more lovell comments | Page 2 | Vital Football

more lovell comments

Looking at this from a different angle Durham do you believe the squad quality has increased this season. We will forget those who resigned and look at the departures and arrivals.

Hess V Parrett
Martin V RCC
Wagstaff V Hanlan
Morris V Rees
Nugent V Fuller

In terms of Quality or anticipated salary can we argue that any of those who left would be on lower salaries than those we signed ?

I think its that basis that people argue that the budget has been reduced.

To be fair to Scally our average attendance dropped 12% on the previous year so some sort of reduction in outgoings is perhaps justified.

Bottom line though is that although it can't be proved for all the reasons stated in the posts above it would APPEAR that we are signing players of lower wage demands and it follows they will probably be of lower quality/experience or more of a gamble

You can do that for so long but people might stop paying league one ticket prices to watch league 2 / non league footballers. It will be interesting to see how the average attendance pans out this season.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveeng.htm

Cant argue with that BUT SL did say he wanted to go for younger players and they normally have a lower base cost plus some of the players you are comparing with have had more than one contract extension as their experience and performance built up with us.

I doubt the salary of players vary by much club to club (with exception's like Sunderland) as agents represent numerous players so tehy have a good idea of what other clubs are paying.

Indeed he did and I would much rather watch a young keen Hanlan than a more experienced but lazier striker. I won't name names but seen plenty over my years !

I think the recurring theme on the RK interview was the lack of progression and the lack of any real long term strategy. We just fight relegation each year and at some point we will drop.

Meanwhile Scally keeps bleating on about challenging for promotion, seeking investments, catering and conferencing, GFC schools and new stadiums.

We need a bit of investment in the core product as well or a pricing structure that reflects the product on display.

I think Peterborough fans will bump up the gate on Saturday but interesting to see what Blackpool is in a few weeks - possibly sub 4000 ?

That post is baffling if true, Durham, and disturbing. Are you seriously suggesting SL doesn't know his overall budget or how much of a budget he has for new players/signings?

So if as you say SL has little idea how much a target player will cost to get or his current contractual terms, how the hell is SL supposed to decided which areas of the squad need prioritising and strengthening? Goalscorers generally are more expensive than defenders for example.

Also, if you say SL gives PS a list of players he wants (for example 3 left backs) and lists them in priority of choice ( a logical thing to do?) but SL ends up with his third choice not his first choice then as you keep quoting "SL got the players he wanted" then yes you are correct he did, but not who he might have wanted.

From your post above it sounds very much like SL gives PS a list of players in positions he feels we need players and then it's up to PS as to whether SL gets his first choice or fifth choice depending on what terms we can get him on, in short PS is putting together the squad on what we can afford and SL has to work with it.

if when SL spoke last season (about April time I think) about having his targets and players he wanted for this season (presumably before he knew his budget) he was speaking about the players we ended up with, I'd be amazed.

I wouldn’t be amazed at all. I really don’t think Lovell would have been surprised by the budget he was given in the summer. He has been at the club a while including last summer when our signings were of a similar ilk.

He would have targeted players we could afford.

That post is baffling if true, Durham, and disturbing. Are you seriously suggesting SL doesn't know his overall budget or how much of a budget he has for new players/signings?

So if as you say SL has little idea how much a target player will cost to get or his current contractual terms, how the hell is SL supposed to decided which areas of the squad need prioritising and strengthening? Goalscorers generally are more expensive than defenders for example.

Also, if you say SL gives PS a list of players he wants (for example 3 left backs) and lists them in priority of choice ( a logical thing to do?) but SL ends up with his third choice not his first choice then as you keep quoting "SL got the players he wanted" then yes you are correct he did, but not who he might have wanted.

From your post above it sounds very much like SL gives PS a list of players in positions he feels we need players and then it's up to PS as to whether SL gets his first choice or fifth choice depending on what terms we can get him on, in short PS is putting together the squad on what we can afford and SL has to work with it.

SL will have some idea what the budget is but not a exact number, it is not as simple as that.

SL will have some idea of what players are on based on what most players are on at most clubs which as i said wont vary by much but it wont be SL that sorts out a players contracts or opens negotiations with the agents (although the scouts my already know if he is up for a move).

Which players he gets is give and take, as every players contract is unique.

I doubt if SL gives a massive list of players, maybe 2 or 3 for each position and most will be similar players etc - It would be unrealistic to have a list of must have players but there will be a list of postilions which have a higher priority to fill and others who are just squad players.

It may be if we get our number one choice for that postilion and we pay over the odds so we may have to go for the number 3 choice in another - happens in every club, that is football.

The only thing I know is our average attendance (gate receipts) puts us in the bottom third, our spending on agents fees puts us in the bottom third, our spending on transfer fees puts us in the bottom third, our results on the pitch put us in the bottom third.

I am so disappointed that Bromley has got a problem with Scally. Without knowing the personal scenario, I do think Bromley needs to start to consider running a business, even if it is a corner shop or, maybe a home based one.