Morality test. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Morality test.

McGrath4Pope - 4/2/2014 16:12

Green Tea - 4/2/2014 14:32

How important is it for a person to live even if they don't want to?

I put very important

Reason for which;

Life is a gift we should appreciate"

I think the children question and the prison question let my score down...I dont think its important for children to help parents - we are not their bosses. And I think society in the long term needs to find other solutions than prisons. - dont agree with prisons being there to punish.

I actually reckon, ironically, that your answer to your favourite question
is what lowered your score - I scored 42 and answered 'not important' to that one because 'In severe circumstances people have the right to chose to die with dignity'. I don't think I can think of too much less moral than forcibly keeping someone alive who does not feel they have dignity and to tell them to "appreciate their life" would be a terrible thing to say.

That is strange. In the blurb you get at the end it specifically says that you believe that "Life is sacred." It's contradicting itself, isn't it?

The Fear - 4/2/2014 16:12

I shall be deleting 4popes post shortly, NO ONE is meant to beat me! lol

Well it is your site so you are entitled to I suppose. Though I'd suggest that with entitlement or privilege comes responsibility...

:113:

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 4/2/2014 16:19

McGrath4Pope - 4/2/2014 16:12

Green Tea - 4/2/2014 14:32

How important is it for a person to live even if they don't want to?

I put very important

Reason for which;

Life is a gift we should appreciate"

I think the children question and the prison question let my score down...I dont think its important for children to help parents - we are not their bosses. And I think society in the long term needs to find other solutions than prisons. - dont agree with prisons being there to punish.

I actually reckon, ironically, that your answer to your favourite question
is what lowered your score - I scored 42 and answered 'not important' to that one because 'In severe circumstances people have the right to chose to die with dignity'. I don't think I can think of too much less moral than forcibly keeping someone alive who does not feel they have dignity and to tell them to "appreciate their life" would be a terrible thing to say.

That is strange. In the blurb you get at the end it specifically says that you believe that "Life is sacred." It's contradicting itself, isn't it?

But it also says: "However, you will want to see an adjusted case-by-case application of standards for the sake of fairness to all people. Lastly, you are very likely to appeal to standards of individual or personal conscience, as well as of honour, dignity or integrity."

I think the "life is sacred" line is based upon how you treat others, that you have no right to dictate how they lead their lives or to take it upon yourself to end it. I would argue that a terminally ill person, who no longer feels any sense of dignity and who wishes to end their life is merely 'existing' and not 'living' any sort of 'life' at all. The ability of self determination is surely as sacred as life itself.

Ah, that makes more sense. I agree with that point of view as well. It would be interesting to see exactly where you were losing points.

It is interesting to me how Moral values evolve over time. In Medieval times girls were married off at 12/13 whereas now we see that as repugnant.

This is certainly a moving target, although there are a core set of values that I would think would be pretty much universal all the time.

You scored 41.5 out of a total of 44.

Audience's Scores

1 % 1 % 32 % 66 %

0-11 12-22 23-33 34-44

Well that's wrong for a start lol

McGrath4Pope - 4/2/2014 16:19

The Fear - 4/2/2014 16:12

I shall be deleting 4popes post shortly, NO ONE is meant to beat me! lol

Well it is your site so you are entitled to I suppose. Though I'd suggest that with entitlement or privilege comes responsibility...

:113:

No no, just all about me mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :153:

Think that was one that would have dropped me a score, I said it is right that someone should be able to choose to die with some dignity.

mike_field - 4/2/2014 16:35

You scored 41.5 out of a total of 44.

Audience's Scores

1 % 1 % 32 % 66 %

0-11 12-22 23-33 34-44

Well that's wrong for a start lol

Well, yeah. That throws the whole scoring system into doubt then!!!

