Moussa Sissoko - Player Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

Moussa Sissoko - Player Thread

Sissoko better than Dembele? This is one of the most hysterical things I read on these forums.

Those who could not acknowledge what he brought to the team when he was around are now crowning Sissoko as a better player, unbelievable.

The guy was a graceful work horse, it is evident enough that we miss him, and in his best years we were a worse team without him. In fact, in one of our best seasons our only defeats came when he wasn't on the pitch.

He destroyed the best CMs in the PL, created space for everyone around him and made our entire team better by simply steppng onto the pitch.

Some people don't have a clue Pollo. Every spurs player and Poch himself said Dembele is the best player they have ever played/trained with.

Like King, at 70% he was better than all the rest. That is how good he was. We will never replace him. He was a one off. Just like King was.

Some people don't have a clue Pollo. Every spurs player and Poch himself said Dembele is the best player they have ever played/trained with.

Like King, at 70% he was better than all the rest. That is how good he was. We will never replace him. He was a one off. Just like King was.
Whoever wrote “ you don’t miss your water till the well runs dry “ has a lot to answer for .
Don’t think I ever heard him do an interview either , never craved for the plaudits his skill sets deserved .
He came , he did his job , brilliantly , and he went . No fanfares , no marching bands or razzamatazz. Not even a thread on here. Awesome .

Last edited:
I just think you're not acknowledging the value of having a guy who never lost the ball no matter how tight a space he was in. It might not have directly impacted in an obvious way, but indirectly will have given us an out ball, given confidence to our defence - and saved numerous dodgy passes from becoming half chances for the opposition.

I look at it another way, when the multitude here moaned about our slow, ponderous build up and play, (but never understood or tried to undertstand why) moreoften than not, for me, he was the biggest culprit and it used to drive me and my mates around me utterly nuts - if ever there was a wasted talent that was caused by an inability to be positive, it was his.

I look at it another way, when the multitude here moaned about our slow, ponderous build up and play, (but never understood or tried to undertstand why) moreoften than not, for me, he was the biggest culprit and it used to drive me and my mates around me utterly nuts - if ever there was a wasted talent that was caused by an inability to be positive, it was his.

At his peak, that was his strength though. He was the one that took the ball in his own third and transitioned it into the final third. That's because he started out his career further up and worked his way back into the centre mid role so had those attributes. That being said, in his last year or 18 months he only had a couple of spells when he was really doing that. I think we made the right choice cashing in at the right time based on age and injuries catching up and him losing that ability to run forwards with the ball.

I'll remember Dembele for his greatness over a long career, not the last bit. Shame we could have never tucked him and Sissoko left and right of a fully fit Wanyama in a 4-3-3 system. Sissoko doing it his swashbuckling way and Dembele doing it his cultured way would have been interesting to watch.

Just hope Sissoko's groin strain isn't too bad and we get him back for these next set of fixtures.

I don't disagree with that, but I think he was more useful to our play than you give credit. I don't think it's coincidence that we look more likely to leak goals now he's gone, but also possibly look more fluid at times without him too.

IMO he was a key part of the team when our defence was a wall. And in that structure he was invaluable. As things changed more and more to be centred around Harry Kane, tilted more toward an offensive mindset, his style didn't contribute as much.

We don't have a manager that is an offensive genius so we have deteriorated slightly since the move away from that defensive base style that Dembele excelled at.

In short, Dembele didn't suit what we had evolved to.

Louis Saha stated ( although possibly biased ) that Sissoko is like a machine and there is no other player in the PL like him. Meaning his energy, power and drive.

Louis Saha stated ( although possibly biased ) that Sissoko is like a machine and there is no other player in the PL like him. Meaning his energy, power and drive.

If only he could add composure and decision making the last third, he'd be a #100 mill player and would put Pogba in the shade..

Many times we have passed judgement on Moussa's limitations. He took on his RB role and pretty much did the job. So what attributes does he have that perhaps we have overlooked ?
If he is compared to KWP for example he obviously has a height and strength advantage, pace over a longer distance , reading the game maybe ? He probably doesn't cross so well.

Don't actually think his crossing is that bad, yesterday didn't show that (as with 10 men we didn't push up and get players in the box much) but when he's been at RB before he's fired a few good balls from wide. If he knows his job is get to the byline and hit it across the box he's effective, it's when he's more central and has to pass it through traffic he struggles.