Most "entertaining" Gills XI | Vital Football

Most "entertaining" Gills XI

MedwayModernist

Vital Squad Member
Given the threads going, where someone mentioned the difference between greatest and best, I thought I'd start a thread on your most entertaining GIlls XI. Think Keegan era Newcastle...

So mine is as follows, in a 442

Jim Stannard - Cigar and celery

Dave Nosworthy - I remember him taking the piss out of a Millwall left back once both athletically and verbally in the 4-3 win way back in the day.

Pennock - Own goals and his column in the local paper

Ashby - good player and seemed to be fun, beer cans outside Stoke City after staying up for instance

Southall - the long range goals, crossing, and stories about him in Pennock's columns...

Jarvis - just ludicrously fast and fun to watch schooling right backs time after time with a smile on his face

Hessy - brilliant player, liked to try and ref the game, once literally rugby tackled a forest player and didn't get a red

Dack - brilliantly talent player, plus ridiculous stories about him int press is always funny

John Hodge - old fashioned out and out winger

Super Bob Taylor - worldy after worldy after worldy

Akinbiyi - so fast and fun, but was still fairly crap at finishing, which I found made him fun to watch.

Edit - this is based on me watching from approx 94, so I've never seen the ilk of Morgan, Yeo, Shearer, Cochrane, Bruce, Cascarino, Mehmet, Elsey, Hilliard etc etc etc are

Entertaining eleven:

Vince Bartram

Dave Peach
Nyron Nosworthy
Ian Cox
Dave Shipperley

Dave Mehmet
Andy Hessenthaler
Matty Jarrvis
Bradley Dack

Tony Cascarino
Terry Cochrane
Damian Richardson

Yeah, there`s 12, I couldn`t drop one. There are plenty more to add too !

Entertaining eleven:

Vince Bartram

Dave Peach
Nyron Nosworthy
Ian Cox
Dave Shipperley

Dave Mehmet
Andy Hessenthaler
Matty Jarrvis
Bradley Dack

Tony Cascarino
Terry Cochrane
Damian Richardson

Yeah, there`s 12, I couldn`t drop one. There are plenty more to add too !
That is some midfield 😲

Although I'd have to find room for Ken Price next to Cas

Given the threads going, where someone mentioned the difference between greatest and best, I thought I'd start a thread on your most entertaining GIlls XI. Think Keegan era Newcastle...

So mine is as follows, in a 442

Jim Stannard - Cigar and celery

Dave Nosworthy - I remember him taking the piss out of a Millwall left back once both athletically and verbally in the 4-3 win way back in the day.

Pennock - Own goals and his column in the local paper

Ashby - good player and seemed to be fun, beer cans outside Stoke City after staying up for instance

Southall - the long range goals, crossing, and stories about him in Pennock's columns...

Jarvis - just ludicrously fast and fun to watch schooling right backs time after time with a smile on his face

Hessy - brilliant player, liked to try and ref the game, once literally rugby tackled a forest player and didn't get a red

Dack - brilliantly talent player, plus ridiculous stories about him int press is always funny

John Hodge - old fashioned out and out winger

Super Bob Taylor - worldy after worldy after worldy

Akinbiyi - so fast and fun, but was still fairly crap at finishing, which I found made him fun to watch.

Edit - this is based on me watching from approx 94, so I've never seen the ilk of Morgan, Yeo, Shearer, Cochrane, Bruce, Cascarino, Mehmet, Elsey, Hilliard etc etc etc are

As someone who started going 1992/93 I think you’ve pretty much nailed it.
Would have gone for Asaba over Akinbiyi because his ability to score from anywhere was entertaining but wouldn’t call you a Twat ! for selecting Akinbiyi in his place.

I’d probably have Kedwell on the bench along with Charlie Lee.

Asaba was better individually than Akinbiyi and his almost telepathic understanding with SBT was the best partnership I've seen in my time watching Gills. Akinbiyi, Cody, Bayo and Kedwell would make for an attacking bench.

Correct answer. Well done Chris.

In fact, Wilks +10 more of him. Cochrane sub.

Ps. Wilks is the only Gills player I've seen score with a back heel, part of his hattrick (yes Nobby) against Workington.

Did David Crown not score a backheel once? Possibly also part of a hat trick. Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Did David Crown not score a backheel once? Possibly also part of a hat trick. Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
Possibly. If he did either I don't remember or didn't see it. Alternatively my mind has blocked it as I can't have anyone emulating my hero.

Loads of memories of Terry Cochrane ,but one of my favourite moments of when there was a break in play because of an injury,he was over by the old main stand,and stood there signing autographs

Most entertaining Gills XI?

I think I watched multiple versions of it from 81 to 89. You could pick any Keith Peacock XI as most entertaining (and frustrating) particularly one with Terry Cochrane in it.

Those teams won a lot of games by score lines of 5-2, 6-1, 4-3 etc and the outrageous 8-1 and 10-0.
Having said that, I also witnessed the occasional 2-5, 1-4, 0-6 and 2-4 games. Yep, frustrating for a side with such skill and flair from 1-11. But there were not many 0-0 or 1-0 score lines.

Basically any entertaining Gills XI WILL include Terry Cochrane (and similarly Alan Wills) unless you never saw them play.

Shout out for Dave Smith (the 1980’s one) who had electrifying pace on the wing and made everyone sit up when he came on as a sub, which he often was.

Correct answer. Well done Chris.

In fact, Wilks +10 more of him. Cochrane sub.

Ps. Wilks is the only Gills player I've seen score with a back heel, part of his hattrick (yes Nobby) against Workington.
Sorry about the e I only lucky enough to see him play a few times.I heard a story that the players under the then manager used to practice hitting the cross bar from the edge of the area.Wilks would go off and practice alone .When the rest of the team had had numerous goes to hit the bar Wilks would be called over. Take one shot hit the bar and walk away again.