:57: :57: :57: :57: :57: :57:

I can certainly see the side of wanting to die if it one's wish. But life is very precious as its what nature tells us. Lets say you run over a badger and its going to die in pain - it's instinct will still tell it to claw and drag his way off the road. When it could easily instead just lay there and wait for next vehicle.
I think humanity can get into a depressive state over an injury, or illness and this state of mind can then manifest itself into wanting to say goodbye to the world. Yet maybe those in a positive mindset should not fall victim to this state of mind knowing that the life around us struggles every day.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 4/2/2014 16:31

Ah, that makes more sense. I agree with that point of view as well. It would be interesting to see exactly where you were losing points.

It is interesting to me how Moral values evolve over time. In Medieval times girls were married off at 12/13 whereas now we see that as repugnant.

This is certainly a moving target, although there are a core set of values that I would think would be pretty much universal all the time.

I find that kind of thing fascinating too. Trying to pin down the core set of values is nigh on impossible - every time I come up with one I can think of countless examples in history where that value was not necessarily upheld.

I've posted this video before but it's a great Stewart Lee 'bit' highlighting the shifting nature of morality:

[youtube=4n-UGQcG3Jw]

LOL McGrath. I love Stuart Lee, and that really does ay it all.

Unfortunately, it's true. I wish it were just a funny anecdote, but a huge number of people do follow that thought process.

Green Tea - I think you're absolutely right, life is very precious but to me your analogy of an animal being hit by a car actually highlights the difference between humans and every other species on earth. As a generalisation everything else strives to exist plain and simple, they exist for food, water and ultimately to reproduce. It's a tunnel vision existence with very little cognitive thought or concept of the larger world around them. A badger has no concept of dignity (why do I sense that could be a random quote nominee) and certainly no innate need to have it in order to define itself as being one of it's species. Human beings do have that need. Having dignity (not in a vain sense) is central to ones own sense of worth and value. Which is why I think someone who is terminally ill and suffering, both physically and mentally, has a basic human right to choose to die.

Life is precious but only if it's being lived as opposed to simply happening.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 4/2/2014 16:48

LOL McGrath. I love Stuart Lee, and that really does ay it all.

Unfortunately, it's true. I wish it were just a funny anecdote, but a huge number of people do follow that thought process.

Best comedian in the UK by far.

Unfortunately you're correct, the wider point in that anecdote is shockingly pertinent.

I know we are all guilty of making assumptions, especially if they suit our overall view on the world. I try and take an opposite view on everything before forming a final opinion. Playing Devil's advocate opens up a whole new set of thought processes on almost every subject. In many cases, I just don't have strong opinions on the subject, because you can see both sides.

I wish I could do it for everything, but it can be hard work so it's just not possible, but I try as hard as I can to apply it as much as possible.

There are quite a few people I know that could do with starting to do it as well.

Spot on 4pope. I know I had this discussion a few times over the years with brain ops etc. machine to be turned off was my instructions, that was as far as you were allowed to go though. It would have taken someone close and who loved me, to 'murder' me if the worst case after op had happened.

That just can't be right. You have to walk in the shoes of those who have extreme health issues before you can truly form an opinion on this. Some live every second in torture and agony. We put animals down out of mercy but make humans suffer.

We went to a view a house the other day and the bloke selling it was putting his cat down becuase he didn't want to disrupt them with moving!!

The Fear - 4/2/2014 17:17

Spot on 4pope. I know I had this discussion a few times over the years with brain ops etc. machine to be turned off was my instructions, that was as far as you were allowed to go though. It would have taken someone close and who loved me, to 'murder' me if the worst case after op had happened.

That just can't be right. You have to walk in the shoes of those who have extreme health issues before you can truly form an opinion on this. Some live every second in torture and agony. We put animals down out of mercy but make humans suffer.

Yes but where is the moral standpoint on this topic?

Let them kill themselves?

or

Save them from doing so?

Green Tea - 4/2/2014 17:30

The Fear - 4/2/2014 17:17

Yes but where is the moral standpoint on this topic?

Let them kill themselves?

or

Save them from doing so?

Do they need 'saving' though? Is 'save' the right word? I'd say to interfere is to condemn them to misery. Therefore, morally, I think it is right to let them die with dignity in the manner they choose.