Mousa Dembele | Page 3 | Vital Football

Mousa Dembele

Not entirely sure why Dembele is being cited as a player that could leave. He was always said to be lacking in energy in the last 10 minutes or so, which may have been true but his performance has been great lately, even later on in the game and I can't fault his game at present, there are few that can match him.

I for one would like to see him enjoy playing at the new stadium as reward for his great play for us (Ok I wouldn't put that as a reason for keeping a player) but if he's still putting in the hours at his best, why get rid of him. Besides there's the loyalty thing. We shouldn't let players leave for no reason. Having players around that keep the ball like Dembele does is very comforting and there's not just the ability he has that is good during a game but there's also the influence and teaching he can impart to the rest of the team by simply watching him in action.

I say keep him as long as we can and as long as he's good as a player. Once we start losing impetus if a player is starting to flag, then Ok replace him but lets not let our team down by putting in a lesser player.

Welshtel - 1/4/2018 14:54

Not entirely sure why Dembele is being cited as a player that could leave. He was always said to be lacking in energy in the last 10 minutes or so, which may have been true but his performance has been great lately, even later on in the game and I can't fault his game at present, there are few that can match him.

I for one would like to see him enjoy playing at the new stadium as reward for his great play for us (Ok I wouldn't put that as a reason for keeping a player) but if he's still putting in the hours at his best, why get rid of him. Besides there's the loyalty thing. We shouldn't let players leave for no reason. Having players around that keep the ball like Dembele does is very comforting and there's not just the ability he has that is good during a game but there's also the influence and teaching he can impart to the rest of the team by simply watching him in action.

I say keep him as long as we can and as long as he's good as a player. Once we start losing impetus if a player is starting to flag, then Ok replace him but lets not let our team down by putting in a lesser player.

Like Zlatan, end of career money spinning moves that may make for a massive end of career pay-off that will also affect a players pension rights/tax charges etc look large and play a big part in these decisions.

Sometimes, the financial advantages of these end of career moves are so vast they cannot be ignored by the player, his family or his representatives and their current club simply aren't willing to take the gamble that these crazier regional clubs will.

No one except the MLS or China would give him a new 4 year deal, but that's what it is said his agents are looking for.

Spursex - 2/4/2018 12:44

Welshtel - 1/4/2018 14:54

Like Zlatan, end of career money spinning moves that may make for a massive end of career pay-off that will also affect a players pension rights/tax charges etc look large and play a big part in these decisions.

Sometimes, the financial advantages of these end of career moves are so vast they cannot be ignored by the player, his family or his representatives and their current club simply aren't willing to take the gamble that these crazier regional clubs will.

No one except the MLS or China would give him a new 4 year deal, but that's what it is said his agents are looking for.

If he joins TFC I will get seasons tickets.

And the more I think about it the more I think if we win the FA Cup and qualify for CL he just MIGHT stay.

Winning creates that euphoria where decisions are made with the heart vs financially driven. So.................

If he can get a huge financial package he should probably go. If he wants 4 years can he maintain his performance at the current level until he is 34 ? He has fitness issues which are being managed, how long can he keep that under control ?

I would sign his potential replacement this summer as a contingency to cover for him leaving or being crocked.

His fitness levels and injury problems seem to be behind him from what I have seen......and the number of games he has played.

80deg16minW - 2/4/2018 16:46

His fitness levels and injury problems seem to be behind him from what I have seen......and the number of games he has played.

He's fragile, although he does appear finally to have been able to concentrate on fitness and leave his hip upper hammy and ankle mechanics issues behind after last summers ops.

Who knows what he could achieve if he manages to get in a full pre-season conditioning for the first time in 5 years next pre-season?

He wasn't at his best although someone said when he is on song so are we !!! He enforced the MF though as did Dier which was important . Dier, Alli, Eriksen, Lamela and Verts were on it which was enough.

Nick Real Deal - 2/4/2018 23:01

He wasn't at his best although someone said when he is on song so are we !!! He enforced the MF though as did Dier which was important . Dier, Alli, Eriksen, Lamela and Verts were on it which was enough.

So was Sanchez Nick . This guy is going to be one of the best

Walthamstow wanderer - 2/4/2018 23:56

Nick Real Deal - 2/4/2018 23:01

So was Sanchez Nick . This guy is going to be one of the best

I saw a stat yesterday that said Sanchez made the fewest tackles but the most interceptions, which shows his reading of the game is very good for a young CB.

Yes I agree he is going to be some player. Technically not great, he has kind of sliced clearances or air kicked a few times. He hasn't quite got the cool head yet but that will come especially working with Vert.

telegraph confirm we are going to offer a new deal, but also as we know his side do not want to discuss anything until season is over - sounds like he will be weighing his options...

