall jumped, it didn't go through them, it wasn't hit with that much power and it didn't even need to curve or dip a lot to go round the wall. I agree with Bongsman about him setting up his wall badly and giving a regular free kick taker like Twine a relatively easy opportunity but i think the biggest thing was we again saw Jones long known inability to deal with shots from outside the box. The ball travelled a fair distance without that much pace, Jones wasn't that far over - for me you've got to make an attempt to save that. If he makes an attempt maybe he still can't get to it, but the fact he was like a statue gives him no chance even if the strike turned out to be bit with less power and even more central - that was the shocking bit to me.

I really hope Jones wont be our number 1 next season, to be honest i don't even want him being our number 2 - it's cost us so many points this season. Nothing against him personally but he isn't reliable.

But as you said we've both made our argument so happy to agree to disagree.

I've watched it back and i think it's actually a lot worse than i thought it was at the time.

The wall jumped, it didn't go through them, it wasn't hit with that much power and it didn't even need to curve or dip a lot to go round the wall. I agree with Bongsman about him setting up his wall badly and giving a regular free kick taker like Twine a relatively easy opportunity but i think the biggest thing was we again saw Jones long known inability to deal with shots from outside the box. The ball travelled a fair distance without that much pace, Jones wasn't that far over - for me you've got to make an attempt to save that. If he makes an attempt maybe he still can't get to it, but the fact he was like a statue gives him no chance even if the strike turned out to be bit with less power and even more central - that was the shocking bit to me.

I really hope Jones wont be our number 1 next season, to be honest i don't even want him being our number 2 - it's cost us so many points this season. Nothing against him personally but he isn't reliable.

But as you said we've both made our argument so happy to agree to disagree.

As an aside, if you think JJ was poor, have a look at the free kick scored by Rochdale against MK Dons on Sunday.

Just about sums up the standard of keeping in L1

Last edited:
Former Liverpool and England striker Robbie Fowler is in talks with Swindon Town to be their next manager, BBC Radio Wiltshire understands.

Fowler, 46, is manager of East Bengal in the Indian Super League, where he was appointed last year.

We can confirm that Curtis Tilt's red card from last weekend has been overturned on appeal.
1f449_1f3fc.png
https://wiganathletic.com/.../Curtis-Tilt-s-red-card.../

Just think ...... under different circumstances (ie those where we actually had to get something out of the Swindon game) we could have lost our place in the league through one of the worst decisions ever made.

Quite worrying really. There'd have been no right of appeal. No overturning of the result. Just relegation, with a massive - and justified - grudge.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2021/may/Curtis-Tilt-s-red-card-overturned/

You can't help but wonder if that means Tilt is coming back here next season. If he isn't and it turns out we play Rotherham first match we'll have pissed on our own chips.