Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skipp

• Gil

• Sanchez

• Total voters
Without a shadow of a doubt, Dier. He put a shift in & showed commitment by screaming at Emerson to track players runs & keep a defensive line. Hugely unlucky with the deflected og but apart from that & a slip, all positive from him. He even saved on the line when Hugo was well beaten.
Hugo was a close second though. Without him it would have been 6!

Couldn’t agree more!

If you look at patterns then it's obvious. He goes defensive at the first sign of trouble. He has done so in every game he has managed for us.

Levy said the next appointment would be a Spurs DNA appointment. Any manager that has an attacking philosophy would have been the right appointment.

Biesla was my 1st choice. Anyone of his ilk.
Leeds are 3 points from 5 games. Lost 5-1 at United and 3-0 at home to Liverpool. They're still being smashed by the big teams and conceding too many goals. It seems Bielsa has learned nothing from last season. If he took that approach at Spurs it wouldn't be long before the fans were on his back.

Leeds are 3 points from 5 games. Lost 5-1 at United and 3-0 at home to Liverpool. They're still being smashed by the big teams and conceding too many goals. It seems Bielsa has learned nothing from last season. If he took that approach at Spurs it wouldn't be long before the fans were on his back.

I don't think that would be the case here. We have better players and the fans want to see an attacking philosophy.

Biesla is miles ahead of Nuno.

I've changed my vote to Hugo. Looking more closely Dier actually had a mare. He should have dealt with the 1st goal. Dele never should have been anywhere near Thiago.

Lukaku battered him. He was caught out of position too many times again. He just makes too many mistakes every game.

He is trying these days though.

Lo Celso and Emerson were shocking.

I've changed my vote to Hugo. Looking more closely Dier actually had a mare. He should have dealt with the 1st goal. Dele never should have been anywhere near Thiago.

Lukaku battered him. He was caught out of position too many times again. He just makes too many mistakes every game.

Dele has come out and admitted the first goal was his fault. That's admirable but I'm not sure how he would have stopped it unless he marked Silva from outside the box.

Kane may have dealt with it as well. He was totally free and standing on the middle of the 6 yard line. His job in Nuno's setup is not to mark anyone but to be one of the jumpers. You won't be surprised to know that he just stood there feet planted watching it unfold.

With Dier though, this is where you can't put in someones football brain what isn't there. The only thing he should be doing is attacking the ball. Read the flight and attack it.

The scenario where both our big men, Kane and Dier, are up in the air in that zone and it is never a goal. That has been Spurs for about 3 or 4 years now.

I missed the game and haven't seen any highlights yet. Worthwhile watching the match back or am I better off being ignorant of a 3-0 loss to Chelsea?
Watch the first half an hour , forget the rest .
Nuno was outwitted by Tuchel at half time , even though everyone knew Kante was coming on and what he would do .

To let that happen was scandalous . It can’t have been a surprise . Put Skipp on and make him man mark Kante wherever and everywhere he went .

Watch the first half an hour , forget the rest .
Nuno was outwitted by Tuchel at half time , even though everyone knew Kante was coming on and what he would do .

To let that happen was scandalous . It can’t have been a surprise . Put Skipp on and make him man mark Kante wherever and everywhere he went .
Great minds there Walt, not the Skipp bit though, but I have always thought stop Kante having all that freedom and the Chavs as good as they are do not operate as well without their conductor.

64 passes, 10 clearances: Eric Dier was unsung hero for Spurs against Chelsea

Spurs might have lost out to Chelsea yesterday during the Super Sunday clash, but there were at least a few positives for Nuno Santo to take.

The opening 45 minutes was the obvious good takeaway for the Tottenham boss. And while they couldn’t build on it in the second 45, it at least gives Santo something to work with.

In terms of individuals, there wasn’t much to shout home about when it comes to standout displays. However, defender Eric Dier did his reputation among the Spurs fans no harm whatsoever.

Photo by Mark Leech/Offside/Offside via Getty Images
So often the fall guy in the past, Dier actually put in a decent performance against the Blues. And following a summer which saw Cristian Romero arrive for £46m and other defenders linked, Dier does deserve credit for standing up to the challenge.

Indeed, the stats against Chelsea for Dier show just how good he was.

Eric Dier stats show a good effort from the Spurs man
Despite conceding three goals, Dier actually put in an impressive enough performance for Tottenham in the end. Yes, his job is to help keep clean-sheets. But there were other facets to Dier’s game.

Per stats from Whoscored, Dier outperformed fellow defender and newboy Romero quite considerably. The Englishman completed a game high ten clearances as he tried to keep Chelsea at bay.

Impressively, Dier also made 64 passes – second only to Pierre Hojbjerg for Spurs – and completed a decent enough 84% of those passes.

Compare those stats with Romero – who made zero clearances and more than 20 less passes – and Dier proved he is still very much a valuable player.

