more lovell comments | Vital Football

more lovell comments

wxgill

Vital 1st Team Regular
I read the latest comments with interest:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/i-wont-tolerate-much-more-189876/

Lovell refers to lack of knowledge - is that a link to the club buying non-league players?

Is the next reference aimed at the strikers?

“We give them the confidence to go and play and I was really pleased up until the first goal after 10 minutes, I thought ‘yeah good, fair play, we are in this game, we were creating things’, but it becomes a worry when you create a few things and nothing seems to happen. "

It's getting close to Scally pushing the trapdoor button i would guess.

"We give them the confidence to go and play"

Are you sure Steve? I bet the players are full of confidence after your public slating in the last two weeks and taking zero personal responsibility for the results...

The KoL story, 'it's their fault' was the headline, I think I posted it earlier, the players simply won't like that.

I think SL is losing it a bit.

It may be his inexperience at this level but most of the top managers defend their players to the press before having a go at them behind closed doors. His only saving grace is that he has not picked out individuals this week, like he did Tom Eaves last week.

The other problem is that he does not follow up on his threats. He indicated that he may play a lot of first teamers at Welling - he didn't. He said last week that Tom Eaves may be dropped if he is not doing the business - he hasn't. He has also not brought them in for training on a Sunday or any similar punishment.

I would be interested to know whether they ever watch videos of their performances. I would make them watch the Accrington and Burton games, then the Wimbledon and Rochdale ones. Spot the difference?

As for the injuries, much though I rate Zak, I don't think his absence is the main problem. There is too much space in front of the defence. We are possibly missing Bingham a bit but we didn't really have a defensive midfielder last year after he got injured and we looked organised away from home then, but a shambles now.

Lovell knows Bingham is injury prone but did not sign any cover for him signing attacking midfielders instead. Why sign 3 20 year olds unless they were cheap. Nash should be given a chance by Lovell he must be better in front of goal than Wilkinson and Eaves. Lovell is now beginning to realise his signings leave a lot to be desired I think.

We all read things differently. Lovell says a bit more than some managers and doesn't deal entirely in cliché. I think he is more frank in his comments than recent managers we have had and I don't read any of his recent stuff as a rant, or as destructive.

If you think about what he says I don't believe he is criticising ability, or effort. Players lose confidence collectively and individually and some stuggle to cope in that situation. Dealing with that is one of the essentials of making a career in this profession and he's trying to get them to take that on.

Liam Nash needs to be starting for Dulwich Hamlet and scoring goals before we even think of trying him again.

Time is running out for Lovell. I would like him to succeed and turn it around but it's looking unlikely.

Odds on him still being here at Christmas?

In over 25 years at utd I only remember Ferggie digging out a player after a match on two occasions, one was van nistelrooy (after he fought with Ronaldo in training) and cannot remember the other.

The three failing managers since him have all had a go at players.

It is the job of the coach to get the best out of the players he has. That means the training, organisation and attitude. Generally it all has to be down to the coach so stop moaning and get on with your job lol.

There is some of what SL says I agree with but some of it is just heading down a road that is not doing SL any favours.

The players are the only ones who can turn this around and they need to show some character and bollocks and prove they're worthy of a place in the team by performing to their best individually, if we get 8 in the team playing to their best individually the team will do ok. However, is SL helping them do that by playing a system formation that plays to their individual/ collective strengths, not for me at the moment, and I doubt outing them in public as he has recently has done much for the confidence or will go down well with the modern day footballer. I just hope a few of them adopt the 'I will show you' attitude, but I doubt they will.

SL seems to call it as he sees it, whether the players like that or is the way to go with the little pettles nowadays is debatable.

Time is running out for Lovell. I would like him to succeed and turn it around but it's looking unlikely.

Odds on him still being here at Christmas?

Pretty sure he will be here at Christmas and beyond. There is plenty of time to get back to winning ways. Remember last season we were almost dead and buried when he took over.

Pretty sure he will be here at Christmas and beyond. There is plenty of time to get back to winning ways. Remember last season we were almost dead and buried when he took over.

