Napier Barracks, Folkestone | Vital Football

Napier Barracks, Folkestone

You highlight an appalling situation but it is worth pointing out a problem that exits in this country this very month and that is the report by Shelter which claims that 250,000 people including 130,000 children are homeless and living in temporary accommodation, with 1,400 families in b and b.
Those arriving from overseas and seeking asylum are probable deemed to be at the end of the queue when it comes to accommodation, the councils must be pulling their hair out trying to find every suitable places to put families who have fallen on hard times.
With unemployment expected to rise this year due to the pandemic, the high streets becoming ghost like I find it hard to imagine how things will improve for those who have lost their homes.
There has to be a huge effort to get social housing and affordable housing to gather pace, otherwise we will have to get used to seeing tents in parks and recreation areas.

You highlight an appalling situation but it is worth pointing out a problem that exits in this country this very month and that is the report by Shelter which claims that 250,000 people including 130,000 children are homeless and living in temporary accommodation, with 1,400 families in b and b.
Those arriving from overseas and seeking asylum are probable deemed to be at the end of the queue when it comes to accommodation, the councils must be pulling their hair out trying to find every suitable places to put families who have fallen on hard times.
With unemployment expected to rise this year due to the pandemic, the high streets becoming ghost like I find it hard to imagine how things will improve for those who have lost their homes.
There has to be a huge effort to get social housing and affordable housing to gather pace, otherwise we will have to get used to seeing tents in parks and recreation areas.

Good post, whitstable. You also highlight an appalling situation. And one that may get worse for a reason other than those you mention.

There's another thread ('They're gonna make me a criminal') that I started about the government's intention to criminalise trespass. If they succeed the homeless problem you talk about will become even more acute because pitching a tent in a park, a recreation ground, or pretty much any place, will be a criminal offence.

People on the margins of society, whether they be homeless people, asylum seekers or whoever, these people need our care and our support. Because it's clear as day that they aint getting any from anywhere else.

Can anybody offer these young men a place to live? It sounds like they were expecting more than what they've got

According to Kentonline, there was a demo at Napier Barracks yesterday involving a number of activists dressed in white boiler suits who threw fake blood at the gates of the premises in protest over the conditions.

The anonymous group of human right activists were demanding that the barracks should be closed.

What a coincidence that a big fire breaks out there today ! It could even lead to the barracks being closed :eek: That`s spooky, an amazing coincidence... Hope that no-one is hurt.

According to Kentonline, there was a demo at Napier Barracks yesterday involving a number of activists dressed in white boiler suits who threw fake blood at the gates of the premises in protest over the conditions.

The anonymous group of human right activists were demanding that the barracks should be closed.

What a coincidence that a big fire breaks out there today ! It could even lead to the barracks being closed :eek: That`s spooky, an amazing coincidence... Hope that no-one is hurt.

Wrong to speculate but perhaps another example of direct action succeeding where appeals to government have failed.

This situation has been brewing. And could have been avoided if these desperate people had been treated as human beings rather than as subhuman.

I also hope nobody is hurt

Wrong to speculate but perhaps another example of direct action succeeding where appeals to government have failed.

This situation has been brewing. And could have been avoided if these desperate people had been treated as human beings rather than as subhuman.

I also hope nobody is hurt

Bud, I was simply referencing a noteworthy, albeit amazing, coincidence. :hmmm: