Name The OLD Ground: No.4 | Vital Football

Name The OLD Ground: No.4

The answer is Central Avenue, the home of Worksop Town between 1901 and 1988.

City played one competitive match there - a 4-0 win in the FA Cup soon after Worksop moved to the ground - and a couple of friendlies.

City played one competitive match there - a 4-0 win in the FA Cup soon after Worksop moved to the ground - and a couple of friendlies.

Of course, City Res played several games there in Midland League days, presumably until the formation of the North Regional League in 1958. The latter actually appears in the 1958-9 season ticket as the Combined Counties League.

The Reserves played in the Midland League for a couple of seasons in the mid-1960s.

In the days when reserve games were played on Saturdays my father and I would sometimes go along and one of the games I remember seeing was actually against Worksop on the opening day of the 1965/66 season. It's stuck in my mind because normal tough-tackling right back Alf Jones played centre forward and scored a couple of goals in a 5-4 win.

2020-05-29_152634.jpg

Another Worksop story I’d love to share: many years ago I lived on one of the streets on monks rd near the college/cattle market.
Anyways, one corner shop known as Stubbs and Chappell but affectionately known by all who used it as Stubbsys was a popular stop off for us young City fans. 8 black jacks for an old penny.
After many enjoyable chats over the years with Mr Stubbs, he opened up a bit and told us Mr Stubbs was dead and he was Mr Chappell. Lovely bloke.
Then he told us that he had played for Worksop Town sometime in the distant past.
He must have played in the 1920s or 1930s?
Long gone now

Leagues that Imps Reserves played in ...

1947-58 Midland Counties League
1958-9 Combined Counties League
1959-64 North Regional League*
1965-6 Midland Counties League
1966-7 Midland League
1967-75 North Midlands League**
1975-6 Northern Intermediate League

* The NRL was Wednesdays ... Saturday games were played in the Lincs League Prem Division
** In some seasons of early 1970s, matches were played in both NML (24 games) and NIL (32 games) as an example in 1974-5.

The Midland Counties League and the Midland League were of course one and the same.

The Northern Intermediate League was a competition for youth teams (not sure of the age limit). City didn't have a reserve side in the 1975/76 season.

I can only answer for the 1963/64 and 1964/65 seasons, but the North Regional League games were usually played on Saturdays at the same time as the first team were in action. In fact, during the Con Moulson era my father and I would go along and see the reserves because at least we would see a win! Gloomy announcements of the latest score from the first team's match would be made at intervals over the loudspeakers.

The Lincolnshire League Premier Division, as can be seen from this programme page only had six teams in it, and was usually played midweek.

2020-05-29_172525.jpg

Leagues that Imps Reserves played in ...

1947-58 Midland Counties League
1958-9 Combined Counties League
1959-64 North Regional League*
1965-6 Midland Counties League
1966-7 Midland League
1967-75 North Midlands League**
1975-6 Northern Intermediate League

* The NRL was Wednesdays ... Saturday games were played in the Lincs League Prem Division
** In some seasons of early 1970s, matches were played in both NML (24 games) and NIL (32 games) as an example in 1974-5.

Wasn’t the Northern Intermediate League the Youth Team rather than Reserves?