Name The OLD Ground: No.1 | Vital Football

Name The OLD Ground: No.1

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Here's a series for the... ahem... older supporter. Most have been redeveloped, but some no longer exist.

NTG03.jpg

As suggested earlier I think it could well be Gresty Road. Those who go around spotting radio masts etc probably graduate from floodlight pylons. Similar structures through/on the roof such as those at Moreton are always more pleasing than the aesthetics of Bolton, Huddersfield, Fylde etc or modern fairy lights along the entire length of a stand's guttering.

Yes, went the during the 75/76 season when peter graham scores a Hatrick.
Went by train with my usual City mates. But on masse they got off the train at derby to watch Leeds.
Got to gresty and bumped into a few city fans who’d travelled on the supporters coach.
Initially stood in the covered home terrace. Which was about five steps in total with railway sleepers acting as the flooring for the steps.
There were a few grounds like that. The big open terrace at meadow lane had old railway sleepers.

Gresty Road, Crewe. The stand in the picture was replaced in 1995.
No mate, the away Stand down the length of the pitch replaced that shallow terrace ... the big Stand replaced the old wooden Stand that the Eagle bus load went in when Imps won 2-1 with a last minute winner by Paul Smith after Carmichael had equalised.

No mate, the away Stand down the length of the pitch replaced that shallow terrace ... the big Stand replaced the old wooden Stand that the Eagle bus load went in when Imps won 2-1 with a last minute winner by Paul Smith after Carmichael had equalised.

Ah, you're right of course. My excuse is I've only been there once since they built all the new stands.

Re my earlier comment about radio aerial fanatics graduating from football floodlight pylon spotting, here is a ground that covers both bases.

vital000.jpg