Most pointless Imps game ever... | Vital Football

Most pointless Imps game ever...

NottyImp

Vital Football Legend
... following on from monkeyg's post about the foggy game versus York on another thread, what was your most pointless Imps game?

Mine was our fantastically dull 0-0 draw at home to Exeter under Buckley. It was so mind-numbingly uninteresting that I spent most of the second half trading bad jokes with Vin. And it was, literally , pointless of course.

... following on from monkeyg's post about the foggy game versus York on another thread, what was your most pointless Imps game?

Mine was our fantastically dull 0-0 draw at home to Exeter under Buckley. It was so mind-numbingly uninteresting that I spent most of the second half trading bad jokes with Vin. And it was, literally , pointless of course.
Surely we got a point for a draw?

Away to Telford in Moyses last season. I think we couldn't go down as it was very late in the season and the game was played slower than a training session with some of the worst players we've had in recent times.
Only bit of enjoyment was Moyses joining in with some taunts about his athletic figure

Under the Cowleys, for us it was probably the 2-0 defeat on a damp cold Tuesday night in March 2017 at Borehamwood. No-one could get off early, M25 dreadful, arrived as the game started. Total attendance 1,002 !!!!!!!!!!! ................And I think we were top of the NFL.

No parking, miserable staff, crap ground, no roof, no atmosphere, none of the team turned up. Dreadful game in which we went 1-0 down slightly against the run of play; then a certain Bruno Andrade finally put us out of our misery.

No points for the Imps................ Utterly pointless for us.

If it had been a theatre performance, you'd have wanted your money back.

Last edited:
Any game we seem to have against Cambridge!

The final game of 2008/09(?), home to Macclesfield, Somma sent off. 0-0. Sutton didn't move from his seat in the dugout all game, neither team could be bothered and I don't think we even filled the bench did we?

Under the Cowleys, for us it was probably the 2-0 defeat on a damp cold Tuesday night in March 2017 at Borehamwood. No-one could get off early, M25 dreadful, arrived as the game started. Total attendance 1,002 !!!!!!!!!!! ................And I think we were top of the NFL.

No parking, miserable staff, crap ground, no roof, no atmosphere, none of the team turned up. Went 1-0 down slightly against the run of play, then a certain Bruno Andrade finally put us out of our misery.

I drove down from Lincoln for that one. Does that give me dibs on an Everton ticket :LOL:

Cheltenham away 2015-16. Moyses last game in charge, Cheltenham already champions, we were safely mired in mid-table obscurity again. Comfortably thumped 3-0 and I thought our club was going absolutely nowhere..

Any game we seem to have against Cambridge!

The final game of 2008/09(?), home to Macclesfield, Somma sent off. 0-0. Sutton didn't move from his seat in the dugout all game, neither team could be bothered and I don't think we even filled the bench did we?
I thought of this as I was buying my ticket for the game on the 29th...do i even bother going?

No parking, miserable staff, crap ground, no roof, no atmosphere, none of the team turned up. Dreadful game in which we went 1-0 down slightly against the run of play; then a certain Bruno Andrade finally put us out of our misery.

If it had been a theatre performance, you'd have wanted your money back.
But we discovered Bruno so not entirely pontless?

I seem to remember a friendly against Luton that was abandoned due to fog at 0-0. Really glad I turned out for that one.

Well little lateral this, but travelled to Chester v Carlisle (following on from our failed promotion match at Fulham in 82).
Had already had the long trip to Fulham the day before getting back to Coventry where I was a student in the middle of the night.
Then madly decided to get on the train to Chester after waking up midway through Wednesday.
Got the bus into Coventry and caught a train to Birmingham, then one to Crewe, then a third to Chester.
Walked all the way to Sealand Road and just made kick off. The aim was for relegated and bottom of the table Chester, with nothing to play for, to beat Carlisle and secure our promotion instead of the Cumbrians.
I recall there was a small number of Imps fans there, so unusually a game with three sets of fans!
Anyway, it all went Carlisle's way as expected, 3-0 to them. Our promotion bid finally ended.
I then did the long walk back to Chester stn and managed to get the last train of the night back to Crewe.
And then had to lie on a bench through the night until the first early train to Birmingham appeared. On my own. Utterly miserable. Cold. Very pssed off. 48 hrs of travelling with a double failure. And broke.

Think that comes into the pointless category.

Away at Orient in the Saturday before Xmas 2001 I think, we got knocked out of the FA Cup by them 2 weeks previously...great birthday present that. Then we got stuffed 0-5 in the freezing cold. It was brass monkeys cold. That hurt.