Of course, Dier will want to keep more clean-sheets. He won’t celebrate the fact he had a half-decent game when it came in a 3-0 win. But sometimes, even in defeat, a good performance needs highlighting.

Dier got caught on numerous occasions. I get that he has improved but let's not pretend he was faultless yesterday. He was far from it and made numerous mistakes.

What I am liking with him this season he really is giving it ago. He has leaned down and worked on his fitness and acceleration.

But top defenders rarely make mistakes. I remember prime Toby and Jan you could count on one hand the mistakes they made in a season.

I think Sanchez and Romero is the way forward.

Sanchez and Romero are going to be awesome.
Three at the back with Dier will also work .
For his limited time so far , ive been impressed with Royal .
still coming to terms with the prem and it’s pace and how to deal with everything and everyone .

Dier got caught on numerous occasions. I get that he has improved but let's not pretend he was faultless yesterday. He was far from it and made numerous mistakes.

What I am liking with him this season he really is giving it ago. He has leaned down and worked on his fitness and acceleration.

But top defenders rarely make mistakes. I remember prime Toby and Jan you could count on one hand the mistakes they made in a season.

I think Sanchez and Romero is the way forward.

Let's not pretend anyone has said he's faultless?!

Top defenders often make mistakes, I still recall Ferdinand joining Manure, who then spent 3 seasons making one critical mistake after another and getting slated for it.

Toby and Jan in tehir prime had Dier in front of them, who did a fine grand job under Poch's system of protecting them and cutting out attacks again again - it's a shame he doesn't have someone like him in front of him now.

Dier is a CB newbie, without the protection you'd expect from his midfield and that Toby and Jan enjoyed so much.

Last season, we played almost on our own 6 yard box and as I said then getting constantly battered isn't the way to learn and perfect your position., and criticism of him and or Sanchez was in most part poorly evidenced and poorly constructed, when so much of it should have been directed at our tactical genuis - who wasn't.

I almost hope for Nuno to push him back into a DM'er (or Romero) role and have Sanchez and Romero (or Dier) behind him.

I suspect it would at times be like allowing one of them to push beyond the midfield and create that extra attacking dimension, we so clearly need.

So for me it's important to understand tactically and consider the context when we look at how key players are performing. No player in a team can do it all on his own.

Let's not pretend anyone has said he's faultless?!

Top defenders often make mistakes, I still recall Ferdinand joining Manure, who then spent 3 seasons making one critical mistake after another and getting slated for it.

Toby and Jan in tehir prime had Dier in front of them, who did a fine grand job under Poch's system of protecting them and cutting out attacks again again - it's a shame he doesn't have someone like him in front of him now.

Dier is a CB newbie, without the protection you'd expect from his midfield and that Toby and Jan enjoyed so much.

Last season, we played almost on our own 6 yard box and as I said then getting constantly battered isn't the way to learn and perfect your position., and criticism of him and or Sanchez was in most part poorly evidenced and poorly constructed, when so much of it should have been directed at our tactical genuis - who wasn't.

I almost hope for Nuno to push him back into a DM'er (or Romero) role and have Sanchez and Romero (or Dier) behind him.

I suspect it would at times be like allowing one of them to push beyond the midfield and create that extra attacking dimension, we so clearly need.

So for me it's important to understand tactically and consider the context when we look at how key players are performing. No player in a team can do it all on his own.

Top defenders don't make many. Rio when he first joined United wasn't quite there. Once him and Vidic settled they were immense.

Dier has had Skipp, Hoji and Dele doing a lot of donkey work in front of him. So don't agree he hasn't had the protection.

I actually think Dier looks fit and sharp enough to play DM again. I would rather him DM than CB anyway.

Dier spoke after the game and said the first two goals were sloppy. After the first the team were trying to get back to their first half level of performance but the second killed the game.
Glenn Hoddle commented he heard Dier screaming at Hojbjerg to get out and close in on Kante to no avail which allowed the shot and wicked deflection.
Dele Alli commented in the Spurs programme that he feels fit and stronger. He put a lot of work in through the summer to be ready. Running long distances to maintain his stamina to last 90 minutes. He also said he enjoys playing number 8, slightly deeper and its the position he is more familiar with.

So it seems these two have the right attitude and fitness, something Nuno wants to improve upon with the squad.

Top defenders don't make many. Rio when he first joined United wasn't quite there. Once him and Vidic settled they were immense.

Dier has had Skipp, Hoji and Dele doing a lot of donkey work in front of him. So don't agree he hasn't had the protection.

I actually think Dier looks fit and sharp enough to play DM again. I would rather him DM than CB anyway.
Thats a great call RD . That would help in more ways than one . Dier and PEH in midfield would help our back line no end .
Romero and Sanchez in the middle behind , Tanga and Reggie on the flanks .

Last edited: