Music - Home recording | Vital Football

Music - Home recording

Stephen Jay Hawkings

Vital Football Legend
Does anyone here dabble in writing and recording music at home via computer software?

I've been working on my set-up for quite a while, mostly for recording guitar and bass, and using a great drum sampler. A friend of mine has almost perfected it to the point where his stuff sounds like it has been recorded in a studio, mixed, mastered and everything.

The whole point of this is to cut out the middle man (recording studio costs) and put out quality DIY music, and because of great new software it seems to be gathering momentum.

It does however present a whole bunch of problems, so it's always good to talk to other people and troubleshoot.

lol what are the problems mate? Software or hardware?

I don't flat out, that sort of pissing around is long behind me but I might babble something that sparks a thought you can chase down?

lol, you should have just left it at "No" and watch this thread fade into obscurity!

But the problem at the moment is bloody Windows 10. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface (first generation) that worked fine until Windows 10 came along and now it's not compatible. There was drivers released for the 2nd generation but not the first. Stupid. It's only a couple of years old.

I did however come across a video in the last half hour saying the 2nd gen drivers will work with the first gen, although it says not to do that on the Focusrite site. I might try it anyway but it could be more trouble.

The other option is to go back to Windows 7 (where everything worked fine) or maybe do a dual boot and have both 7 and 10 running, but that will be a nightmare as it took months to set all the software etc. up.

Any of this make sense? lol.

I try and be helpful and on that note I'm off!

They carry their own risks but have looked at hacked versions or even a much slower secondary comp that would tick that box were my first thoughts.

Tubbz might be helpful on that front, and Heath/Wurz? for running two windows setups in partitions are my first thoughts.

I don't know what focusrite is, you're talking to somebody who only ever used coolpro if you've even heard of that?

It is the kind of thing a site would say though if it takes them away from an extra payda - but again the risk is it works for somebody who claims it works, yet it fucks up thousands of others who try.

Could you back up what you have, so you don't lose anything but time. Then try knowing you can safe restore potentially if it goes tits up?

To be honest mate, everything I have is hacked! I have certain plugins etc. that cost upwards of 500 quid (Orchestras, synths etc.). I could use the freeware stuff but it's naff compared to the stuff you "pay" for.

The Focusrite is hardware, a little box in which you can plug in instruments, mics etc. and is goes into the computer via USB. I looked up Coolpro, similar to the DAW I use which is Reaper which is actually free to use, but you can pay around 60 quid for a full version where you get support etc. maybe worth paying for eventually because it is brilliant, but you know me, I'm a student now and broke!

Interesting what you said about the site, that does seem odd. I've looked through the comments under the video and it's mostly positive regarding using the 2nd gen drivers so that might be the first thing I try.

The "nightmare" I referred to regarding having to install everything again, comes from the fact that most of the software is hacked and requires keys etc. I've started from scratch on around 3 occasions for various reasons and it has been hit and miss re-installing stuff but that's what I get for being a thieving bastard I suppose.

Thanks for the input dude, it was helpful! If I can get those drivers to work, I should be in the clear

Guessed there would be free and hacked versions out there to get you up and running as I know there are now with coding programmes and even adobe etc suites.

Try and full back up and save what you can then maybe try the drivers knowing it might cock up then?

I'm not seeing an easier route through?

Maybe Heath or Wurz would better know a way to fully back up, keys and passwords included to make life easier if it does go wrong?

Yeah, I'll make sure to backup everything before trying the new drivers, just in case!

Haven't downloaded them yet, might see if I have time tomorrow to try it out. Fingers crossed it works without any hitches.

Cheers Mike, you're babble has been effective!