Mormon Church cuts ties with Boy Scouts | Vital Football

Mormon Church cuts ties with Boy Scouts

mike_field

Vital Football Legend
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) will end its relationship with the Boy Scouts of America, a joint statement says.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44059860

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...2-year-old-us-girl-comes-out-in-mormon-church

The link contained within is probably the better story - PR wise, shutting her down in that manner was an own goal. Letting her speak and spinning that as inclusive even though we disagree would've been far better on the optic front.

On the Boy Scout front though, deciding to move away whilst wishing them well as they become more exclusive? Aren't they in effect discriminating against their own membership on the risk the Boy Scouts could turn them gay? Or accepting there are gays within the ranks who might flourish in a less judgy environment?

Therefore, what's more important - belief or control?

There is nothing stopping LDS members being involved in the American scouting movement however, until now Church youth activities have been coordinated with the Scouting group, as such there have been a number of combined events and even non-combined activities have counted towards Scouting awards. The Church has now decided that it's goals will be better served by pursuing its own activities. To thoes not of the faitgh this may seem a strange move but in reality church activities and programs are continually evolving and changing to meet the changing needs of Church members in a rapidly changing society: For example, we have recently had changes implemented in our program for ministering to members in their own home, also, during the last year, a program of self-reliance education has been and is being further rolled out. Is this not a sign of an organisation growing and changing to meet the memebers' neds and as such perfectly unremarkable.

Knew you'd pipe up lol As said was more the second story that took me as a PR gaff as that does help paint a different picture on the Scouts element I thought.

I had actually expected somebody to offer Boy Scouts being in the news of late was a counter argument for LDS growing a distance.

Book of Mormon in the west end - highly recommend it before it disappears, funniest show I’ve ever seen

I was brought up a stritch Catholic but for some strange reason I over heard my teachers getting me confused and often refered to me as a Moron, I aint never even been to their Church.