Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skipp

• Gil

• Sanchez

• Total voters
Top defenders don't make many. Rio when he first joined United wasn't quite there. Once him and Vidic settled they were immense.

Dier has had Skipp, Hoji and Dele doing a lot of donkey work in front of him. So don't agree he hasn't had the protection.

I actually think Dier looks fit and sharp enough to play DM again. I would rather him DM than CB anyway.

It took him 3 seasons to 'settle'..

I was thinking Dier, Dele actually. With Ndombele just ahead. 😉

The only way I could see something work if is Dier played between Japhet and Romero. Those two are dynamic enough on the ball to work with the wing-backs.

Once Dier is side on or ahead of the ball, his lack of peripheral vision lets him down. Like Hojbjerg, no recovery either. Te be effective, he needs everything in front of him which is why Wanyama was a massive upgrade. He could drive forward with the ball.

Dier's other old role was as the dedicated decoy for Vertonghen's runs into the left channel. He was our false centre half.

We could try Japhet in your three, but I couldn't be convinced that he could step into that role either. I've often wondered, and noticed he did well when Jose subbed him into that position last season in the EL.

The only way I could see something work if is Dier played between Japhet and Romero. Those two are dynamic enough on the ball to work with the wing-backs.

Once Dier is side on or ahead of the ball, his lack of peripheral vision lets him down. Like Hojbjerg, no recovery either. Te be effective, he needs everything in front of him which is why Wanyama was a massive upgrade. He could drive forward with the ball.

Dier's other old role was as the dedicated decoy for Vertonghen's runs into the left channel. He was our false centre half.

We could try Japhet in your three, but I couldn't be convinced that he could step into that role either. I've often wondered, and noticed he did well when Jose subbed him into that position last season in the EL.

It's more of a discussion about if Dier had to play. Where would he be at his best and make the least mistakes.

I like your idea of Tanganga Romero either side.

Thats a great call RD . That would help in more ways than one . Dier and PEH in midfield would help our back line no end .
Romero and Sanchez in the middle behind , Tanga and Reggie on the flanks .

Shortly after he joined us he played central defensive midfield. He was excellent slotting back as necessary between Alderweireld and Vertonghen. Our defence was efficient and strong using that system. I have not seen anything better in later seasons at Spurs so a return to that with him dropping between Sanchez anD Romero may have legs. With 2 overlapping full backs, Reggie and Emerson/Tanganga (overlapping not his strength) then I would be comfortable that it would be our strongest defensive set up.