Mousa Dembele's desire to extend Spurs stay by three years could scupper contract talks

TELEMMGLPICT000159229215_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqUdpOC9bYgtt5lYSWGPsSUpUZHdSKL0ReEgurepYFQIE.jpeg
Mousa Dembele knows this will be his last big contract Credit: reuters

4 April 2018 • 9:00pm
Mousa Dembele’s preference for a three-year extension to his contract threatens to further complicate Tottenham Hotspur’s desire to find an agreement with the Belgian midfielder.
Dembele cast doubt on his Spurs future by revealing he will not discuss extending his current deal until after the World Cup and leaving open the possibility that this could be his final campaign at the club.
The 30-year-old’s contract will only have 12 months remaining at the end of this season and manager Mauricio Pochettino is desperate to keep the man he has hailed “a genius.”
But Dembele realises this is likely to be his last big contract and wants a minimum three-year extension, taking him to 2022, when he will turn 35 in July.
Given Dembele’s injury record, it would represent a big risk for Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy to agree to a pay increase that would effectively run for four more years from this summer.
But Spurs are also aware that Dembele has interest from Europe, and in particular Italy, following his superb Champions League performance against Juventus in Turin.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...-extend-spurs-stay-three-years-could-scupper/

Dembele is thought to earn in the region of £80,000-a-week, having signed his current Tottenham contract in January 2016, and is likely to seek an increase to around £100,000-a-week.

Unlike some of their rivals, Tottenham do not have any rules on only offering one-year extensions to players aged 30 or over – largely because they only have four players in that category – Dembele, Hugo Lloris, Jan Vertonghen and Fernando Llorente.

While Llorente will be allowed to leave for the right price in the summer, Lloris and Vertonghen are expected to sign new long-term Tottenham contracts in the coming months, along with Pochettino, Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Christian Eriksen and Heung-min Son.

Dembele has also made it clear that he is currently happy at Tottenham and his situation is viewed differently to that of Toby Alderweireld, who is almost certain to leave the club at the end of the season.

Toby Alderweireld is expected to leave Spurs in the summer Credit: Getty images

Alderweireld’s contract talks have completely stalled and he has since lost his place in manager Mauricio Pochettino’s team – due in part to a hamstring injury.

But Alderweireld was fit for selection for the victory over Chelsea, only for Pochettino to decide the 29-year-old was not in good enough form to be part of his squad.

Paris Saint-Germain are currently the favourites to sign Alderweireld for around £40million, although Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona are also following his situation.

With Alderweireld set to go, Spurs are one of a number of clubs interested in Jonny Evans, who will be available for just £3m when West Browmich Albion are relegated. They are also tracking Ajax 18-year-old Matthijs de Ligt and Newcastle United’s Jamaal Lascelles.

Tottenham want Fulham youngster Ryan Sessegnon and will be in the market for a central midfielder, regardless of what happens over Dembele’s future. Atalanta’s Bryan Cristante is one midfielder on their radar.

I don't think Dembele is the sort to rob a living... If his injuries and form drop to the point he can't contribute to our team I'm sure he'd ask to leave or retire. I say we give him the extension, replacing him will cost us a fortune and will most likely result in a less useful player.

De Ligt will probably cost as much as Toby will make us (50m+) but he's got a better rep than Sanchez did. We haven't gone wrong with an Ajax signing yet.

Also we've been linked to Jonathan Tah. I'd still rather Toby stayed but the nature of our set up is that sometimes people will leave and other times they'll get old. We'll always need to replace some.

I don't think Dembele is the sort to rob a living... If his injuries and form drop to the point he can't contribute to our team I'm sure he'd ask to leave or retire. I say we give him the extension, replacing him will cost us a fortune and will most likely result in a less useful player.

De Ligt will probably cost as much as Toby will make us (50m+) but he's got a better rep than Sanchez did. We haven't gone wrong with an Ajax signing yet.

Also we've been linked to Jonathan Tah. I'd still rather Toby stayed but the nature of our set up is that sometimes people will leave and other times they'll get old. We'll always need to replace some.

That setup keeps the team fresh as well.

Don't think offering Mousa the extension he wants is a risk at all. The medical/training staff seem to have found a way to manage his issues. He would also be reluctant to leave the expertise and support to keep him going behind.

Don't think offering Mousa the extension he wants is a risk at all. The medical/training staff seem to have found a way to manage his issues. He would also be reluctant to leave the expertise and support to keep him going behind.

One of the big considerations that the club will also have to take into account is his NPV as opposed to his FSV and who/how much we will spend on his replacement - If it is Gomes from Barca (who increasingly looks like has made a mistake staying at Barca this season) then funding that deal will be a big part of whether we do or do not offer Dembo the deal his agent is asking for.