While we started of bright at the beginning of Lovell reign it went stale towards the end of the season and has not exactly been the greatest of starts, if things do not get any better i cannot see him being there for that long.

Buying players from non-league and hoping that they will make the jump and transition to league one was always going to be a risky business and I think it's beginning to show with Liam Nash and, to a lesser extent, with Josh Rees (although you can mitigate in the case of Rees, given his outstanding form and performances with Bromley last season).

Steve Lovell is partly at fault here- after all, he orchestrated those signings- but what else could do with the limited transfer budget to spend pre-season? He seems to be dropping hints that he thinks Scally should have given him more money to spend.

Pennock, Taylor and Lovell have all worked with Nash and apart from 5 mins here or there he hasn't got anywhere the first 11. Lovell has praised his attitude but he obviously isn't up to it. A shame but it was always a gamble.

He seems to be dropping hints that he thinks Scally should have given him more money to spend.

I listened and I don't think that he gave those hints. Steve was asked repeatedly about the budget and each time replied that he doesn't concern himself with budgets. He got the players he asked for in the summer.

Of course he is going to say that, any criticism of the dear leader would likely hasten his departure but I don't think Lovell gave any hints that he should have been a bigger budget.

He did say that the club won't progress without external investment but I think Scally would agree with that especially in terms of new stadium progression.

I agree I dont think SL gave any hint of not getting the budget / players he asked for, I also dont think (and hope) that he would be afraid to criticize PS in a fair way if he wanted to.

Part of being manager is being able to negotiate a budget and SL will have put his plans and wish list of players to PS and then the club will see how much they can get them for - its not a case of PS saying you have X to spend and that is it - as he said he got the players he asked for.

What EXACTLY was the transfer budget?

Not "What do you reckon it was" or "What my mate/the bloke down the pub told me he knew it was" or "We all know that it's" or any other b*ll*cks like that.

WHAT THE F*CK WAS IT?

Coz I don't think any of us know the figure or how it compares to any other club.

Durham, would there have been any point in SL going after players he knew we couldn't afford just so he could say on radio Kent that he didn't get the players he wanted?

He went after players that he knew we could or might be able afford, that doesn't mean he didn't want better players or more expensive players, or got the players he had in mind before he knew our budget, but as Bromley says, he is hardly likely to go on Radio Kent and say it is he.

As I've said before, if when SL spoke last season (about April time I think) about having his targets and players he wanted for this season (presumably before he knew his budget) he was speaking about the players we ended up with, I'd be amazed. The budget dictates our signings and the quality (or lack of) we bring in.

Every manager wants more money and better players - just like we always want better in most things but you dont actually know if he is happy, what the budget is, how much he has left etc - but hey you can make it up.

Do you know how a budget is put together at a football club?

SL will have very little idea how much a target player will cost to get or his current contractual terms

Between them they will come up with a squad plan and a list of targets for each position based on scouting reports and then our club will make enquirer with the club or agent on if we can get them and for how much - some we will get some we wont for various reasons which have nothing to do with the contract on offer - I know of a number of players who did not want to move to Kent or travel for family reasons - dont forget many players have young families.

The budget will always flex up or down based on salaries of players released and new contracts awarded with a contingency to cover injuries etc

PS does not just say to SL you have x to spend - it is not SL who negotiates the contracts.

Looking at this from a different angle Durham do you believe the squad quality has increased this season. We will forget those who resigned and look at the departures and arrivals.

Hess V Parrett
Martin V RCC
Wagstaff V Hanlan
Morris V Rees
Nugent V Fuller

In terms of Quality or anticipated salary can we argue that any of those who left would be on lower salaries than those we signed ?

I think its that basis that people argue that the budget has been reduced.

To be fair to Scally our average attendance dropped 12% on the previous year so some sort of reduction in outgoings is perhaps justified.

Bottom line though is that although it can't be proved for all the reasons stated in the posts above it would APPEAR that we are signing players of lower wage demands and it follows they will probably be of lower quality/experience or more of a gamble

You can do that for so long but people might stop paying league one ticket prices to watch league 2 / non league footballers. It will be interesting to see how the average attendance pans out this season.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveeng.htm