Most Gutting AVFC Departure? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Most Gutting AVFC Departure?

Sorry, sir den, I wasn’t trying to copy you! Just noticed you said the same about Gidman and Gray.

You're right, especially considering where he went. Thought we were their equals at least. Bruce Rioch was another from the 70's that was a choker.
I think that was the first time I realised that the players didn't feel the same about the club as I did! Plus he was a he'll of a full back.

All mentioned hurt to varying degrees but even at my ripe old age I see one of us in that number 10 shirt, my 11 year old with Grealish 10 on the back playing in the garden yesterday and a wet substance forms in the corner of my eyes. I will be absolutely devastated if he goes

We, as a club, have a long history of giving away talented youngsters, such as Gary Cahill, Daniel Johnson, Callum Robinson and Marc Albrighton, not to mention Boaz Myhill and Wayne Hennessay. The two biggest cock ups in my life time have definitely been Danny Blanchflower and George Graham. These are all players that came through our youth set up.
As for Grealish, I don't think he's as good as most fans think. He has tremendous potential but, there is something about him that makes me doubt he will reach that potential. I get the impression he'd be happy being a big fish in a very small pond, rather than at least trying to swim with the biggest fish in the ocean.

We, as a club, have a long history of giving away talented youngsters, such as Gary Cahill, Daniel Johnson, Callum Robinson and Marc Albrighton, not to mention Boaz Myhill and Wayne Hennessay. The two biggest cock ups in my life time have definitely been Danny Blanchflower and George Graham. These are all players that came through our youth set up.
As for Grealish, I don't think he's as good as most fans think. He has tremendous potential but, there is something about him that makes me doubt he will reach that potential. I get the impression he'd be happy being a big fish in a very small pond, rather than at least trying to swim with the biggest fish in the ocean.

Plenty of them over the years.

McInally - I think if he would have stayed, we would have won the league in 1990

Deano - probably my favourite player (not "the" st - as that is God, but just his whole personaility and way of play)

However, quite topical, but I think the most gutting for me, not for the player himself, but for why the player left and where he went, is one Gareth Southgate. When he went to Boro as they were "a more ambitious club and he will get a chance to win trophies", it just gutted me.

On a similar note - the player I was gutted we never got - Juninho - ditto McInally

Broke my heart when Steve Hodge went. Had got a length of lead piping and was in Kingstanding when I heard he'd gone. I'd have been released by now.......

We'd have been here with Doug ultimately - I repeat again our debt was growing in his final years at the club folks.

Difference is, to his credit maybe I'm not sure, under Doug it wouldn't have been such a spectacular fuck up as it happened lol

Suits me as long as the pond (more of a beautiful lake to my mind) is called Villa and he turns into a f**king great big piranha :grinning:

Totally off topic. I'm on holiday and using an Apple laptop for occasional looks at VV. The ads are doing my head in. How do I get rid of them? I'm logged in. Ta.

Dwight Yorke. I was 14 when Yorkie dumped us for man utd, and that's how it felt as well, being dumped for someone better looking. I'd seen plenty from the big Ron era go, Atkinson, Deano, Daley ect but they were on the way down career wise whereas Dwight was in his prime. He was the 1st villa player to leave in my memory who left because he didn't think we were good enough.

Jack would be up there though. He seemingly doesn't want to leave yet might have to to save the club, a disgusting position for us and him to be in. Without him I can't see us getting back up in a loooong time but we need the money. I'll never forgive Xia for putting the club in this fucked up situation.

Wasnt upset at the time and not upset now, shitebag defender and everyone thinks he's great because he 'puts his body on the line'. Thats usually because he's out of position in the first place.
I wouldn’t say Baker is “shitebag” but I definitely think he’s championship quality player only. Would probably be ok for us now but he’s only really mediocre. He’s very “last ditch” which isn’t always a great trait as you said usually means poor positioning and poor reading of the game.