National League | Page 2 | Vital Football

National League

So if Lincoln finished 3rd , went into the plays offs , and lost to a 93 minute dubious penalty you wouldn't complain?? Sorry I mean moan. Many on here would lol
I noticed that all the teams who finished 1 place from automatics went up this season via the playoffs! Wonder how often that actually happens.

So if Lincoln finished 3rd , went into the plays offs , and lost to a 93 minute dubious penalty to a team that finished 5th you wouldn't complain?? Sorry I mean moan. Many on here would lol

You're pissed off about a penalty decision. People get pissed off about a lot of things in football. But that's football, it's not exclusive to playoffs. You'd be equally pissed off if you were third from bottom with a game to go and some dimwit police dog bit a player, adding time onto a game in which a goal was scored that sent you down.

That's football. You enter a competition and you play to its format and at the end of the season, there you are, with all the decisions for/against and luck good or bad.

I see no reason why playoffs should be stopped because one of the things that happens in football happens. If that's the case, we should just cancel football.

Last edited:
You're pissed off about a penalty decision. People get pissed off about a lot of things in football. But that's football, it's not exclusive to playoffs. You'd be equally pissed off if you were third from bottom with a game to go and some dimwit police dog bit a player, adding time onto a game in which a goal was scored that sent you down.

That's football. You enter a competition and you play to its format and at the end of the season, there you are, with all the decisions for/against and luck good or bad.

I see no reason why playoffs should be stopped because one of the things that happens in football happens. If that's the case, we should just cancel football.

Talk about an over reaction . But I agree with cancel football lol

We are all going to have our opinions on the playoffs. Personally, I hate them, they are though the current rules and no amount of moaning from me is going to change it. The NL do take the piss however the team 6 places and 15 points behind the automatic spot should not still be in with a chance in the lottery.

Just go five up and five down from every division including non-league. That would take out most meaningless games without the need for playoffs.
Plus a play-off for the 6th promotion spot🤣

Don't like the concept myself. Not for a dodgy decision possibly killing a promotion in a single game, more that 46 games encompasses enough variables and time. Finish the season with more points than another team should be it!
However, as already said, everyone knows the rules in August so it is what it is. Nobody can deny that it leads to more meaningful games at the seasons end, and a lot less dead rubbers.

Who ever wins the National League Play off on 20/06/2021 will only have to wait 4 days to find out their fixtures for next season.
On the negative side, the late finish to their season puts the promoted club at a disadvantage as far as squad building is concerned: they will be promoted just as every other League Two club returns for pre-season training, they will have next to no time to prepare for pre-season friendlies, only seven weeks before the season proper begins, and only ten weeks before the transfer window closes. A lot of their targets will have been snapped up by the time they know which of their twin budgets they can use. Added to which, their players will be tired after playing until almost the end of June and will have little recovery time. I'm sure they won't be complaining too much, though.

On the negative side, the late finish to their season puts the promoted club at a disadvantage as far as squad building is concerned: they will be promoted just as every other League Two club returns for pre-season training, they will have next to no time to prepare for pre-season friendlies, only seven weeks before the season proper begins, and only ten weeks before the transfer window closes. A lot of their targets will have been snapped up by the time they know which of their twin budgets they can use. Added to which, their players will be tired after playing until almost the end of June and will have little recovery time. I'm sure they won't be complaining too much, though.

Whilst this is very true, they didn't start their season until the beginning of October and only played 42 league matches.

Whilst this is very true, they didn't start their season until the beginning of October and only played 42 league matches.

Still think players should have a month off like anyone else. If the play off winners have four weeks off, they then have three weeks for pre-season/friendlies.
This may be achievable, refreshing the squad for a new league and new budget is a tough ask though in seven weeks (and when the rest of the league has had a month head start in the transfer market).
I guess the National League gambled a bit on getting crowds in October 2020, but will be very tough for someone.

Not sure about the EFL, but in the PL it's written into players contracts (as a law I think rather than the players insisting on it) that they must have at least two weeks off between the end of one season and the start of pre-season.